UHJ

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve a SM SQ, will it give better results on UHJ in SM mode than my old NRDC Integrex?

The only UHJ material I've played on my SMv2 is Alan Parsons Stereotomy. It sounds much bigger & with better separation than on the Integrex unit. However I am not able to do a good A/B comparison as the Integrex unit is in my Closet of Quad. It might be a case that it sounds better on the Surround Master, but more accurate on the Integrex, know what I mean?

I have maybe 20+ LP's of UHJ classical and otherwise discs made with the Soundfield mic that I haven not listened to through the SM.

Thanks for this, I recorded the broadcasts in the day but the tapes I had were poor quality, I’ve found one Martix H on YouTube but would love to hear the Alan Freeman stuff again in Quad

I’ve a SM SQ, will it give better results on UHJ in SM mode than my old NRDC Integrex?

Almost certainly, yes. My SM works well with Matrix H. I built one of those Integrex decoders to listen to Matrix H broadcasts and to decode SQ LPs. I've just found an old photo (c1978) of a pile of equipment in my bedroom awaiting a proper cabinet (!) the Integrex is on top of the graphic equaliser-
NRDC.jpg

Frankly it was a huge disappointment, given the hype, and actually performed very poorly on those formats (especially given the cost (even in kit form it was pricey!). It might have been better decoding UHJ, I never had any such material, but I'd be amazed if it were!!

Almost certainly, yes. My SM works well with Matrix H. I built one of those Integrex decoders to listen to Matrix H broadcasts and to decode SQ LPs. I've just found an old photo (c1978) of a pile of equipment in my bedroom awaiting a proper cabinet (!) the Integrex is on top of the graphic equaliser-
View attachment 74671
Frankly it was a huge disappointment, given the hype, and actually performed very poorly on those formats (especially given the cost (even in kit form it was pricey!). It might have been better decoding UHJ, I never had any such material, but I'd be amazed if it were!!
I think I had very similar wallpaper though more orange! Sadly I didn't have as much hi-fi kit

Thanks for the help. The NRDC works well, but the SM SQ is definitely better on SQ, I’ll try it on H and UHJ

I built one of those Integrex decoders to listen to Matrix H broadcasts
Nothing decoded Matrix H well back in the day, the hack to Sansui variomatrix decoders was just a hack. I think judging the Integrex based on its Matrix H performance is a mistake, it tells you nothing.

Thanks for the help. The NRDC works well, but the SM SQ is definitely better on SQ, I’ll try it on H and UHJ

Nimbus has been the main producer of 2 channel UHJ ambisonic recordings but seem to have stopped in around 1995, sadly. It’s a huge pity Nimbus never moved beyond classical and ‘world’ music, which has furthered the impression, incorrectly, that’s all ambi is good for.

I have a handful of later CDs that are mainly more musically experimental rather than popular, rock etc. Although I’m not a huge fan of jazz, I like the Chesky UHJ recording of Bucky Pizzarelli - Swing Live - as it gives a really immersive sense in the live club setting and the reverb field does not swamp things. Quite recently, Suzanne Chiani has released some binaural ambisonic recordings for which a UHJ processor is not used, just played directly through headphones.

Something just to keep in the back of the mind is that full ambisonics is spherical, linear, and that 2 channel UHJ is a 2D (horizontal only) compromise for stereo compatibility. Hence 2 ch UHJ’s non universal acceptance, as it can sound phasey or ‘in the head’ even when well processed. Had 3 channel UHJ (full horizontal) ever appeared, it would have been entirely free of those distractingly phasey properties. There are a few ambi 3 channel B-Format recordings around that much better demonstrate what is achievable; 3 ch UHJ is directly equivalent.

The currently made, very accurate, ambisonic DSPs (2 ch UHJ and 3 ch B-Format) are made for home use by Meridian but cost an arm and a leg. M’s older units (the 565, 568.2, G61 series and G68) can be found for relatively affordable prices, although the G ones are still pretty costly. These all have ambi superstereo settings as well.

Nothing decoded Matrix H well back in the day, the hack to Sansui variomatrix decoders was just a hack. I think judging the Integrex based on its Matrix H performance is a mistake, it tells you nothing.
I think I'm in quite a good place to judge. I built the thing. I've got the circuit diagrams. I know how it works. I used it. It was a very rudimentary non-logic decoder. It was was a very poor decoder in every mode I tried it in. You've obviously had more luck with it than me - which decoding formats do you find it works well with?

I think I'm in quite a good place to judge. I built the thing. I've got the circuit diagrams. I know how it works. I used it. It was a very rudimentary non-logic decoder. It was was a very poor decoder in every mode I tried it in. You've obviously had more luck with it than me - which decoding formats do you find it works well with?
I don't have one, I'm just saying Matrix H is such a pig to decode that I don't think anything should be judged based on what it did with Matrix H.

UHJ by contrast is a very simple matrix. Instead of two derived channels it only has one to extract.

I don't have one, I'm just saying Matrix H is such a pig to decode that I don't think anything should be judged based on what it did with Matrix H.

UHJ by contrast is a very simple matrix. Instead of two derived channels it only has one to extract.

You have remarkable faith in a product you've never tried!

At risk of me being accused of pedantry, 2 ch UHJ is 3 matrixed channels, the B-format WXY ones from which the 4 (or more) loudspeaker feeds are derived. But your general point is correct in that it’s 3 rather than 4 channels, for typical quad, in total being derived.

Back