Unfortunately My SACD Fell, But It Was Backed Up

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbazul

To my disgrace, yesterday I was cleaning my Sting’s Brand New Day SACD and I accidentally dropped it... 😭 I had a heart attack when I discovered the damage: you can see it below.

The stereo SACD layer and CD layer are intact, but unfortunatelly from track 8 to 10 of the multichannel layer are unplayable. This was the first SACD I bought!! :cry: Fortunatelly, last january I finished to backup all my SACD collection thanks to a post I found here in Quadraphonicquad💆‍♂️🙏🏼

705A41D2-AD4B-43D5-B294-2F9AF0F0A945.jpeg

395F64D7-EABB-4D34-A3A0-F2BA1DD45F4E.jpeg

I have dropped several CDs with no consecuences. So have in mind that SACDs require extra extra care!!
Do yourselves a favor and make backups!
👍🏼

It must have impacted right on the disc edge. I dont think you would see that kind of damage if it had landed flat. Im also surprised it only affected 3 tracks.

That’s exactly how It happened, It crashed with solid floor (pot). I guess it would have been different if it was carpet. Fortunately the first two tracks are my fave in that album..... I have to see the positive right?

Either I'm a total klutz or someone here is telling a fib.
I've dropped discs plenty of times and have never experienced damage like the OP
Or any real damage at all, maybe a little scuffing of the disc but nothing that interfered with it playing.

Looking through Discogs I see more than 6 versions in multichannel but none list Crest as the manufacturer. Does anyone know if A&M used Crest at that time? I am suspecting a faulty seal on the edges of the disc and fate just happened to split the protective layer from the pitted layer and immediate oxidation occured. I have one of the Doctor Who square CDs that shows similar discolouring due to the edges not being sealed after the cuts were made to shape the disc. It won't play on all machines now but thankfully I have an Oppo.

Looking through Discogs I see more than 6 versions in multichannel but none list Crest as the manufacturer. Does anyone know if A&M used Crest at that time? I am suspecting a faulty seal on the edges of the disc and fate just happened to split the protective layer from the pitted layer and immediate oxidation occured. I have one of the Doctor Who square CDs that shows similar discolouring due to the edges not being sealed after the cuts were made to shape the disc. It won't play on all machines now but thankfully I have an Oppo.
Better back it up if you havn't already. ;)

Already have. The material is available elsewhere but it is kinda cool to try loading it just right to centre it in the Oppo! Can't play in the car though, the real reason for backing it up!

Back