Universal Music Fire & Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why the hell haven't they made a big splash (at least to us) and just put out the damn Elton's they already have ready to go?? Promo them, get notices in newspapers (especially with all of this HiRez audio talk running around), and release the whole damn Elton 5.1 catalog on BluRay to go with GBYBR.

HOW HARD IS IT TO DO UNIVERSAL?? SO SIMPLE. PUT THEM OUT, MAKE MONEY. THAT'S WHY YOU'RE THERE

Agreed! Besides those 4 unreleased classic EJ surround mixes, reissuing the other 5 classic EJ surround mixes already released on SACD as Blu-Ray discs would be great for those of us who want to make (less-hassle) DVDA versions of these stellar surround mixes for our DVDA equipped cars.

And speaking of EJ in surround: https://www.facebook.com/SurroundEltonJohn ;)

I realise I have a repuatation for being a joker generally but where the unreleased EJ 5.1's are concerned it's a serious thing to me and - no hype - a genuine cause of consternation that they sadly remain unreleased to this day.

Over the years I've approached EJ's management and written to Universal.. admittedly not for some time.. but it was all a complete waste of time.. Universal never had the decency to even respond (to what I thought was a perfectly courteous letter & email) and EJ's people when I asked them about the SACDs of Caribou/Westies/Blue Moves/Don't Shoot Me.. were under the impression the SACDs had "all been released already" and were surprised to hear that wasn't in fact the case.

Damn right! Universal (this year anyway) have been a bunch of lazy bastards when it comes to surround.
Let's take a look at what they have "generously" given us this year for their HFPA program:

RUSH "Fly By Night" (already released on DVD-A)
Bon Jovi "Slippery When Wet" (already released on DVD-A)
RUSH "A Farewell to Kings" (already released on DVD-A)
Marvin Gaye "Let's Get It On" (already released on DVD-A & SACD)
Lynyrd Skynyrd "Southern Surroundings" (already released on DVD-A)
RUSH "Signals" (already released on DVD-A)

Besides all of these, we did get "Sparkle in the Rain", but that release was screwed up so badly it took them months to get it right and send us what we should have had all long. And what do we have to potentially look forward to besides these? "Pet Sounds", complete with unfiltered harmony vocals in the LFE channel!
The mind truly boggles…
Finally, they have apparently decided to pour more salt in the wound by not releasing what could have been the holy grail of all surround mixes released this year: "Roxy Music"

It's just so sad since they showed so much promise last year with releases like "Quadrophenia" (in full), "Reckless", "Legend", and "Songs from the Big Chair", but I guess they decided to return to their "Who gives a crap?" attitude.
Hope may not spring eternal with them any longer…

Not defending them (at all) but afaik there should be at least a couple of new things in Surround from Universal between now and the end of the year (beyond what's announced/ up for pre-order already) though we're in September obviously and unless they announce this stuff now it'll probably slip through the cracks along with the rest of it, or at least slip back to some release next year/ down the line instead.

Again not defending Universal for a nanosecond.. but are we 100% sure the Roxy Music stuff is being held up by the label and that Universal are indeed the label controlling their back catalogue now, since the EMI sell off..?

Not defending them (at all) but afaik there should be at least a couple of new things in Surround from Universal between now and the end of the year (beyond what's announced/ up for pre-order already) though we're in September obviously and unless they announce this stuff now it'll probably slip through the cracks along with the rest of it, or at least slip back to some release next year/ down the line instead.

Again not defending Universal for a nanosecond.. but are we 100% sure the Roxy Music stuff is being held up by the label and that Universal are indeed the label controlling their back catalogue now, since the EMI sell off..?

From Steven Wilson:

I've only remixed the first album, at least so far. I doubt they will ask me to do any more until the first one finally gets released and they see how well it does. That definitely won't be this year I'm afraid, but fingers crossed for early 2016.

And…
11174833_1640729682825837_5553927406660315694_n.jpg
The Universal logo is as plain as day.

If there are some more surround things to be released from them this year, that might be good as they may be able to redeem themselves after such a lackluster year, but time is short, so it had better be now or they will continue to hold their peace.

From Steven Wilson:

I've only remixed the first album, at least so far. I doubt they will ask me to do any more until the first one finally gets released and they see how well it does. That definitely won't be this year I'm afraid, but fingers crossed for early 2016.

And…
View attachment 21290
The Universal logo is as plain as day.

If there are some more surround things to be released from them this year, that might be good as they may be able to redeem themselves after such a lackluster year, but time is short, so it had better be now or they will continue to hold their peace.

Oh ok.. well then "GET ROXY MUSIC IN 5.1 OUT PRONTO OR GO FUCK YOURSELVES UNIVERSAL....!!!" :eek:

Well..................

Let's think back a few years:

About Capitol, at least the quad master for GFRR American Band is still alive, since Steve Hoffmann got it by mistake when it was preparing the Audio Fidelity release in 2010.

Uni have issued some old quad and newer mixes. It is more than what folks are stating in this thread.

There was the Eric Clapton 1974 box, there was the entire Moody Blues catalog. Layla etc. There will be more as the music industry continues to cool off and new issues things are needed.

By the way, I heard the most of the tapes that burned up were old Decca Jazz and vocals, and that the worst of the losses were Chess master tapes which many were lost. Large sections of their tapes were not in that location at the time of the fire.

Uni have issued some old quad and newer mixes. It is more than what folks are stating in this thread.

There was the Eric Clapton 1974 box, there was the entire Moody Blues catalog. Layla etc. There will be more as the music industry continues to cool off and new issues things are needed.

By the way, I heard the most of the tapes that burned up were old Decca Jazz and vocals, and that the worst of the losses were Chess master tapes which many were lost. Large sections of their tapes were not in that location at the time of the fire.

All very true, as I understand it a number of those ABC/Command and A&M tapes were already long gone and could never have been in that fire as Universal never had them in their possession in the first place.

I have to say that all the Elton John SACD discs sound fantastic! and its nice to have GBYBR on one nice BR disk !

I wonder if the master for Billy Joel "We Didn't Start the Fire" was lost in the fire. We can only hope.

Maybe Universal will license some stuff for SACD now that they've killed off SHM SACD. I guess they aren't making SACDs at all anymore.

Last edited:
One other label hasn't been mentioned at all: CTI. As far as I know Sony owns all of CTI's post-1970 masters which includes all of their quad releases. There aren't a ton, but there are some great ones including Grover Washington, Jr's 'Soul Box', Don Sebesky's 'Giant Box', George Benson's 'Body Talk', Johnny Hammond's 'Higher Ground', the first two Deodato albums, and a few others.

It was never even rumoured for release, but if a quad mix of Idris Muhammad's 'Power Of Soul' album (with Bob James, Randy Brecker and Grover Washington amongst others) from 1974 on CTI/Kudu existed and was released, I think I'd die of happiness. Easily my favourite thing that ever came out on the label.

It turns out that the CTI albums are controlled by Universal Music Group these days.
Would be worth exploring.

Are you sure that's the case for the 1970-1979 (post A&M-era) CTI albums? Some of them have been reissued on CD as recently as 2008 by Sony and are still for sale on amazon.com, including the first two Deodato albums and the Idris Muhammad album I mentioned previously.

Back