Universal Music Fire & Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

According to Randy Aronson who was curator for the Universal 'vaults' at the time of the fire, over 175,000 master reels were lost in the fire.

The scope of this calamity is laid out in litigation and company documents, thousands of pages of depositions and internal UMG files that I obtained while researching this article. UMG’s accounting of its losses, detailed in a March 2009 document marked “CONFIDENTIAL,” put the number of “assets destroyed” at 118,230. Randy Aronson considers that estimate low: The real number, he surmises, was “in the 175,000 range.” If you extrapolate from either figure, tallying songs on album and singles masters, the number of destroyed recordings stretches into the hundreds of thousands. In another confidential report, issued later in 2009, UMG asserted that “an estimated 500K song titles” were lost.

Last edited:
Someone on the ARSC list posted this earlier today:

I'm not sure if this is just some random person making guesses or what, but I noticed that earlier they'd tweeted a picture of Enoch Light's Spaced Out as one of the presumably 'perished' recordings. It looks like they've deleted all their tweets now, I wonder what happened.

A while back out of curiousity as to what happened to the Project 3 masters I did some googling and found a post from December 2008 on the same ARSC list discussion group that said the following (bold emphasis mine):

Scott/Tom,

We actually represent the current owners of the Project 3 catalogue, SPJ
Music, for licensing. We have not exploited this particular catalogue
as of yet (as our initial interest was in the Vox catalogue, which is
also owned by them). I'm in the process of getting a list of the type
of masters in the archive still extant (multi-channel, 35mm, quad,
etc.). Presently, the masters for these are in storage in
Massacheusetts.
I do not, as of yet, have a good handle on the
condition of these, but will update you when known.

Mark Jenkins
President, Licensing Division
Madacy Entertainment LP/Countdown Media

So that would suggest that if there were Project 3/Enoch Light tapes that burned up in the fire, either they weren't (true) masters, or at worst that safety copies exist, at least.

I'm not sure if this is just some random person making guesses or what, but I noticed that earlier they'd tweeted a picture of Enoch Light's Spaced Out as one of the presumably 'perished' recordings. It looks like they've deleted all their tweets now, I wonder what happened.

A while back out of curiousity as to what happened to the Project 3 masters I did some googling and found a post from December 2008 on the same ARSC list discussion group that said the following (bold emphasis mine):

Scott/Tom,

We actually represent the current owners of the Project 3 catalogue, SPJ
Music, for licensing. We have not exploited this particular catalogue
as of yet (as our initial interest was in the Vox catalogue, which is
also owned by them). I'm in the process of getting a list of the type
of masters in the archive still extant (multi-channel, 35mm, quad,
etc.). Presently, the masters for these are in storage in
Massacheusetts.
I do not, as of yet, have a good handle on the
condition of these, but will update you when known.

Mark Jenkins
President, Licensing Division
Madacy Entertainment LP/Countdown Media

So that would suggest that if there were Project 3/Enoch Light tapes that burned up in the fire, either they weren't (true) masters, or at worst that safety copies exist, at least.
This doesn't include the Command master tapes though, does it? Just the ones from his next label, Project 3. Also, I'd note that SPJ's last release was right around 2008, and Vox's catalog is now owned by Naxos, no clue about Project 3.

This doesn't include the Command master tapes though, does it? Just the ones from his next label, Project 3. Also, I'd note that SPJ's last release was right around 2008, and Vox's catalog is now owned by Naxos, no clue about Project 3.

MADACY Entertainment who owns those Project 3 masters used to release RBCDs of the 101 Strings Catalogue.....budget reissues.

Ubertrout, now that NAXOS controls the Vox classical label [which in its day did release a plethora of QS vinyl] wonder what the fate of that label is? At least MoFi did release approximately 8 VOX titles in QUAD SACD and since NAXOS is no longer releasing Hi Res Surround on BD~A [another sporadic BD~A 'launch'] the fate of that catalogue is likewise in LIMBO!

