Steven Wilson Ultravox "Quartet" (Steven Wilson 5.1 mix out in May!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
It's happening!!!
https://www.amazon.com/Quartet-Deluxe-Ultravox/dp/B0BXB97V94/
Quartet was Ultravox's third album with Midge Ure on vocals, which followed two hugely successful albums, 'Vienna' and Rage In Eden'. The previous albums were produced by German producer, Conny Plank, for this they look at George Martin to take the helm. Featuring four UK Top 40 singles, Reap The Wild Wind, We Came To Dance, Visions Inn Blue and the silver awarded Hymn. This new 7 Disc box set contains 70 tracks in total, with 47 previously unreleased recordings. CD's 1-6 contain the original 1982 album production master, a new stereo mixes by Steven Wilson, A-sides, B-sides & live tracks, previously unreleased Cassette Rehearsals and Monitor Mixes along with a newly mixed concert recorded at Hammersmith Odeon in December 1982. The DVD [Audio Only] contains a new 5.1 Surround Sound Mix of the Album/B-sides by Steven Wilson along with 24/96 Hi-Res audio of the new mixes and the original 1982 Master/B-sides. The set is packaged in a 12"x12" Rigid Slipcase and contains a 20 page 12" square booklet featuring contributions from the band, unseen photos from Midge Ure's and Chris Cross' personal collection, reproduction of the Quartet tour programme, 7 discs in card wallets housed in two 12" gatefold album sleeves.

81EXp2cLtbL._SL1500_.jpg

Woohoo! I tested the 5.1 mix a few months ago and it’s a stunner, maybe the best of the series so far and a huge improvement over the flat-sounding original stereo version. It’s so well-done that it actually raised my opinion of the album: "Mine for Life" and “Cut and Run” are among my favorite Ultravox tunes these days.

I wonder if not making us wait till the fall for this release means that Lament might be released closer to it's 40th anniversary which would be April 2024. I hope so as that release could be absolutely killer in surround if they give us the alternate extended remix's as bonus 5.1 tracks.

This is great news for Quartet coming out as it is a wonderful album.
I have 3 different version's of this album(Lp,cd and a cd boxset including) but all 3 of those just included the original 9 song's. To be able to get the following 4 bonus songs in surround is AWESOME as will be new for me and maybe some other's as well.

Hosanna(In Exceisis Deo),Monument,Break Your Back,Overlook

Last edited:
Why not in Atmos? I wonder. Or is it an old mix?
All of the Ultravox deluxe editions (including this one) have been DVD only, and obviously DVD doesn't support Atmos.
They probably chose DVD (and not Blu-Ray) due to cheaper authoring costs, a similar move made by those who have put together the Jethro Tull remix series.

I feel like I should be buying these but I just can’t justify box set price for albums I’ve never heard.

Vienna is already getting harder to find. Any recommendations on where to start with this band? I’m a proggie at heart.

Vienna is already getting harder to find. Any recommendations on where to start with this band? I’m a proggie at heart.
I knew absolutely nothing about them when the Vienna set was announced and took a chance on it only because of Steven Wilson's involvement. It ended up being my favorite reissue of that year (edging out TFF's The Seeds Of Love) and now one of my top surround releases ever, the 5.1 mix is really special. To me the music is more 'new wave' than prog, but there's a good mix of instantly-catchy songs ("New Europeans", "Passing Strangers") with more out-there experimental stuff (the opener "Astradyne" is a seven-minute instrumental). I think The Cars and Simple Minds could be considered fair comparison points?

That box set is also one of the few I can honestly say I enjoyed beyond the surround disc, all the audio across the various CDs is well-mastered. The 1980 live recording actually sounds fantastic and upmixes really well. It's well worth the $50-60 if you end up liking the music.

So glad SW crafted the 5.1

I was paranoid that they would keep it in the “family” and have Giles do it.

Not meaning to be offensive but I find his work is hot and cold (and mostly cold)

Lament is by far my favorite Ultravox album. I distinctly remember listening to it when it came out in '84 and my dad overheard it, asking me to play it again for him (talk about shock).

It would make for a fantastic surround experience. Listen to White China and imagine that with an active 5.1.

Lament is by far my favorite Ultravox album. I distinctly remember listening to it when it came out in '84 and my dad overheard it, asking me to play it again for him (talk about shock).

It would make for a fantastic surround experience. Listen to White China and imagine that with an active 5.1.
My favorite album by Ultravox as well.
MY copy of Lament had extended mix's for 3 songs on it. White China(8:23),One Small Day(8:31) and title song Lament(8:01). I sure hope they do these extended mix's as well in surround.

This is White China extended

One Small Day extended

To me One Small Day extended could be absolutely AMAZING in surround. Even if you don't want to listen to the whole mix just check out the first minute with what is done with vocals and what is done with then drum sounds going back and forth in stereo but in surround this thing could be swirling all the way around you.

Back