DVD/DTS Poll Ultravox - VIENNA [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Ultravox - VIENNA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I voted 10. The best surround release of 2020? Of course I have not heard all of them but my personal best of 2020? I think? I love everything about this release from packaging, liner notes, lyrics, photos, on screen menu and box.
I listened to the 5.1 disc from my Sony UBP-X800M2. I listened to the DTS 24/96 selection.
I loved hearing the first track as an instrumental, it really got me in the groove of sitting in and listening to the music without worrying about words.
The Steven Wilson mix was sublime, I think of others he has done and this is certainly one of his crowning achievements.
The surround pans around very fun and entertaining, the center speaker used in perfect SW style.
Obviously what is the #1 reason for loving this release is that it is great music from Ultravox, whom I never listened to back in the day. Really a breath of fresh air in the 2020 surround release catalog.
It would be cool to go back to 1980 and be a member of the live audience, I'm sure lots of styles and hair.
FYI: I got dumped by Amazon and Burning Shed came right in and fulfilled my order within 9 days, impressive.

I voted 10. The best surround release of 2020? Of course I have not heard all of them but my personal best of 2020? I think? I love everything about this release from packaging, liner notes, lyrics, photos, on screen menu and box.
I listened to the 5.1 disc from my Sony UBP-X800M2. I listened to the DTS 24/96 selection.
I loved hearing the first track as an instrumental, it really got me in the groove of sitting in and listening to the music without worrying about words.
The Steven Wilson mix was sublime, I think of others he has done and this is certainly one of his crowning achievements.
The surround pans around very fun and entertaining, the center speaker used in perfect SW style.
Obviously what is the #1 reason for loving this release is that it is great music from Ultravox, whom I never listened to back in the day. Really a breath of fresh air in the 2020 surround release catalog.
It would be cool to go back to 1980 and be a member of the live audience, I'm sure lots of styles and hair.
FYI: I got dumped by Amazon and Burning Shed came right in and fulfilled my order within 9 days, impressive.
I’m just bummed the powers that be made this in such limited quantities that it was literally OOP the month it was released depriving me and plenty of other surround enthusiasts. Major bummer!

A5061709-0A11-4CB3-B577-4AA86C6CB30F.jpeg

So happy to receive both of these recent Wilson remix deluxe releases from jpc in Germany. Not only did they professionally package it, they’re price beat my cancelled ImportCD order, even with the unfavorable exchange rate. Yes!!!

A definite 10!!!

So mine just arrived today.....have a question. On the back of the box, it lists 3 surround options: 24/96 5.1 Surround, DTS 24/96 5.1 Surround, and Dolby AC3 5.1 surround. Was there (is there?) supposed to be an MLP 5.1 mix on the DVD? My DVD only has the DTS and AC3 mixes.

So mine just arrived today.....have a question. On the back of the box, it lists 3 surround options: 24/96 5.1 Surround, DTS 24/96 5.1 Surround, and Dolby AC3 5.1 surround. Was there (is there?) supposed to be an MLP 5.1 mix on the DVD? My DVD only has the DTS and AC3 mixes.

There was some discussion about this back when the box was first released. My guess is that it was an oversight by whoever typed up that information for the back cover, but who knows? Maybe there were plans to issue this as a genuine DVD-A that were later scrapped, for one reason or another. As far as I'm aware, Opus Productions in the U.K. is the only authoring house that still does DVD-A.

There was some discussion about this back when the box was first released. My guess is that it was an oversight by whoever typed up that information for the back cover, but who knows? Maybe there were plans to issue this as a genuine DVD-A that were later scrapped, for one reason or another. As far as I'm aware, Opus Productions in the U.K. is the only authoring house that still does DVD-A.

Thank you kindly for the info! I spun this disc twice today and still can't get over how good the mix is.

I FINALLY found this in stock at B&N ... just arrived today. I'd been hunting for this for months. I've always enjoyed Ultravox from their early days, so I was really stoked to finally find this! Packaging is very nice, possibly a bit over the top but I like it. A lot of very interesting notes on the album (including comments from band members) plus some great pics of a band that I've always felt was never truly appreciated in the U.S.

Have only had time to listen to the DVD 5.1 Surround Mix ... but OMG! It's the kind of mix that would make you play it to show what surround sound is all about to someone hearing the format for the first time. SW knocked this mix out of the park ... as someone else here noted possibly his best 5.1 mix ever.

Needless to say I rated this gem a 10.

listening to the DTS mix now. I’m not to familiar with the band but got a smoking deal on the set from Amazon.

Per usual SW has a cool, active surround mix going on. Music is good, total 80’s reminds me of being a kid.

The recording quality is subpar and I’m disappointed in the lack of a lossless option. Voting a 8

OMG... What a crazy active mix. One of Wilson's best I think.

I listened to this after Rush - Moving Pictures in Atmos TrueHD (7.1.4). The Moving Pictures mix is solid, but it just proved to me why Steven Wilson is one of the masters of surround mixing. This is so much fun. It fits the music perfectly. I'll take a good 5.1 mix over an average Atmos mix any day.

The fidelity didn't seem to suffer much with the lossy DTS codec.

An easy 10.

Back