Universal remote; need advice on good ones?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. PUPSTER

💿🐕 Senior Disc Chaser 🎸
QQ Supporter
My Marantz remote for a 8500 receiver has gone out again for the second time. I think it's due to cheap Costco batteries that go bad and tend to leak acid (maybe just wacked something inside the remote when a battery died :unsure:

Anybody have a good Universal remote recommendation I could use instead, these Marantz remotes are starting to get hard to find? :censored:

My Marantz remote for a 8500 receiver has gone out again for the second time. I think it's due to cheap Costco batteries that go bad and tend to leak acid (maybe just wacked something inside the remote when a battery died :unsure:

Anybody have a good Universal remote recommendation I could use instead, these Marantz remotes are starting to get hard to find? :censored:
I've had my Logitech Harmony One for several years now. I cannot imagine life without it.

image.jpg

Logitech is good stuff,easy to set up too. :)

No problem, but are you a brick layer also?

Damn; these remotes are expensive WTF?

i got a Logitech Harmony 1100 back when i was a bit more flush (currently sitting in a drawer, nothing wrong with it, just not something i use enough right now to warrant keeping it charged up) anyway.. even though they stopped making them one can now be picked up used on eBay for about £50 (presumably support and software's still available?). its a nice enough if slightly clunky touchscreen remote, found it especially useful with macro commands with multiple devices to operate to complete one task; say for example you want to "watch a Blu-ray", it will turn on the TV (shut out the lights, Roy Rogers is riding tonight!) turn on the AVR, switch AVR input, switch on the BDP and away you go.. well you do have to get up off the sweet spot to load up the disc as usual.. but still a recommended gizmo 🙂

Well it is pretty, just not sure I need a remote to remind me of my activities... I know my memory’s not what it used to be... :unsure: I’d really be impressed if it told me I’d been laying bricks!
It doesn't remind you of activities. Those are functions I named. I named them in a way that made sense to me. TV Stereo means watch TV through the stereo. It turns everything on, in the correct order...sets the audio the way I like it, etc. You can add as many activities as you like. Each can be slightly different.

It doesn't remind you of activities. Those are functions I named. I named them in a way that made sense to me. TV Stereo means watch TV through the stereo. It turns everything on, in the correct order...sets the audio the way I like it, etc. You can add as many activities as you like. Each can be slightly different.
My wife might love that; right now she can’t figure out shite with all the remotes!
Remote fight night; might be the highlight with one of those 🤸‍♀️

I don't know, looks like you have to work through the internet cloud for that to work :unsure:
The only universal remote I've ever had was an older Logitech 1000:
1586627256404.png

It was generous gift from wife. I spent about 2 weeks trying to make peace with it & it's been in the box ever since. I'm just not a macro kind of guy. The home screen said something like "what do you want to do?" and gave suggestions like watch TV , listen radio, etc. It seemed not to be able (or I couldn't figure it out) that I had LD, DVD & Blu-ray players & was no good for controlling my quad decoders & wouldn't let me adjust F/B or L/R balance on my Anthem. The factory remote did.

I'm not dissing Logitech remotes as others here hav had good success. And my son in law has a newer remote like Gene's & quite likes. However his set up is much simpler than mine.

What Learned from this experience is that you have to actually use & work with a uni remote to know if it does what you want. Also it probably will not fulfill all the options you can get on multiple dedicated remotes.

Good luck. I hope you find the remote of your dreams!

The only universal remote I've ever had was an older Logitech 1000:
View attachment 49169

It was generous gift from wife. I spent about 2 weeks trying to make peace with it & it's been in the box ever since. I'm just not a macro kind of guy. The home screen said something like "what do you want to do?" and gave suggestions like watch TV , listen radio, etc. It seemed not to be able (or I couldn't figure it out) that I had LD, DVD & Blu-ray players & was no good for controlling my quad decoders & wouldn't let me adjust F/B or L/R balance on my Anthem. The factory remote did.

I'm not dissing Logitech remotes as others here hav had good success. And my son in law has a newer remote like Gene's & quite likes. However his set up is much simpler than mine.

What Learned from this experience is that you have to actually use & work with a uni remote to know if it does what you want. Also it probably will not fulfill all the options you can get on multiple dedicated remotes.

Good luck. I hope you find the remote of your dreams!
Thanks, generally I just like simple and easy.
It took me years to ditch my flip phone for a smart phone... so maybe just a simple remote like that Logi 665 :unsure:

Back