Universal to release THIN LIZZY/ROCK LEGENDS box set in Oct.!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in on this, as a proper Irishman would say "I love TIN Lizzy".
What I like about this box set: if they are only going to give us likely compressed CD's it might as well be demos, unreleased, etc which this box set does. The box sets that are a discography of remastered CD's I tend to stay away from, most of the time.

I am in on this, as a proper Irishman would say "I love TIN Lizzy".
What I like about this box set: if they are only going to give us likely compressed CD's it might as well be demos, unreleased, etc which this box set does. The box sets that are a discography of remastered CD's I tend to stay away from, most of the time.
That's the thing that makes me hesitant to purchase these big CD collections (such as this one and Tom Petty's "Wildflowers" collection)... I don't want a bunch of DR 5, smashed-to-hell music... so even though I desperately want these sets, I have to wait and see what kind of DR numbers they'll have before purchasing (not to mention the lack of surround)

That's the thing that makes me hesitant to purchase these big CD collections (such as this one and Tom Petty's "Wildflowers" collection)... I don't want a bunch of DR 5, smashed-to-hell music... so even though I desperately want these sets, I have to wait and see what kind of DR numbers they'll have before purchasing (not to mention the lack of surround)
There possibly can be some good news with this upcoming box set in regards to compression.
Disc 1: Singles, will they bother to butcher them?
Discs 2-5: Rarities, usually these are not overly compressed.
Disc 6: Live, who knows?
I own 6 Thin Lizzy files. One SHM SACD, Two CD's, and Three 24/192 downloads. ALL of them track to track range 10-15, with the average being 12. If the authors of this new box set stay with the Dynamic history, this will be a good box set for the Thin Lizzy fan.

I'm not aware of any Rush masters by Andy Pearce. The most recent Rush catalogue remasters were done by Sean Magee.

Ugh you're right, but in my defense all them mastering engineers look alike? :rolleyes:

I do stand by my opinions on Pearce's Black Sabbath remasters, they're now my go to's.

I was on such a good run of know-it-all-ery too...

1597964536138.png

There possibly can be some good news with this upcoming box set in regards to compression.
Disc 1: Singles, will they bother to butcher them?
Discs 2-5: Rarities, usually these are not overly compressed.
Disc 6: Live, who knows?
I own 6 Thin Lizzy files. One SHM SACD, Two CD's, and Three 24/192 downloads. ALL of them track to track range 10-15, with the average being 12. If the authors of this new box set stay with the Dynamic history, this will be a good box set for the Thin Lizzy fan.
Off-topic, but does anyone know of free software to measure DR of music we already own? I looked at a component for foobar, but it appears to be problematic, even if one can find it.

Amen

For what it's worth, this set is being mastered by Andy Pearce, who did a great job with hi-rez stereo remasters of both the Rush and Black Sabbath catalogs over the last few years - both are full dynamic range as far as I know.

Pearce did a great job on both the Sabbath and Heep remasters. No hires for me on either yet though, just standard CD.

Back