Universal Music to Remix Thousands of Songs Into Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to throw a wet-blanket on anything surround, or Atmos, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that a least some of the Atmos effect for Abbey Road was done with a mic array in a live room, much like for KoB and SoP.
After all, Giles is familiar with the technique, as that's how the "surround" content was created for 1+...
As for me, if it's cool, it's cool. Don't care how it was done. I prefer bonkers Atmos, to ambient Atmos, but I'm keeping an open mind, mostly, as of yet.

Not to throw in another wet blanket but the surround for 1+, IMO, was a disaster.....a REAL minus!

With Abbey Road, Giles had 8 multitracks from which to fashion a 5.1 and potential ATMOS soundscape ..... certainly better than KoB and Sketches' original three tracks.

Last edited:
Not to throw in another wet blanket but the surround for +1, IMO, was a disaster.....a REAL minus!

With Abbey Road, Giles had 8 multitracks from which to fashion a 5.1 and potential ATMOS soundscape ..... certainly better than KoB and Sketches' original three tracks.

If Giles pulls the same 5.1 stunt with Abbey Road as he did with 1+, I'm sending it....well...um...ummm...there will be a high resolution stereo layer. ;)

I hate to throw a wet-blanket on anything surround, or Atmos, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that a least some of the Atmos effect for Abbey Road was done with a mic array in a live room, much like for KoB and SoP.
After all, Giles is familiar with the technique, as that's how the "surround" content was created for 1+...
As for me, if it's cool, it's cool. Don't care how it was done. I prefer bonkers Atmos, to ambient Atmos, but I'm keeping an open mind, mostly, as of yet.
Homey don’t play that!

1565491588934.gif

I did write some of the Atmos effect. And I don't know, do I? This MF could be the flagship Atmos release of all time!
Giles did great with Kick, after all.
Besides, the reactions to KoB and SoP sound encouraging, though that article might have been a bit of a sales pitch. And the method of producing reverb with mics is used quite frequently by top producers, even on stereo recordings.

Last edited:
Through what kind of system and speaker array did you listen to Kick, perpy?
I think it's well known that I'm running 7.2.4. So when I say I'm happy with an Atmos mix it's on those grounds. No down-mixing. As intended.
5.1.4. The only Atmos discs that I’m completely satisfied with the sound are Kraftwerk 3-D and the classical selections I have from 2L. I do have Roger Waters The Wall but haven’t watched it since I acquired it, before I had Atmos. Automatic For The People is all hit/miss as well but I tend to favor it for the music.

5.1.4. The only Atmos discs that I’m completely satisfied with the sound are Kraftwerk 3-D and the classical selections I have from 2L. I do have Roger Waters The Wall but haven’t watched it since I acquired it, before I had Atmos. Automatic For The People is all hit/miss as well but I tend to favor it for the music.
Well, I don't envy being displeased with either Kick or AFtP. Both are among my absolute favorite surround experiences these days.
At least Abbey Road is getting a dedicated 5.1 mix...

Well, I don't envy being displeased with either Kick or AFtP. Both are among my absolute favorite surround experiences these days.
To each their own. Since I’ve acquired the Scheiner mix, that’s all I ever play now. But, that doesn’t mean I won’t break out the Atmos mix from time to time, going forward.

Anyone know why they use real speakers and real microphones
(subject to frequency/phase/polar response anomalies)
instead of all digital processing?

I just posted (QQ Library: Anti-Quad...) a little about the Audio Pulse
Surround Sound simulator (introduced ~40 years ago).

Yamaha introduced the all digital DSP-1 Surround Sound simulator
(about ~30 years ago).

Obviously, with all digital Surround Sound simulators, ATMOS mixes
can have less distortion and the "room" size/shape can be easily
changed, from Astrodome size to broom closet size, for example.

Kirk Bayne

To each their own. Since I’ve acquired the Scheiner mix, that’s all I ever play now. But, that doesn’t mean I won’t break out the Atmos mix from time to time, going forward.

It's interesting how people 'hear' different things, and I mean no disrespect to that comment. After owning the DVDA of Automatic For The People for many years, I can't imagine myself going back to the DVDA after hearing the ATMOS version. The DVDA has become a collectors item at this point.

I was randomly playing songs in Atmos last night and two things stood out regarding sound:

Best song mix: Imagine Dragons - Radioactive (from their Smoke & Mirrors live BDV)
Most Disappointing mix: Kiss - Kiss Rocks Vegas (BDV)

Roger Waters - The Wall was also disappointing mix wise. Special effects were ok but don’t buy this for surround music. I only played a couple of songs from this BDV. Maybe I’ve missed something...

I was randomly playing songs in Atmos last night and two things stood out regarding sound:

Best song mix: Imagine Dragons - Radioactive (from their Smoke & Mirrors live BDV)
Most Disappointing mix: Kiss - Kiss Rocks Vegas (BDV)

Roger Waters - The Wall was also disappointing mix wise. Special effects were ok but don’t buy this for surround music. I only played a couple of songs from this BDV. Maybe I’ve missed something...
When I saw Roger Waters play the Wall at the O2 in London a few years ago he had a 'surround PA system' (+with speakers up above) which were only used for 'special effects', so it seems the releases mix follows this philosophy :(

Well, I for one will stick up for The Wall. Not sure what various listeners are hoping will come out of the surrounds, but I don't see the point in demanding discrete music from them, necessarily.
Those types of concert mixes are special.
What I can say is, I've A/B'ed some Atmos songs from the concert in Atmos mode, then in just Dolby True HD mode, and also some non-Atmos songs from the bonus content.
For me, the Atmos presentation is more satisfying by miles. YMMV, of course.

Last edited:
Back