Unlock your OPPO Blu-ray player for all DVD regions!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Wiz, I appreciate the feedback.
Truth is, perhaps entirely through luck I've only run into one disc the Oppo's wou ld not play. ....although I misspoke and said Gary Moore, It's actually BB King In Concert, 2003, PAL & region 2. It's one of those that BMG / IMAGE used to put out.
My older neighbors are 1st gen Germans & occasionaly they bring a PAL disc over for me to copy. When I have tried those in the Oppo it plays fine. Mainly I did the super disc update so I could play Japanese DVD's. Works for that too.

Wait, I thought the superdisc only unlocked DVD regions, not Blu-ray regions?

That is correct.

However a lot of US Blu Rays are encoded as all zones, even quite a few that say Zone A on the disc label and case. So you can think you have a Zone unlocked player when in fact you don't.

Wait, I thought the superdisc only unlocked DVD regions, not Blu-ray regions?
The only German Blu-Ray movie I tried was called Der Spiegel, like the news magazine but no relation. In checking back on this I see it was region free so I retract my comment that it works fine on Blu-Ray. Now you've got my curiosity up...

Works great. DVD's, Blu-Rays any region glitch free. All though it is a firmware update it does not lock you into that forever if you want to change. About 6 months after installing I checked & there was an updtae for my Oppo but I declined. If I did that I would just have to re-do super disc update. So whether it freezes you into one update is amatter of choice. I haven't felt the need to mess with it one way or another it just works.

I can corroborate Sonik Wiz's report. I've had essentially the same experience with Superdisc.

This is cool. I am going to have my son follow up on this when he gets home as he has a PC. I have a Mac and the site instructions for Macs is down right now. I use my 203 exclusively for music not movies. I recently got a DVD A Steve Miller Fly like and Eagle surround. The disc specifically says 'no region restrictions' or something like that on it. Yet it won't play in either of my US players, the Oppo or my Sony. I have an all region LG and it plays fine in that, but that player is connected to my TV/5.1 system in another room that is far lower quality than the setup with the Oppo

That is not my experience. Superdisc does not change the firmware in the player, and nor does it make the player Blu Ray zone free.
To make an Oppo blu-ray region 'switchable' you need to install a chip. You then use the remote to change blu ray regions as required.

Someone should tell Panasonic....
IMG_20210126_115753.jpg

I'm curious. What model Panasonic / Oppo do you have? What discs does the Panny play that the Oppo wont?
Oppo UDP 203 and Panasonic DP-UB820. Oppo will not play Patton Blu Ray and Gandhi UHD. Also has trouble playing part of Imax enhanced Space Station UHD.

I did have a 'scare' yesterday when I went to play disc 2 of the UHD of Lord of the Rings: The Two towers. The panasonic gave a 'Copyright Violation' error. Turned out to be a thumbprint on the disc. Cleaning it fixed things.

Back