Ultravox "Vienna" (Steven Wilson 5.1 remix in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just noticed the track listing doesn't mention any music videos on the DVD. Could this be right? The video of the title track is such an iconic piece of the early 80's. Would seem a major oversight to exclude it and the videos for the other singles from the album.

And I was amused to just discover that "Vienna" stalled at #2 on the UK charts. It was kept out of the #1 spot by this:

Weird how some bands elude you even though you like the style and genre. This and Visage fall into that category. I actually started listening to this type of music at least a year before I got into bands like Zeppelin and Floyd. Somehow this particular band never clicked although my friends were really into them. I don't even think I ever watched that entire Vienna video until today. Can't wait to here this new 5.1 SW mix! Got it cued up on Tidal along with Visage in the meantime.

Does it seem weird that there doesn't seem be any marketing on this release? The ban's website & social media pages have almost no activity since the Sleepwalk single was announced for record store day.

You would think they would like too gauge sales before committing to a print run.

I just noticed the track listing doesn't mention any music videos on the DVD. Could this be right? The video of the title track is such an iconic piece of the early 80's. Would seem a major oversight to exclude it and the videos for the other singles from the album.

And I was amused to just discover that "Vienna" stalled at #2 on the UK charts. It was kept out of the #1 spot by this:

Songs and videos like Vienna make me think the '80s were just amazing... and then you have Joe Docle and that farcical nonsense. A simply sobering end to wistful nostalgia lol

Weird how some bands elude you even though you like the style and genre. This and Visage fall into that category. I actually started listening to this type of music at least a year before I got into bands like Zeppelin and Floyd. Somehow this particular band never clicked although my friends were really into them. I don't even think I ever watched that entire Vienna video until today. Can't wait to here this new 5.1 SW mix! Got it cued up on Tidal along with Visage in the meantime.

Visage - you should check out the excellent sounding remastered RBCDs from Rubellan: Visage / Visage | Rubellan Remasters

Visage - you should check out the excellent sounding remastered RBCDs from Rubellan: Visage / Visage | Rubellan Remasters

Thanks for the recommendation. Ordered a copy from AmazonUS. Great Band!
61nzJPLvdFL._SL1013_.jpg
71avTddSFKL._SL1212_.jpg

If you've ever seen the video to 'Passing Strangers' you might be quite happy that there are no videos on the DVD. It's on Youtube if you can bear to look.

If you've ever seen the video to 'Passing Strangers' you might be quite happy that there are no videos on the DVD. It's on Youtube if you can bear to look.
Ha ha! I think it looks OK, but I think I see your point. It's of its time (which I like). It's very professional for a 1980 video.

I expect they are there, but (pretty much) all of UV's vids are available on this Ultravox - The Very Best Of. The sound is 48/16 PCM stereo (not just DD). It can be had very cheaply used on Amazon. (UK, at least.)

Here in the UK that is a perennial piece of trivia, that's how big a deal it was for a classic to be kept off #1 by a novelty record. I suspect for some younger people it's the only fact they know about UV 🙁.

If you can get hold of it, the DVD of Ultravox's 2010 reunion tour "Return to Eden" is well worth getting, and would also make a great introduction to Ultravox. It's a superb live performance featuring all of their best songs from the Vienna/Rage in Eden and later periods. Unfortunately the 48k DTS 5.1 is "atmospheric" only, with audience and some (non-discrete) instrumentation in the rears, but the sound is superb.

If/when its confirmed that SW did the 5.1 mix I'll definitely be getting Vienna, but the album of theirs I really want to hear in surround is "Rage in Eden." There are so many great songs that would sound amazing in 5.1

BTW their 2012 reunion album "Brilliant" is fantastic too. It's like they came back right at the top of their game.

Coming clean here.....I've "barely" heard of Ultravox. Never had a clue at all who they were, or what they sounded like. I listened to this LP on Tube, and I have to say, I like it. This would never have lasted 1 minute back in the day, but today, I have a space for this sort of stuff.

I'll check out the price and see what to do... (oh, and Stevie Wilson makes a big difference too)

I was a big fan of Ultravox in the early 80s, I saw them live at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1981. They were a fantastic band but I think time has not been kind to them. They are rarely mentioned as an influence by anyone and when they are it's usually a reference to the earlier incarnation with John Foxx. I hope this new edition causes a reappraisal of the band because I think they deserve more attention than they've had in the intervening decades.

I remember myself as a teenager listening to all kinds of music. Then I went mainly into Metal simply because I had not enough money for buying all the vinyls and tapes I liked.

With my first home theater, I began to buy compilation DVDs and I started to re-discover all the music I left in the 80s, specially synth-pop. I jumped in the sofa when I listened to Yaz/Yazoo DTS mix of their albums and really sad when I bought The Very Best Of Ultravox and discover it had no sourround mix in the DVD.

Really happy with this Wilson's remix.

By the way. I didn't remember Visage until I watched a TV program last night making funny about old videos and hits. I knew the melody but I could not remember the name of the group nor the song.

I always find it interesting to read about how people's musical tastes and interests developed, and invariably expanded as they got older.

I have two older brothers who greatly influenced my musical tastes. The oldest one was into stuff like Yes, Genesis, Curved Air and Uriah Heep. These kind of bands were my first love; the first album I really got completely "into" was Uriah Heep's "Demons and Wizards." I was ten. I still enjoy them. Our "middle" brother was more into stuff like The Police, Bruce Wooley, Alex Harvey and Queen many of whom also stayed with me. As a family we used to listen to stuff like The Carpenters and John Denver at home, and much of that stuck too.

At Uni I was lucky enough to be good friends with a guy who had very similar, but broader musical tastes to me, who introduced me to Rainbow, Magnum, Steve Hillage and many, many other similar bands. I was also making my own discoveries like Eloy, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Marillion, Wishbone Ash, Vangelis, Twelfth Night...

A second good friend had a completely different, but very eclectic and diverse tastes from Soft Cell (who I never really go) to Philip Glass, Tomita, Eurythmics, Psychic TV and countless others. It was him who introduced me to Ultravox in the mid '80s. "Rage in Eden" remains my favourite of theirs and I still play it.

I've also been influenced a lot by my daughter who's a classically trained concert pianist. Through her I learnt to appreciate Shostakovich, Gershwin, Mussorgsky, Mahler and numerous other classical composers.

So now I will happily listen to just about anything. I like to think that I'm completely genre agnostic. I trust my ears and brain; if I like it, I like it and that's all that matters. :)

Back