Unofficial Quadio Future Title Poll (Please Vote)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which 1970's WEA quad titles would you BUY if they were released as Quadio Discs?

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
This poll includes the WEA Quad Pop/Rock titles that have never been released as a Quadraphonic Reel to Reel, or released in the 2000's as a surround DVD-A or SACD. (regardless of the fact that it was a new or old surround mix)

Please vote for as many titles as you would really want to buy. Don't vote for them all, just the one's you're interested in. Maybe the results will help Rhino decide what the next Quadio title might be. In this case, it's titles we're interested in. If you'd buy them all because they're released, well, that doesn't count in this poll.

Comments welcome!

NOTE: I could only add 12 titles. If you are fans of the Souther, Hillman, Furay Band, David Gates, Judy Collins/Judith, Donny Hathaway, Roberta Flack/Killing Me Softly, or Spinners/Pick of the Litter and New & Improved, please note those in your response. THANKS

This is an UNOFFICIAL POLL. Some of these titles may no longer be part of the WEA catalog. This is a snapshot of original WEA Pop/Rock titles. Titles that now belong to WEA such as the Chicago and Paul Simon catalogs were not included in this poll, as they were not original WEA Quadradiscs.

I voted for both Eagles, both Joni Mitchell and both Carly Simon titles along with Zappa and the Average White Band.
My first choice would be the Eagles "One Of These Nights"...followed closely by Carly Simon's "Greatest Hits"...I'm crossing my fingers...on one hand only.:D

I pan on getting any and all of them. I Have soft spots for the Joni titles as well as the Average White Band and the Eagles but I plan on buying them all.

I too plan on getting any and all if they came out, just like the Aretha disc that I would have never bought in stereo. However, I voted for 6 of them, as I want to influence the vote to the titles I like the most.

I would buy all twelve in the poll plus the titles listed in your post, but I also limited my selections to six.

To pick one, man, thatā€™s a tuff call; all of these are great titles. But if I picked one (out of this voting list) that would sell the most and boost the Quadio program, hands down it would be The Eagles "One of These Nights." That's my demo title for those who never heard Quad as well as Average White Band, which has a killer Quadraphonic mix and the hit ā€œPick Up The Pieces!ā€

Next would be either Joni Mitchel ā€œCourt & Spark,ā€ Carly Simon's "Playing Possumā€ or ā€œGreatest Hits,ā€ Jackson Browne ā€œLate for the Sky,ā€ or Bob Dylan ā€œPlanet Waves.ā€

J. Geils Band ā€œNightmaresā€ and James Gang ā€œMiamiā€ would be some rocking out great titles as well. Frank Zappa ā€œApostropheā€ goes without saying as a must have title of note. Did I leave any out? :D Yes, of course I would buy the whole list and hope all of these titles will come out soon. Iā€™d like to see plenty of unreleased Quadraphonic titles come out as well.

Yeah, I'd buy all of them as well. Still, what I wanted to do was give John from Rhino an idea of what titles would be embraced by the forum members in some sort of priority. There was some disappointment with the Aretha title, so I figured I put this together.

My thinking in selecting those titles that had never been available in HiRez (Q4, DVD-A, SACD) was that many of us already have reels and reel conversions of those titles, since we bought them years ago. The ones that were only LP or Q8 would benefit the most from the Quadio program, as the CTA title did.

There's a lot of hoping for the unreleased Yes "Close To The Edge" if they can find it from members here. I also forgot about the WEA QQ Quad page for more idea's: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/WB.htm

Great idea for a thread and hope this helps John at Rhino.

Added: I only voted for these titles and this is in order of preference:

Average White Band
Eagles - One of These Nights
J. Geils Band - Nightmares
James Gang - Miami
Joni Mitchell - Court & Spark
Carly Simon - Greatest Hits

NOTE: I could only add 12 titles. If you are fans of the Souther, Hillman, Furay Band, David Gates, Judy Collins/Judith, Donny Hathaway, Roberta Flack/Killing Me Softly, or Spinners/Pick of the Litter and New & Improved, please note those in your response.

I'd be down with some Spinners. Not every song is a winner, but I like the ones with a good beat!

That said, I haven't heard the quad mixes of any of these so I based my votes simply on the music that I wouldn't mind buying. Not knowing what Average White Band in quad sounds like, I'd be tempted to put it as my #1 vote, FWIW, assuming it's any good. Also voted for James Gang, both Eagles, and Mitchell's "Court" and Carly's "Hits".

All fine for me, if rhino want to do a boxset i'm in line for it.
For the poll, i've voted AWB and the two Eagles titles and i'm glad to see that the AWB album has a good followers.

OQG mentioned 'soul & funk' in an Aretha Franklin Quadio thread and I immediately thought of Cosmic Slop...

Anyone know why the Dylan title is listed?

a) Because it fit
b) So "Playing Possum" wound not come in last
c) The negative cover artwork is cool
d) That's what Asylum was thinking after they released it

I like Planet Waves, it's one the albums that was made with The Band and features a nice laid-back roots rock sound. For me, standouts are "On A Night Like This", "Tough Mama", the 2nd "Forever Young (rock version), "You Angel You" and "Wedding Song". This would be a definite buy for me! :)

I'm on the buy-them-all bandwagon and voted for the 10 I'm certain are still in Warner's jurisdiction. This excludes Apostrophe and Planet Waves. Of the acquired artists with known quad masters, I'd want There Goes Rhymin Simon, Chicago III, Chicago VI, Chicago VII.

Another obvious choice (to me) is ELP WBMFTTSTNE which came to market on Q8 with at least one major flutter. This title was on the Rhino radar for new releases for about a week back in 2003 DVD-A news. Granted the mix needs work but there's a lot of top drawer talent behind these Quadio releases!

There are always the MIAs never released but that's for another day.

Back