Unlock your OPPO Blu-ray player for all DVD regions!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I received a Blu-ray from England Region B and attempted to play it on my modified Oppo 203 (see above) and it wouldn’t play. A map appeared on my screen explaining the three different regions and I needed a player for B. I was surprised as I had modified it for universal play. The blu-ray is a new film released this year, my modification, about 5 years old. I wonder if new films can recognize this modification and won’t play? Or is my modification only for DVDs?

Last edited:
Yesterday I received a Blu-ray from England Region B and attempted to play it on my modified Oppo 203 (see above) and it wouldn’t play. A map appeared on my screen explaining the three different regions and I needed a player for B. I was surprised as I had modified it for universal play. The blu-ray is a new film released this year, my modification, about 5 years old. I wonder if new films can recognize this modification and won’t play?
Blu Ray multi region is not automatic, there will be a magic sequence of buttons you have to press on the remote to make your Oppo region B to play this disc. To play a region A disc you'll need a magic sequence again to switch to region A. The Blu Ray forum tightened up the rules on what was permitted after all the DVD region free mods, to get a Blu Ray licence it has to be impossible to run the player as all regions. What the mods exploit is the factory manufacturing systems to set the region of the player.

Yesterday I received a Blu-ray from England Region B and attempted to play it on my modified Oppo 203 (see above) and it wouldn’t play. A map appeared on my screen explaining the three different regions and I needed a player for B. I was surprised as I had modified it for universal play. The blu-ray is a new film released this year, my modification, about 5 years old. I wonder if new films can recognize this modification and won’t play? Or is my modification only for DVDs?
If it's any help the button sequence for my modified 205 in Oz is:

Change Blu-ray region:
  • Start player with no disc.
  • After message “No Disc”, press:
  • Region A: dimmer, dimmer, dimmer, mute 1
  • Region B: dimmer, dimmer, dimmer, mute 2
  • Region C: dimmer, dimmer, dimmer, mute 3
Restart player.

Change DVD region:
Usually set to Region 0
(as above), but:
For Region 0 up to 6: dimmer, dimmer, dimmer, pure audio, 0 to 6

I guess I should have added to my post #63 that jailbreaking an Oppo makes it region free, supposedly.
However I usually rip discs and remove the AACS protection and region stuff anyway, then remake the .iso for playback on the pc.
But my Oppo should play any disc, regardless of region, theoretically.

Reactions: GOS
I guess I should have added to my post #63 that jailbreaking an Oppo makes it region free, supposedly.
However I usually rip discs and remove the AACS protection and region stuff anyway, then remake the .iso for playback on the pc.
But my Oppo should play any disc, regardless of region, theoretically.
"Jailbreaking" your OPPO not only makes it able to play DVD's and Blu-ray discs from every region but also the ability to play .iso files stored on USB or network connected HDD's...

Yes see my referenced post #63 there SMD. :)
Actually it's not limited to .iso's. It will play VIDEO_TS folders, MKV, different file formats. Just that the video formats must be played as Video and other music file formats played as Music under the Network settings. But that's just basic Oppo stuff, separating video from other formats.

Interestingly, scripting is supposed to be disabled as part of the jailbreak firmware. But I was able to rip an SACD successfully, although it took several tries.

Interestingly, scripting is supposed to be disabled as part of the jailbreak firmware. But I was able to rip an SACD successfully, although it took several tries.
Really, with a UDP-20x player?

I thought it was only possible to rip/back-up SACD's using OPPO BDP-10x players (fitted with MediaTek MT85xx chip-sets).

Really, with a UDP-20x player?

I thought it was only possible to rip/back-up SACD's using OPPO BDP-10x players (fitted with MediaTek MT85xx chip-sets).
I have no idea about those . I have a 103.
In fact I was not told scripting was supposed to be disabled until I told the guy at oppo-jb.com that it took a bit to rip a SACD. He said that was strange because scripting was supposed to be disabled. I told him evidently it is not totally disabled but it took several tries. I did a big write up on it in the ripping section because some were skeptical.

Well the skepticism was in the files used, not in the method. Actually in reality it was probably the firmware interfering with ripping but eventually I was successful and have actually done several SACD rips since then. I have zero idea about ripping with other models of Oppo and have never stated I do.

"Jailbreaking" your OPPO not only makes it able to play DVD's and Blu-ray discs from every region but also the ability to play .iso files stored on USB or network connected HDD's...
I jailbroke my 105 to play an Italian blu-ray of Woodstock I bought without checking. It worked, but that’s the only disc I need it for. but playing iso files is something I haven’t tried. A new project!

