UD-4 Information

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Our new CD-4/UD-4 section moderation has contributed some great info and literature on this "strange", forgotten format. In the coming month or so, I will create a special web page on QQ that will be the definative source on the web concerning UD-4 (I hope)

Stay tuned for more info on the quad forum that I know the least about. There are many things about this format that have been discussed that are wrong, and we aim to straigten them out.

Maybe even before the "Running on Empty" DVD-A comes out!! :banana:

:-jon

JonUrban said:
Our new CD-4/UD-4 section moderation has contributed some great info and literature on this "strange", forgotten format. In the coming month or so, I will create a special web page on QQ that will be the definative source on the web concerning UD-4 (I hope)

Stay tuned for more info on the quad forum that I know the least about. There are many things about this format that have been discussed that are wrong, and we aim to straigten them out.

Maybe even before the "Running on Empty" DVD-A comes out!! :banana:

In it's day, there were some AES papers and some technical white papers on the format by the originators - Dr. Duane Cooper and Nippon Columbia. If someone has their hands on those, it could shed some info/light on UD-4, etc.

It is my understanding that the UD-4 format was a strange combination of QS and CD-4. The audio band was split in two, and the lower half used a CD-4 like system to separate the audio, and the upper half used a QS like matrix system to do the same. It supposedly avoided the pitfalls of CD-4, not needing a special stylus and all that, because the high end wasn't on the subcarriers. I do not know if any noise reduction was used for the subcarriers like ANRS for CD-4. It seems it wouldn't be necessary since noise reduction works on the high end. Also, I don't know if anyone knows how good was the matrix decoding part. I used to work in a hifi repair shop near the end of the quad era, and I never once saw a UD-4 decoder (demodulator) or a UD-4 record. I also don't know what the subcarrier frequency was, which would tell me if you could use a CD-4 demod to partially decode it. I guess you could split the band with a crossover, send the lower half to a cd-4 demod and the upper half to a QS decoder, and send the outputs to a four channel mixer and mix the eight signals down to four, and you would have a UD-4 decoder!

The Quadfather

bmoura said:
In it's day, there were some AES papers and some technical white papers on the format by the originators - Dr. Duane Cooper and Nippon Columbia. If someone has their hands on those, it could shed some info/light on UD-4, etc.

I have all of those AES papers about UD-4, as well as those on CD-4 and the matrix formats. I have already sent Jon much of it, which is what his new page on UD-4 will be based on. I hadn't sent the AES technical information, but will do so now. He (Jon) already has the information booklet that Nippon-Columbia offered to the press when the system was introduced for sale. I will scan and send the AES technical papers shortly. UD-4 was initially sold in the Japanese market, then introduced in England. Plans were for USA introduction when the quad market collapsed. I have supplied Jon with a complete disc release list. There was only one demodulator model sold, the UDA-100, which also demodulates CD-4 and has basic non-logic positions for SQ & QS as well. There were several prototype models made that only demodulate UD-4, having no CD-4 or matrix settings. I have the full schematics and service manual for the UDA-100. I once submitted the schematics to a contact at JVC in Japan who ran the CD-4 department back in the day. The UDA-100 is based on later JVC designs in the demodulation section, having automatic carrier level control. I have all the prototype models, some which play in the matrix only mode, and others that add the carrier directionality, in addition to the commercially sold UDA-100. I find UD-4 to be a fine system. The only albums that I can directly compare musically and separation wise to other formats are Quadraphile, Tubular Bells 4YX-9026, and the Buddy Cole 4RX-9012 which was released by Alshire in the USA on QS and Q8. I have never found the other title that would directly compare, 4RX-9011 The World of Bacharach & Webb / 101 Strings Orchestra. I'm pressed for time now, I'll post or send more information next week.

