UK - Curtain Call 10th Anniversary DVD/Blu-Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now the real question, I saw someone mention earlier that the label wants to put out Atmos versions of the two studio albums. I beseech the music gods, PLEASE YES! They are the two records I most want to hear immersively. BUT we need Steven Wilson desperately for that. Anyone up for a Go Fund Me to finance a commando raid to grab the masters and SW and put them together until we have the epic records we deserve. I have some experience with the raiding so I'm kinda pretend volunteering.
I have been trying to see if the multitracks for the first album were available as far back as 2007, but have not any more luck since - I was always keen on the possibility of doing a new mix especially in surround. If there are still no multitracks to be found I hope they don't just put the stereo mix through an up-mix plugin to Atmos - that would not be appropriate.

These days I am involved with de-mix technology to do forensic work on available limited recordings, so if anyone was going to try to create 5.1/Atmos remix versions from the original stereo I would be the best person - especially as I totally understand the processes and treatments involved on the first album!!

Ok Stephen then lets start with the progfusion genres, please, the most suitable genre for Atmos, Brian Auger, Coryell & Mouson back together again, Trace Birds, Brand-X, PFM, Jan Akkerman, Caravan, Camel, Romantic Warrior, Gong Espresso Uk The first Album, Alan Holdsworth velvet Darkness, Gino Vanelli. For Starters...:D Steve Wilson weirdly is obsessed with staccato, dissonant, borderline punk schrieking, schizophrenic, bands like Gentle Giant and King Crimson or the unmusical Ultravox, and Jethro gets tiring, he has little consideration for music for musicians good prog (with the exception of Yes and Caravan 7 years ago and then where is the Atmos?) you have shown some sensibility in this direction, help us Obiwan Kenobi you are our only hope. Fraunhofer has the tech for this.

Crossing Fingers!!

Ps. For the record I find his mixing skills unimpeasheable, and I enjoy his music as Alternative, buty his picks on what to invest his time is completely UNPROGFUSIVE.

Last edited:
I have been trying to see if the multitracks for the first album were available as far back as 2007, but have not any more luck since - I was always keen on the possibility of doing a new mix especially in surround. If there are still no multitracks to be found I hope they don't just put the stereo mix through an up-mix plugin to Atmos - that would not be appropriate.

These days I am involved with de-mix technology to do forensic work on available limited recordings, so if anyone was going to try to create 5.1/Atmos remix versions from the original stereo I would be the best person - especially as I totally understand the processes and treatments involved on the first album!!
Well good luck to you, and as I hinted at I am available if any record execs need "persuasion". Heh. It did seem weird that when Eddie J did all the work for the UK box set that there was no surround action.

Well good luck to you, and as I hinted at I am available if any record execs need "persuasion". Heh. It did seem weird that when Eddie J did all the work for the UK box set that there was no surround action.
Not quite all of it; the Night After Night extended version Blu Ray has a decent surround mix - thanks to Bob Clearmountain.

Ok Stephen then lets start with the progfusion genres, please, the most suitable genre for Atmos, Brian Auger, Coryell & Mouson back together again, Trace Birds, Brand-X, PFM, Jan Akkerman, Caravan, Camel, Romantic Warrior, Gong Espresso Uk The first Album, Alan Holdsworth velvet Darkness, Gino Vanelli. For Starters...:D Steve Wilson weirdly is obsessed with staccato, dissonant, borderline punk structured, schytsophrenic, bands like Gentle Giant and King Crimson or the same unmusical Ultravox, and tiring Jethro , he has no clue of what good prog is (with the exception of Caravan and where is the Atmos?) you have shown some sensibility in this direction, help us Obiwan Kenobi you are our only hope. Fraunhofer has the tech for this.

Crossing Fingers!!
You certainly don’t speak for me regarding Steven Wilson’s prog remix choices, but carry on.

You certainly don’t speak for me regarding Steven Wilson’s prog remix choices, but carry on.
Yeah but Brain Auger beats Gentle Giant, Ultravox, and 85% of King Crimson (barber shop song road to red and I talk to the wind are the only good ones, the drum solo wraparound on gentle Giant) 4 song out of $1,800 worth of SDE's sucks. Brian Auger please!

Unless something’s changed, Eddie did not have the multitracks for either UK album so they were presented as 24/96 (48?) stereo in the UK box set.

