(UHQCD format x MQA technology). Disc's-DAC's-Streamers and Tidal

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As one responder surmised, whern HDCD hit the market no one batted an eyelash
Because a) we knew what it did they didn't try to hide things from us, b) there wasn't anything better than HDCD that was widely available. Neither of those is true for MQA. Even worse MQA tells us we can't test it in the usual way, we wouldn't understand, but then they don't explain how we should test MQA and why their theories are valid. It's all "trust us". That's not the scientific method. Results should be explainable, reproducible by other teams working independently, and testable. Everyone got excited by Cold Fusion, until other teams were unable to reproduce it. MQA could be an audio version of Cold Fusion, but we're not allowed to find out. That's the hallmark of snake oil. I agree with Neil Young that MQA is a box designed to collect royalties.

I used the Windows 10 Media Player to make a personal use CD copy of my Joe Walsh MQA CD (I don't have an MQA decoder), anyone with an MQA decoding system know if the MQA info is copied too?

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Because a) we knew what it did they didn't try to hide things from us, b) there wasn't anything better than HDCD that was widely available. Neither of those is true for MQA. Even worse MQA tells us we can't test it in the usual way, we wouldn't understand, but then they don't explain how we should test MQA and why their theories are valid. It's all "trust us". That's not the scientific method. Results should be explainable, reproducible by other teams working independently, and testable. Everyone got excited by Cold Fusion, until other teams were unable to reproduce it. MQA could be an audio version of Cold Fusion, but we're not allowed to find out. That's the hallmark of snake oil. I agree with Neil Young that MQA is a box designed to collect royalties.
Well said, Sir.

I used the Windows 10 Media Player to make a personal use CD copy of my Joe Walsh MQA CD (I don't have an MQA decoder), anyone with an MQA decoding system know of the MQA info is copied too?

Kirk Bayne
Hi Kirk,
I also use Windows Media Player to rip all my CD's including my MQA CD's, it is set to FLAC.
I can confirm that the answer is YES, the ripped MQA CD Digital File, plays as MQA when you play the same file through a MQA enabled player, In my case the Lexington D-O3X. When I put the hard disc in the player the Blue MQA light comes on and shows the sample rate.
When I run the ripped digital file from my server (NAS) to the enabled Lexington downloadable driver, the digital file has the Blue MQA light on and the sample rate, both equal.

https://www.twice.com/the-wire/mqa-available-in-latest-lg-soundbars^^^
At CES 2023, LG product unveilings included two new soundbars, both of which support MQA.
...the soundbar market at $7bn in 2022, accounting for 30% of home audio sales.

I haven't seen much about MQA recently, maybe getting MQA tech in soundbars is the next marketing approach.

I don't subscribe to any audio streaming services (there are 10 FM radio stations here in KC with music I like), I sometimes stream BBC (music) Radio 1.

Kirk Bayne

Back