Quad First said:
I have all of those AES papers about UD-4, as well as those on CD-4 and the matrix formats. I have already sent Jon much of it, which is what his new page on UD-4 will be based on. I hadn't sent the AES technical information, but will do so now. He (Jon) already has the information booklet that Nippon-Columbia offered to the press when the system was introduced for sale. I will scan and send the AES technical papers shortly. UD-4 was initially sold in the Japanese market, then introduced in England. Plans were for USA introduction when the quad market collapsed. I have supplied Jon with a complete disc release list. There was only one demodulator model sold, the UDA-100, which also demodulates CD-4 and has basic non-logic positions for SQ & QS as well. There were several prototype models made that only demodulate UD-4, having no CD-4 or matrix settings. I have the full schematics and service manual for the UDA-100. I once submitted the schematics to a contact at JVC in Japan who ran the CD-4 department back in the day. The UDA-100 is based on later JVC designs in the demodulation section, having automatic carrier level control. I have all the prototype models, some which play in the matrix only mode, and others that add the carrier directionality, in addition to the commercially sold UDA-100. I find UD-4 to be a fine system. The only albums that I can directly compare musically and separation wise to other formats are Quadraphile, Tubular Bells 4YX-9026, and the Buddy Cole 4RX-9012 which was released by Alshire in the USA on QS and Q8. I have never found the other title that would directly compare, 4RX-9011 The World of Bacharach & Webb / 101 Strings Orchestra. I'm pressed for time now, I'll post or send more information next week.

Just a note about UD4 I have the unit UDA-100 and the following disc's

UD4

1 4GX-9019 ?The Red Dragonfly
2 4KX-9006 Spectacular March
3 4KX-9018 Dynamic Latin
4 4GX-9013 A Hymn Hodie Christmas Est Natus
5 4DX-9023 Purcells Last Pieces
6 4HX-9002 Jewels Of The Madonna
7 4KX-9015 Pop Pop 4 Channel Demo
8 4KX-9025 Switched On East
9 4KX-9007 Pop Pop 4 Dimensions
10 4YX-9026 Tublar Bells
11 4RX-9003 Gone With The Wind
12 4DX-9001 J.S.Bach Paillard Cond.
13 4ZX-9004 Racing Car Explosion
14 4RX-9012 Sounds Of Nostalgia
The matrix decoding is almost the same as
UHJ
I have a UHJ disc (TAG)
That spins the sound all around the room
and testing it against my UHJ decoder it is almost the same
Ron

Ron, might you consider trading 4KX-9018 Dynamic Latin-Tokyo Cuban Boys? I checked my UD-4 collection, and find that I have some you do not. I will list the numbers I do NOT have here, I have all releases other than these. I have spares of many in my collection, how about a swap? Nick

9011 The World of Bacharach & Webb/101 Strings
9014 Best Selections / Tokyo Romantics
9018 Dynamic Latin / Tokyo Cuban Boys
9028 Animation OST Maxinger Z vs. Getter Robot
9029 Koga Melody #2
9030 Helmut Riling / Bach Organ Classics
9031 Santos Domingos Choir

As soon as I get some time, I am going to create a seperate page for UD-4. Here is one of the logo's that Nick sent me:

Attachments

• ud4.jpg
    ud4.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 348
Here is a scan of the label of one of my UD-4 test LP's, albums released prior to the commercial introduction of UD-4. I also have some made before it was called UD-4, when it was QMX. I have sent Jon Urban complete Audio Engineering Society documents on UD-4 (QMX in those papers), and a complete disc listing. Jon will be making a UD-4 page from this material in the future.

This sucketh:

Click on link to the image:

Obbop, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I see it! :D

I will have to check this out. Probably some sort of vB restriction.

You should see the picture, not just a link....

OK Class. Here's what you do...........

Go to your USER CONTROL PANEL

Click on the left on OPTIONS

Scroll down and put a check mark next to

<LABEL for=cb_showimages><INPUT id=cb_showimages type=checkbox CHECKED value=1 name=options[showimages]>Show Images (including attached images and images in code)[/color]</LABEL>
<LABEL for=cb_showimages></LABEL>
<LABEL for=cb_showimages>That should do it. Let me know by responding to this thread</LABEL>
<LABEL for=cb_showimages>:-jon</LABEL>

JonUrban said:
OK Class. Here's what you do...........

For me it was already set, as an example the guy that posted the fake Borboletta Q8 attached a image and i can see it without problem.

This is a strange problem. Does ANYBODY see the images except me????

OK. Everyone should be able to see it now. If you cannot, respond here. Heck, if you CAN, respond here. :D

oblio98 said:
OK. Everyone should be able to see it now. If you cannot, respond here. Heck, if you CAN, respond here. :D
Works. Thanks!

Back