According to the Quadraphonic Discography, there are quite a few VINYL, QR and Q8 Surround releases from the 101 Strings on the Audio Spectrum/Pye/Astor labels

101 STRINGS -
* A Whiter Shade of Pale. PYE Y8QP-1018 (Q8) [UK]
* Country Hall of Fame. Audio Spectrum QS-8 (QS), QST-8 (Q8),
Quadio by Toho TQ1-8 (Q8)
Dynamic Sounds. Audio Spectrum QS-20 (QS), QST-20 (Q8), Astor QS 20 (QS)
[Australia]
Exciting Sounds of Les Baxter. Audio Spectrum QS-2 (QS), QST-2 (Q8),
ASQ 002-QC (QR), Astor QS 2 (QS) [Australia], Pye Y8QP 1006 (Q8) [UK]
Fiddler on the Roof & Other Songs. Audio Spectrum QS-15 (QS),
ASQ-015-QC (QR), QST-15 (Q8), Astor QS 15 (QS) [Australia]
* Latin Holiday. Audio Spectrum QS-17 (QS), ASQ-017-QC (QR), QST-17 (Q8),
Toyo TQ1-17 (Q8) [Japan], Astor QS 17 (QS) [Australia], QS-10 (QS) [Brasil]
Million Sellers from the Movies. Audio Spectrum QS-5 (QS), ASQ-005-QC (QR),
QST-5 (Q8)
* Movie Themes & Other Selections. Audio Spectrum QS-24 (QS),
QST-24 (Q8), Astor QS-5 (QS) [Australia], Pye Y8QP-1013 (Q8) [UK]
Mozart 40. Nippon Columbia QP-9013-ML (QX) [Japan]
Music From Lost Horizon. Audio Spectrum QS-23 (QS), QST-23 (Q8)
Plus Guitars. Audio Spectrum QS-11 (QS), ASQ-011-QC (QR),
QST-11 (Q8), Astor QS 11 (QS) [Australia]
Songs Written by Carole King. Audio Spectrum QS-22 (QS),
QST-22 (Q8)
Soul of Israel. Audio Spectrum QS-10 (QS), QST-10 (Q8)
Soul of Spain Vol. 3. Audio Spectrum QS-1 (QS), ASQ-001-QC (QR),
QST-1 (Q8), Astor QS 1 (QS) [Australia], Pye Y8QP 1005 (Q8) [UK],
Nippon Columbia QP-9014-ML (QX) [Japan]
* The Hits of Bacharach & Webb. Audio Spectrum QS-19 (QS),
ASQ-019-QC (QR), QST-19 (Q8), Nippon-Columbia 4RX-9011 (UD4)
[Japan], Astor QS-19 (QS) [Australia], Audio Spectrum QS-7 (QS) [Brasil]
{The above titles were originally released in EV encoding. version
marked as SQ or QS may actually be EV. This title may have been
originally released in EV and remastered for QS}
Audio Dimensional Excursion. Pye Y8QP 1008 (Q8) [UK]
Bacharach & Webb. Gramusic GM-Q0003 (QS) [Spain]
* Éxitos de la Pantalla. Gramusic GM-Q0004 (QS) [Spain], Gramusic GM-M-0004
(QSC) [Spain]
Guitarras En Ipanema. Gramusic GM-Q0006 (QS) [Spain]
Love Forever. Nippon-Columbia QB-9013 (QS) [Japan]
Million Dollar Sellers. Astor QS 5 (QS) [Australia]
Music From Cabaret. Astor QS 14 (QS) [Australia]
Plus Dynamic Percussion–An Experience In Sound. Audio Spectrum QST- (Q8)
Sounds of Today. Alshire TQ1-18 (Q8)
* Swinging Songs/Nelson Riddle Conducts. Audio Spectrum QS-16
(QS), ASQ-016-QC (QR), QST-16 (Q8), Pye Y8QP 1014 (Q8) [UK]
* Tema De Love Story. Gramusic GM-Q-0002 (QS) [Spain]
The Heart of Spain. Nippon-Columbia QB-9014 (QS) [Japan]
Theme From The Godfather And Other Movie Hits. Audio Spectrum QS-13 (QS),
ASQ-013-QC (QR), QST-13 (Q8), Astor QS 13 (QS) [Australia], QS-8 (EV)
[Mexico], Pye Y8QP-1013 (Q8) [UK]
* Today's Hits. Audio Spectrum QS-4 (QS), ASQ-004-QC (QR), QST-4
(Q8), Astor QS-4 (QS) [Australia], Audio Spectrum TQ1-4 (Q8)
Today’s Sound. Audio Spectrum QS-18 (QS), ASQ-018-QC (QR), QST-18 (Q8)

Last edited:
No, it doesn't include the Command master tapes which I believe were part of the ABC catalog, which are obviously a big loss if they are indeed gone. Speaking in quad terms it's only a small portion of Light's discography though, as I think only the first 6 ABC 'Command Quadraphonic' titles (CQD-40000 through CQD-40005) were from Light's original Command label.

