Ultravox "Vienna" (Steven Wilson 5.1 remix in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we've been debating this for some time now, it feels like Universal are not going to change tack with their box set business model anytime soon, unfortunately.

to be fair Universal tried the HFPA Blu-ray approach for a short while and whatever you think of that effort they did release some standalone surround titles that were in boxsets, sadly they are no longer releasing standalone surround music product in this way.

so we either go with the flow of the box set fiasco to get our surround fix or suffer buyer's remorse down the line when this stuff goes out of print and with no further print run copies start changing hands for stupid money.

i present "Exhibit A": Mike Oldfield's "Crises" Super Deluxe.

RRP £40 in 2016.

If you want it now, its £140 for a used one, or £300 for a sealed copy.

we've been debating this for some time now, it feels like Universal are not going to change tack with their box set business model anytime soon, unfortunately.

to be fair Universal tried the HFPA Blu-ray approach for a short while and whatever you think of that effort they did release some standalone surround titles that were in boxsets, sadly they are no longer releasing standalone surround music product in this way.

so we either go with the flow of the box set fiasco to get our surround fix or suffer buyer's remorse down the line when this stuff goes out of print and with no further print run copies start changing hands for stupid money.

i present "Exhibit A": Mike Oldfield's "Crises" Super Deluxe.

RRP £40 in 2016.

If you want it now, its £140 for a used one, or £300 for a sealed copy.

Ouch, this reminds me of one of my most expensive purchases. I bought "Crises" for 135 Euros in 2017, condition like new. All CDs and the DVD were still sealed - go figure! But the money was well spent, no remorse!

I thought Vienna was a bona fide hit single in Europe back in the day.
Love the album and love the new 5.1 mix.

Famously kept of the Number 1 spot in the UK singles chart by seminal 1980s singer-song writer Joe Dolce's paean to his Italian (ahem) heritage "Shaddapa Your Face".

Well I'm retired and have a good pension,but I've decided that I will not buy pricey box sets with only DVD's for 5.1 any more.
While I could easily afford it, I will generally not even buy pricey box sets just for the Blu-ray, unless their is sufficient material that I would actually be willing to pay for standalone. No interest in redundant content. Fortunately for me, I have accepted peace in the fact that I don't have to own everything that I want. If I can't get what I want at a reasonable price, I just don't get it or wait until it does. As is, there are more than a fair amount of releases that are available at reasonable prices, which I don't even have time to go through many times.

Got mine from Bull Moose this afternoon. Packed really well in bubble wrap and am overall really impressed with them. Will definitely be near, if not at the top of my vendor list going forward. Have to wait until my wife is done for the day to give it a run.

First impressions are that this is the mix of the year so far! A really well mixed album with stuff flying around the room in nearly every song. New Europeans and All Stood Still are just fantastic and had me grinning from ear to ear. Someone in this thread said the Seeds of Love album was mixed better and if thats the case I will be exceptionally happy.

I'll hopefully get a detailed review up soon, but I wouldn't pass up on this if you don't hate the material. This one will get lots of plays on my system.

Hi I'm from Australia, my copy of the Vienna Boxed Set arrived last week.
Overall I'm quite happy with it but I think it's a bit overpriced.

The surround Dvd is quite good but at times it's not "surround" enough with most music coming from the front speakers.

I'm disappointed of course that the surround disc is a dvd rather than a bluray.
Perhaps the licensing costs are much cheaper with a Dvd

It's definitely worth getting and I get the impression that it may be in short supply as its availability seems to be limited unless you preordered it.

As one previous poster mentioned I hope it's not another surround release debacle like Mike Oldfield Crises

Hi I'm from Australia, my copy of the Vienna Boxed Set arrived last week.
Overall I'm quite happy with it but I think it's a bit overpriced.

The surround Dvd is quite good but at times it's not "surround" enough with most music coming from the front speakers.

I'm disappointed of course that the surround disc is a dvd rather than a bluray.
Perhaps the licensing costs are much cheaper with a Dvd

It's definitely worth getting and I get the impression that it may be in short supply as its availability seems to be limited unless you preordered it.

As one previous poster mentioned I hope it's not another surround release debacle like Mike Oldfield Crises
Mine arrived Friday (in Tasmania) and I have played it a couple of times. Initial impressions are good but I will need to play it a few more times before rating it (I was only familiar with Vienna and Passing Strangers). I agree a blu ray would be better and it is expensive if you live in Australia, but so far I am glad I pre-ordered it from the UK and did not wait to see when/if it would be for sale in Australia.

I think it's being released via Warner Brothers here, the cost works out about the same as from UK
Yes I'm glad I got it from UK too (thanks Burning Shed)

Back