I jailbroke my 105 to play an Italian blu-ray of Woodstock I bought without checking. It worked, but that’s the only disc I need it for. but playing iso files is something I haven’t tried. A new project!
Blu Rays are often incorrectly labelled, either claiming to be for a specific region only on the label but not coded as such on the disc or vice versa.

Blu Rays are often incorrectly labelled, either claiming to be for a specific region only on the label but not coded as such on the disc or vice versa.
I have two blus that say they won’t play in the US. My Jeff Wayne “War of the Worlds” concert played just fine, but the Italian “Woodstock” did not until I ran the file to jailbreak my 105.

If it's any help the button sequence for my modified 205 in Oz is:

Change Blu-ray region:
  • Start player with no disc.
  • After message “No Disc”, press:
  • Region A: dimmer, dimmer, dimmer, mute 1
  • Region B: dimmer, dimmer, dimmer, mute 2
  • Region C: dimmer, dimmer, dimmer, mute 3
Restart player.

Change DVD region:
Usually set to Region 0
(as above), but:
For Region 0 up to 6: dimmer, dimmer, dimmer, pure audio, 0 to 6
Thank you, it work perfectly. Once I’m done, do I change it back the same way, Region A?

Not sure what method or firmware you used for jailbreaking (there have been several, some are no longer available), but usually .iso playback is a given, barfle, using the network function on the Oppo.
The only problem I ran into was that the Oppo players are back in SMB v1 era, as far as Windoze is concerned. It's no problem for some, but it was a pita for me trying to get the Oppo to consistently see my shared folders.
What I use is a utility (paid) to use the NSF file system to expose folders to the client (Oppo) on my LAN. Windows has some built in support for NFS, but the utility I bought uses a Daemon server to map the folders to the client and make them available.
Not an expert on this at all as this is getting more into the Unix file system stuff but anyway if your Oppo can see your shared folders then no problemo. If not then this util is cheap enough to make it worthwhile. It was recommended to me by the people I bought the jailbreak firmware from, if I had a problem with folder sharing to the Oppo with Windows.
....and the good news is, barfle, no mouse or keyboard needed in the listening room! lol. :)

Not sure what method or firmware you used for jailbreaking (there have been several, some are no longer available), but usually .iso playback is a given, barfle, using the network function on the Oppo.
The only problem I ran into was that the Oppo players are back in SMB v1 era, as far as Windoze is concerned. It's no problem for some, but it was a pita for me trying to get the Oppo to consistently see my shared folders.
What I use is a utility (paid) to use the NSF file system to expose folders to the client (Oppo) on my LAN. Windows has some built in support for NFS, but the utility I bought uses a Daemon server to map the folders to the client and make them available.
Not an expert on this at all as this is getting more into the Unix file system stuff but anyway if your Oppo can see your shared folders then no problemo. If not then this util is cheap enough to make it worthwhile. It was recommended to me by the people I bought the jailbreak firmware from, if I had a problem with folder sharing to the Oppo with Windows.
....and the good news is, barfle, no mouse or keyboard needed in the listening room! lol. :)
The jailbreak was from the Australian Oppo website. I copied a file onto a CD-RW and let the player read it. Nothing else seems to have changed so it all seems good.

Yeah, my Win10 PC doesn’t seem to share folders very well. It did a few years back, and I believe my Marantz pre-pro still does (and it can play Windows playlists). I’ve pretty much left network playback to my drovo 5N NAS, which seems to hum along pretty good, although it does take a minute or somto wake up. The secret of using the drobo id to make sure the folder with the music has a low-value ASCII character as its first character, as it gets alphabetized. So 0Music it is!

The jailbreak was from the Australian Oppo website. I copied a file onto a CD-RW and let the player read it. Nothing else seems to have changed so it all seems good.

Yeah, my Win10 PC doesn’t seem to share folders very well. It did a few years back, and I believe my Marantz pre-pro still does (and it can play Windows playlists). I’ve pretty much left network playback to my drovo 5N NAS, which seems to hum along pretty good, although it does take a minute or somto wake up. The secret of using the drobo id to make sure the folder with the music has a low-value ASCII character as its first character, as it gets alphabetized. So 0Music it is!
lol, well you lost me on that, I do admit. But I've been told by others that their NAS had few problems sharing folders/files with their Oppp's.
I do not have a NAS myself, just a pc with many TB's of music files....too many HDD's...but as I retire the old drives I replace them with larger ones. Problem is (if it's a problem!) I buy more music! lol.
I always say whatever works for you is what's good! I can only offer what works for me in hopes in might help someone else. In the end we all have the same goal.

The jailbreak from Oppo Australia site is the Oppo Super Disc, and it only makes DVD playback region free. It does not make Blu Ray playback region free, but then so many Blu Rays are either Region A or all regions you may not notice anyway.

Back