I don't know what's become of the Project 3 masters, but at least judging from that post circa December 2008 they don't seem to have been anywhere near the Universal vault during time of the fire, which is a small victory in itself even if they haven't been reissued (yet).

MADACY Entertainment who owns those Project 3 masters used to release RBCDs of the 101 Strings Catalogue.....budget reissues.

Ubertrout, now that NAXOS controls the Vox classical label [which in its day did release a plethora of QS vinyl] wonder what the fate of that label is? At least MoFi did release approximately 8 VOX titles in QUAD SACD and since NAXOS is no longer releasing Hi Res Surround on BD~A [another sporadic BD~A 'launch'] the fate of that catalogue is likewise in LIMBO!

According to the Quadraphonic Discography, there are quite a few VINYL, QR and Q8 Surround releases from the 101 Strings on the Audio Spectrum/Pye labels

101 STRINGS -
* A Whiter Shade of Pale. PYE Y8QP-1018 (Q8) [UK]
* Country Hall of Fame. Audio Spectrum QS-8 (QS), QST-8 (Q8),
Quadio by Toho TQ1-8 (Q8)
Dynamic Sounds. Audio Spectrum QS-20 (QS), QST-20 (Q8), Astor QS 20 (QS)
[Australia]
Exciting Sounds of Les Baxter. Audio Spectrum QS-2 (QS), QST-2 (Q8),
ASQ 002-QC (QR), Astor QS 2 (QS) [Australia], Pye Y8QP 1006 (Q8) [UK]
Fiddler on the Roof & Other Songs. Audio Spectrum QS-15 (QS),
ASQ-015-QC (QR), QST-15 (Q8), Astor QS 15 (QS) [Australia]
* Latin Holiday. Audio Spectrum QS-17 (QS), ASQ-017-QC (QR), QST-17 (Q8),
Toyo TQ1-17 (Q8) [Japan], Astor QS 17 (QS) [Australia], QS-10 (QS) [Brasil]
Million Sellers from the Movies. Audio Spectrum QS-5 (QS), ASQ-005-QC (QR),
QST-5 (Q8)
* Movie Themes & Other Selections. Audio Spectrum QS-24 (QS),
QST-24 (Q8), Astor QS-5 (QS) [Australia], Pye Y8QP-1013 (Q8) [UK]
Mozart 40. Nippon Columbia QP-9013-ML (QX) [Japan]
Music From Lost Horizon. Audio Spectrum QS-23 (QS), QST-23 (Q8)
Plus Guitars. Audio Spectrum QS-11 (QS), ASQ-011-QC (QR),
QST-11 (Q8), Astor QS 11 (QS) [Australia]
Songs Written by Carole King. Audio Spectrum QS-22 (QS),
QST-22 (Q8)
Soul of Israel. Audio Spectrum QS-10 (QS), QST-10 (Q8)
Soul of Spain Vol. 3. Audio Spectrum QS-1 (QS), ASQ-001-QC (QR),
QST-1 (Q8), Astor QS 1 (QS) [Australia], Pye Y8QP 1005 (Q8) [UK],
Nippon Columbia QP-9014-ML (QX) [Japan]
* The Hits of Bacharach & Webb. Audio Spectrum QS-19 (QS),
ASQ-019-QC (QR), QST-19 (Q8), Nippon-Columbia 4RX-9011 (UD4)
[Japan], Astor QS-19 (QS) [Australia], Audio Spectrum QS-7 (QS) [Brasil]
{The above titles were originally released in EV encoding. version
marked as SQ or QS may actually be EV. This title may have been
originally released in EV and remastered for QS}
Audio Dimensional Excursion. Pye Y8QP 1008 (Q8) [UK]
Bacharach & Webb. Gramusic GM-Q0003 (QS) [Spain]
* Éxitos de la Pantalla. Gramusic GM-Q0004 (QS) [Spain], Gramusic GM-M-0004
(QSC) [Spain]
Guitarras En Ipanema. Gramusic GM-Q0006 (QS) [Spain]
Love Forever. Nippon-Columbia QB-9013 (QS) [Japan]
Million Dollar Sellers. Astor QS 5 (QS) [Australia]
Music From Cabaret. Astor QS 14 (QS) [Australia]
Plus Dynamic Percussion–An Experience In Sound. Audio Spectrum QST- (Q8)
Sounds of Today. Alshire TQ1-18 (Q8)
* Swinging Songs/Nelson Riddle Conducts. Audio Spectrum QS-16
(QS), ASQ-016-QC (QR), QST-16 (Q8), Pye Y8QP 1014 (Q8) [UK]
* Tema De Love Story. Gramusic GM-Q-0002 (QS) [Spain]
The Heart of Spain. Nippon-Columbia QB-9014 (QS) [Japan]
Theme From The Godfather And Other Movie Hits. Audio Spectrum QS-13 (QS),
ASQ-013-QC (QR), QST-13 (Q8), Astor QS 13 (QS) [Australia], QS-8 (EV)
[Mexico], Pye Y8QP-1013 (Q8) [UK]
* Today's Hits. Audio Spectrum QS-4 (QS), ASQ-004-QC (QR), QST-4
(Q8), Astor QS-4 (QS) [Australia], Audio Spectrum TQ1-4 (Q8)
Today’s Sound. Audio Spectrum QS-18 (QS), ASQ-018-QC (QR), QST-18 (Q8)
Yup, posted about Vox/Turnabout on the Epoch request thread. Posted about Command too - it would at least be nice to know what happened to their tapes even if their gone. Some more about ABC here: http://bsnpubs.com/abc/abcstory.html. I did notice that for Command Classics, the releases on CD corresponded a little too well to what had been released on RTR commercially.

