Unknown Taiwan Quad Demonstration Album Mystery

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Anderson

Staff member
I saw this 2 LP demonstration album at https://tw.search.bid.yahoo.com/search/auction/product?p=%E5%9B%9B%E8%81%B2%E9%81%93LP%E5%94%B1%E7%89%87&qt=product&cid=0&clv=0 that has one disc in RM and the other in SQ. I have not been able to identify the label or contents, only the catalog number. Can anyone supply more info?

Unknown (Cambrian Heritage, Sampo brand). Unknown Label SUP-008 (RM & SQ) [Taiwan]a.jpg

Unknown (Cambrian Heritage, Sampo brand). Unknown Label SUP-008 (RM & SQ) [Taiwan]c.jpg

Unknown. Unknown Label SUP-008 (RM & SQ) [Taiwan]c.jpg

Unknown (Cambrian Heritage, Sampo brand). Unknown Label SUP-008 (RM & SQ) [Taiwan]b.jpg

Given the source, I'm not sure I'd want to find out if it's quad or not, given the dubious sound quality one can expect. Assuming quad sources were actually used (this is presumably a comp, not a synth or orchestra knockoff of tracks, though there's only one way to be sure...) one to add to the discography, perhaps, but unless I come across such a creature for a few bucks, wouldn't risk more even out of curiosity.

ED :)

I never knew the RM button on my SQD2020 referred to an actual encoding method.

Mark,
maybe the cover illustration can help out to find what these disks really are. Since Taiwan / China were well-known for producing knockoffs of Japanese releases, do you remember any orchestral quad LP with a similar cover drawing?

BTW, the images you posted doesn't match the ones in the auction. How?

I saw this 2 LP demonstration album at https://tw.search.bid.yahoo.com/search/auction/product?p=%E5%9B%9B%E8%81%B2%E9%81%93LP%E5%94%B1%E7%89%87&qt=product&cid=0&clv=0 that has one disc in RM and the other in SQ. I have not been able to identify the label or contents, only the catalog number. Can anyone supply more info?

View attachment 18967

In the above photo, the last 2 traditional Chinese characters in the horizontal line of text underneath the SQ and 4 Ch logos indicated that this album is a gift. Perhaps some kind of a demonstration disc being given away at an audio show?

The traditional Chinese text in the red and white logo, specifically 聲寶, is the name used by Japan's Sharp in Hong Kong. The Chinese name of Sharp is well-known and is still being used on its Hong Kong website. However, I don't remember Sharp ever having such a logo. Whether Sharp did business in Taiwan at the time of this LP's release is unknown. It could be that a company in Taiwan was using Sharp's Chinese name as its own, without Sharp's permission.

I specifically mentioned the traditional Chinese text (used in Taiwan, HK, and SE Asia) vs. simplified Chinese text (use being imposed by the Chinese Communist Party, even at the UN) because the title of track #7 (following Theme From The "Shaft") used simplified Chinese text. The title of track #7 translates to "The Song of Sharp", with the Chinese name of Sharp written in simplified Chinese text. Given that the rest of the Chinese text was in traditional form, why the simplified form there?

Probably because it was a copy from another disc; they used the originally written title for track 7, so it could comes down as a taiwan boot copy of a chinese original demo disco by Sharp.

Thanks soundboy for the info you provided. You mention that the disc's are listed as a gift, perhaps it was included with a sound system purchase? Considering Optonica (Sharp) was the audio brand in Japan maybe their is a correlation with some of the Optonica demonstration discs issued in Japan but of the ones I know of now, I have not been able to make a connection.

Back