Ultravox - Rage In Eden (Steven Wilson remix out in September!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started off listening to the DTS and my ears where not liking the too high treble brightness and the recessed center vocal.
I upped the center Chanel a couple db’s and switched to the AC3 version, I liked it better, does that make me a bad person?
First time in my life I preferred the AC3.

I have just ripped the DVD, and it's great to know that both the original and the remix are present in 24/96 with full dynamics! The stereo remix on CD sounds great but unnecessary limiting was applied.
What software did you use to rip the DVD? I’ve used MakeMKV for all my DVDs and Blu Rays, but it fails on Rage in Eden. I also copied the Video_TS folder to my drive with AnyDVD and ran MakeMKV on the folder and it failed that way too.

What software did you use to rip the DVD? I’ve used MakeMKV for all my DVDs and Blu Rays, but it fails on Rage in Eden. I also copied the Video_TS folder to my drive with AnyDVD and ran MakeMKV on the folder and it failed that way too.
Did you try both the backup feature and extract to mkv, and neither worked?

The backup feature in MakeMKV is greyed out. From what I read it only works on blu rays not dvds. Anydvd indicated that there was no copy protection on the disc, so I had no issue making a copy of the video_ts folder on my hard drive.

There are four audio streams on the dvd: dts 5.1, dolby 5.1, Steven Wilson mix 2.0, and original mix 2.0.

MakeMKV results in three files that look fine. The videos on the three files show one for dts 5.1 and the two 2.0 mixes. There is nothing for the dolby 5.1 mix, and none of the files play either in vlcplayer or my oppos. They start, briefly play the attached video, then stop without playing any audio.

I haven’t tried DVD audio extractor, but do need to get that to copy my DVD-A and Dualdiscs to my server. Can it make mkv files?

I’ve found I like playing the mkv format, as it retains the screen and feel of playing the actual disc. I’ve used audio muxer to convert mkv to flac, but just prefer to play the mkv.

Has anyone been able to successfully make mkv files from the Rage in Eden DVD? Thanks!

The backup feature in MakeMKV is greyed out. From what I read it only works on blu rays not dvds. Anydvd indicated that there was no copy protection on the disc, so I had no issue making a copy of the video_ts folder on my hard drive.

There are four audio streams on the dvd: dts 5.1, dolby 5.1, Steven Wilson mix 2.0, and original mix 2.0.

MakeMKV results in three files that look fine. The videos on the three files show one for dts 5.1 and the two 2.0 mixes. There is nothing for the dolby 5.1 mix, and none of the files play either in vlcplayer or my oppos. They start, briefly play the attached video, then stop without playing any audio.

I haven’t tried DVD audio extractor, but do need to get that to copy my DVD-A and Dualdiscs to my server. Can it make mkv files?

I’ve found I like playing the mkv format, as it retains the screen and feel of playing the actual disc. I’ve used audio muxer to convert mkv to flac, but just prefer to play the mkv.

Has anyone been able to successfully make mkv files from the Rage in Eden DVD? Thanks!
I was told that they recently added DVD backup support on the latest version. Is that the version you are using, and did you try the backup feature BEFORE scanning the disc?

I had a different issue: The files played, but the chapter marks were a disaster. I wound up using DVD Decrypter.

I have a partial fix. I updated to the latest version of MakeMKV and tried again. This time it saw all four audio streams. It took a long while during “analyzing seamless segments”, then made the mkvs.

It made two files with prefix A1 (both of the menus), then files with prefixes B1, B3, B5 and B7, each containing one of the four audio streams. Never saw that nomenclature before.

They don’t play in vlcplayer, but do play in an oppo, though weirdly. Like atrocity said, there are no chapter marks. Also no time displays at all, and the video is stuck at what appears to be the last track for each audio stream.

There’s no way to fast forward or skip tracks, but at least it does play through the oppo. Better than nothing, but it does seem like MakeMKV could use an update. Is there any other software that makes mkv files from a disk? Can DVD Decrypter make mkv files? Thanks.

Also, the “backup” option is still greyed out in the latest version.

I have a partial fix. I updated to the latest version of MakeMKV and tried again. This time it saw all four audio streams. It took a long while during “analyzing seamless segments”, then made the mkvs.

It made two files with prefix A1 (both of the menus), then files with prefixes B1, B3, B5 and B7, each containing one of the four audio streams. Never saw that nomenclature before.
This was my experience as well, both under Windows and Linux. MakeMKV appears to have changed their output file naming convention. I assume there's logic to it, but I haven't really studied it.
They don’t play in vlcplayer, but do play in an oppo, though weirdly. Like atrocity said, there are no chapter marks. Also no time displays at all, and the video is stuck at what appears to be the last track for each audio stream.
There appears to be an odd way of authoring these music discs that confuses MakeMKV. I've seen it with others as well, going all the way back to the early King Crimsons. The problem discs have never caused trouble for me in a player or when using DVD Decrypter, but MakeMKV doesn't have a clue. I posted to the MakeMKV forum about it, but never got an answer. Or maybe I have by now, but gave up checking years ago.
There’s no way to fast forward or skip tracks, but at least it does play through the oppo. Better than nothing, but it does seem like MakeMKV could use an update. Is there any other software that makes mkv files from a disk? Can DVD Decrypter make mkv files? Thanks.
Unfortunately, DVD Decrypter doesn't do MKV. In my case, I'm trying to get FLACs that contain the DTS information, so I feed the files DVD Decrypter creates to the appropriate function in AudioMuxer. Come to think of it, if the discs really aren't copy protected, maybe I could have just gone straight into AudioMuxer, but I didn't try. Though that wouldn't create an MKV, either.

Maybe MMH can combine the files AudioMuxer creates into an MKV if that's what you really need? I haven't really explored MMH much because I'm used to doing things myself the hard way. :)

Also, the “backup” option is still greyed out in the latest version.
No it isn't. As I said before, they added the DVD backup feature, a couple months ago starting with 1.17.1. Also, as I said, you only get the option before you scan the disc, otherwise it is greyed out. I don't know if it will help your issue, but I just wanted to set the record straight. For so long, only Blu-rays could be backed up, and now both Blu-rays AND DVD's have the feature.

No it isn't. As I said before, they added the DVD backup feature, a couple months ago starting with 1.17.1. Also, as I said, you only get the option before you scan the disc, otherwise it is greyed out. I don't know if it will help your issue, but I just wanted to set the record straight. For so long, only Blu-rays could be backed up, and now both Blu-rays AND DVD's have the feature.
Concur. I just tried it and it greys out after scanning, but is available before scanning. A strange design, but it’s good to have an option for backing up DVDs too.

Concur. I just tried it and it greys out after scanning, but is available before scanning. A strange design, but it’s good to have an option for backing up DVDs too.
Counterintuitive for sure.

Release day today in the US and Amazon still doesn’t have it. Plus, still no sign of a delivery date. 🤬

They moved my Echo & The Bunnymen vinyl of Evergreen release date from December 9 to January 18. 🤬🤬

Back