I just watched the first half of Curtain Call and stopped it and gave my quick assessment to family members supporting me on birthday media to consume. (Whether they were prepared to hear it or not)

Short version (TL: DR)
The surround mix was claustrophobic, stifled and off-sounding. Nothing was missing from the band output on that stage but it was all just so poorly represented here.

Possibly the most aggregious thing for me was the vocal neutering. A couple tunes in, I asked myself why they keep using that effect on John’s voice. The sad realization - this is how he’s going to sound all the way through this show.

As some of you know, John Wetton is a personal hero for me (since 1974) as both a great bassist AND singer. The audio mixing here has stripped out the bulk of his rich sonorous tones and replaced it with 8 bit caricatures.

The video is great, thankfully. It only seems like a surround mix less than 5% of the time so far. Sadly, the audio presented here is a missed opportunity.

Odd to think I’ve met all of these fine musicians (people), albeit at different times.
I just can’t understand why musicians of this calibre would let something that sounds this bad be released, without a word of warning. I’m not talking about personal preferences around compression or surround mix detail - I mean it just sounds terrible. A few paras in the write up to say - we had an issue with the audio, but the video looked great so we’ve done the best we can - would at least warn the buyer. And then to make matters worse, they include the same poor audio in a stand alone Audio Blu ray. Bizarre

And a NORMAL FERRIC CASSETTE at that!
...with the playback machine head azimuth out of alignment...

I've got an assortment of old Normal Ferric Oxide cassette tapes that sound pretty good especially those recorded on a deck with adjustable bias for optimum high frequencies, level and EQ for proper Dolby NR tracking.

Just listening to a 53 year old near perfect live recording by which I compare all others to, Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsys. Just think if Curtain Call had been recorded like that.

They were very good. Mine is returned and they will refund
That is promising news. I have just sent Burning Shed a request to return this for a full refund. Like many folks here, I am shocked and completely disappointed with the sound of these disks. So unfortunate, given the quite good video quality, and the great performances.

Stupid me. I sold my Japanese 2cd Blu ray version ahead of receiving this one ( remastered version they said :) so heck you expect a better version..) So I cant compare anymore 1 on 1. I only really watched the Blu ray then. It wasn't more than a 7 sound wise.
I'd still love to hear any first-hand reports of how the new version compares to the earlier Japanese one. I had purchased that Japanese version just before the re-release was announced (prompting some buyer's remorse), but I'm wondering if it'll turn out to be the right move in the end.

That is promising news. I have just sent Burning Shed a request to return this for a full refund. Like many folks here, I am shocked and completely disappointed with the sound of these disks. So unfortunate, given the quite good video quality, and the great performances.
I returned mine as well and they promised to refund!

I'd still love to hear any first-hand reports of how the new version compares to the earlier Japanese one. I had purchased that Japanese version just before the re-release was announced (prompting some buyer's remorse), but I'm wondering if it'll turn out to be the right move in the end.
Well, compare it just to any other normal sounding disc be it CD, SACD, vinyl, etc. of any other genre. If it sounds ok then thumbs up! I can not imagine it would sound worse than the re-rellease. Or just check sound impressions from other buyers. In my opinion if this one sounds bad to you it won't make sense ordering the re-release. Just my 5 cents.

My hope is that if the sound quality is as bad as the participants here state, perhaps there was some defect in the production process or in quality control? - and that the label that released it might make a correction with replacement discs - if that's even a thing that could happen? I'm no expert on how issues like this get rectified (if in fact they do.) Guess this all needs to happen one step at a time. - kl

OK. If you are a big UK fan get the 10 year old jap blu ray + 2 CD version. It's selling around the 90 dollars on Ebay. The sound is a "7.5" compared to a " 2" for this new "remastered" issue. I checked this by listening to Eddie Jobsons Blu Ray Four Decades ( Jap blu ray + 2CD see photo) which was recorded the night after Curtain Call and also has 5 UK tracks on it with off course the same set up and line up. The drums miss some clarity and dimension but it is still very enjoyable.

Attachments

• IMG-0492.jpg
    IMG-0492.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
I also have just received a £10 credit from Burningshed.

They also confirmed that they have had a fair number of other dissatisfied customers.

Whether anything gets done, who knows 🤷‍♂️

I did say I hope they contact Eddie to make him aware of this dreadful audio mix.

Their reply:

"I will now add this to your account Mike. We have passed on this information to Eddie but sadly we’re not sure there will be a remake."

Last edited:
Back