Yup, posted about Vox/Turnabout on the Epoch request thread. Posted about Command too - it would at least be nice to know what happened to their tapes even if their gone. Some more about ABC here: http://bsnpubs.com/abc/abcstory.html. I did notice that for Command Classics, the releases on CD corresponded a little too well to what had been released on RTR commercially.

And of course that mind~blowing revelation from the article concerning ABC Records:

The mid-1970s at ABC were an unfortunate time for music lovers. To save space, and consequently a few dollars, ABC systematically went through their vaults and discarded all tapes except the finished masters for most artists. Consequently, few multitrack masters or outtakes exist for early ABC material, and the ABC masters on compact disc sound worse than they could have if the "cleanup" program hadn't occurred. Some masters, such as the Ray Charles masters which reverted to him after his leaving the label, escaped from this short-sited "cost savings," but in general, the ABC catalog of today is nothing like what it should be, given the rich musical heritage of the label.

Wonder if the multitracks for Steely Dan's first two albums [for ABC]: Can't Buy a Thrill and Countdown to Ecstasy survived. Universal did release Countdown to Ecstasy on Stereo SHM~SACD* approximately 2 years ago.

*http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UIGY-15005?s_ssid=e3179b5d0aaba9e41d

Last edited:
And of course that mind~blowing revelation from the article concerning ABC Records:

The mid-1970s at ABC were an unfortunate time for music lovers. To save space, and consequently a few dollars, ABC systematically went through their vaults and discarded all tapes except the finished masters for most artists. Consequently, few multitrack masters or outtakes exist for early ABC material, and the ABC masters on compact disc sound worse than they could have if the "cleanup" program hadn't occurred. Some masters, such as the Ray Charles masters which reverted to him after his leaving the label, escaped from this short-sited "cost savings," but in general, the ABC catalog of today is nothing like what it should be, given the rich musical heritage of the label.

Wonder if the multitracks for Steely Dan's first two albums [for ABC]: Can't Buy a Thrill and Countdown to Ecstasy survived. Universal did release Countdown to Ecstasy on Stereo SHM~SACD* approximately 2 years ago.

*http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UIGY-15005?s_ssid=e3179b5d0aaba9e41d
If there was a finished master kept it wouldn't be an impediment to a remaster, including SHM-SACD, only a new mix, stereo or surround (or a bonus tracks release).

If there was a finished master kept it wouldn't be an impediment to a remaster, including SHM-SACD, only a new mix, stereo or surround (or a bonus tracks release).
Right there are three chances for the Steely Dan multis to have been lost. ABC purge, Uni fire, and that other disaster in PA. There are also two chances for the Original stereo mix masters to be lost

Yes that would make sense.
What I am afraid of is the unknown outtakes and alternate versions we will never hear or know about.
Last year a lost album of John Coltrane was released. It was made from a mono safety tape copy. Where are the original stereo tapes from engineer Rudy Van Gelder? UMG are you listening?

Yes that would make sense.
What I am afraid of is the unknown outtakes and alternate versions we will never hear or know about.
Last year a lost album of John Coltrane was released. It was made from a mono safety tape copy. Where are the original stereo tapes from engineer Rudy Van Gelder? UMG are you listening?

I did buy the single RBCD version of Coltrane's lost tapes and sonically, no big deal. I'm sure the stereo originals perished in the Universal '08 fire.

Back