Ultravox "Vienna" (Steven Wilson 5.1 remix in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Taken from a preview catalogue of Record Store Day's exclusive April releases:

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 10.48.02 AM.png

No 5.1 mentioned <cry>. Beautiful tune -- reminds me when I first moved to Scotland for grad school, and as a "yank" (grrr, I'm a S'UTHENEH, boy!), I found the November solar switch to dark Maxfield Parrish skies around 2:30 in the afternoon depressing. Not to mention the added cold.

But what surreal gorgeousness to hear that song on Radio 1 as I gazed out on a luminescent purple sky with Craigmillar Castle in the background! I still think of that moment years later.

Yet, still no buy if it is vinyl. Sigh. I'll keep to my memories.

Just posted on one of the SW groups - some publicity which suggests one of the two SW remix surprises for RSD will be a SW new stereo version of Sleepwalk as a single.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum baby...

Super Deluxe incoming...

Last edited:
Nice bit of detective work! I’ve got to admit I’m pretty convinced there will be a 5.1 mix even on this slim evidence.

Box Set + Steven Wilson is fairly convincing anyway, but what sells it to me is the phrase “stereo mix”(ironically). Even back in the dark ages of 1980, singles were just assumed to be stereo. It would not normally be worth mentioning that the new mix is stereo - unless there is a non-stereo mix floating about somewhere. So assuming they haven’t also created a mono 😲 mix I’m crossing my fingers for the full 5.1.

I hope there is a 5.1 for this, partially because the original mix of this record is excellent. For me , the only way Steven Wilson could add to the music would be by doing something radically different to the tracks, or by doing 5.1 . No disrespect to Steven, as we all know he is fantastic, but Conny Plank's work with Ultravox is among his best.

Whoa,
September is rapidly becoming a harvest for the music surround world!!

Need to put more pennies from heaven aside now.... :SG

Seems that every year toward the end has releases to remove gold from our wallets . . . shouldn't complain . . . I guess! <hears unhealthy squeak from wallet>

Back