Unofficial Quadio Future Title Poll (Please Vote)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which 1970's WEA quad titles would you BUY if they were released as Quadio Discs?

• Total voters
I voted for none of them. I'd like to see Gordon Lightfoot and Seals and Croft, which I know were available in quad. I'd buy any Paul Simon releases. I don't know if any CS&N or CSN&Y were available in quad but I'd get them also.

Like everyone else, I would love to have all of them but will abide by the rules and pick 4. The first 2 would be the 2 Eagles titles simply because they would probably spark the most interest and would produce the most profit, which is what Rhino is shooting for I'm sure.
My 3rd choice would be Average White Band simply because this is such a great quad recording and I would love to hear it all spruced up.
Finally I would choose J. Geils Band. I think this one can be the most improved because the quad 8 tapes were not very well made in my opinion. I wen't through multiple copies of this before I got a good one but even that was a little off. I still hear a slight speed fluctuation which is very slight. Maybe that's the way it was recorded, I don't know but if it is redone then I will know for sure. I'm sure that the quad master is really hot and it probably left a burn mark on the shelf where it was sitting all these years. And to hear the beginning of side 2 where it starts off in one channel mono and then explodes to quad, well that would be really something to hear in hi res.
Phil Spinner

All very interesting titles. But I miss further on a copy from the quadraphonic mastertapes of Billy Cobhams "Spectrum" with his driving drums and the exellent gitar players. One of those items, which was announced, but never realized in the 70's like also a quadraphonic Production from Peggy Lee with only a prínt of the catalog number. A DVD-Audio from Rhino/Atlantic of "Spectrum" with a new mix sounds not so spectacular as the 2 known tracks from the quadro mastertape.

Dietrich

I voted for none of them. I'd like to see Gordon Lightfoot and Seals and Croft, which I know were available in quad. I'd buy any Paul Simon releases. I don't know if any CS&N or CSN&Y were available in quad but I'd get them also.

The Gordon Lightfoots, Seals & Crofts, (and Doobie Brothers) Quad LPs were available as quad reels, so they were excluded from the 12 choices. That doesn't mean they would not be welcome! :D

a) Because it fit
b) So "Playing Possum" wound not come in last
c) The negative cover artwork is cool
d) That's what Asylum was thinking after they released it

I thought it was on Columbia and out on a SACD. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

RE: Planet Waves.

You're correct. I was released as an SACD in the Bob Dylan Box Set, however, that title was stereo, not 5.1. It probably no longer belongs to Rhino, but I included it because it was one of the original WEA Quadradiscs that was not released as a quad reel.

I say forget all of these for now. Give us some quad titles NEVER RELEASED ON ANY FORMAT.

Close To The Edge? Sgt. Peppers? Bookends? Boston? Any of these, if they do actually exist, would be infinitely superior to any of the titles in the poll.

Last edited:
If any Beatles albums were to be done, I'd put money on Abbey Road.

I honestly wouldn't bother with either of the Frank Zappa "Quads". They are basically double stereo. Very little usage of the 4 channels. Id' definitely spring for either Eagles', or the two unreleased Eagles albums.
The Best of Carly Simon? Yeah, I'd go for that. That's got pretty much all her big hits. James Gang would be pretty cool too. I wonder if the Quad Masters for James Gangs' 16 Greatest Hits is still sitting around somewhere? That got announced in a catalog once way back....

I voted for five.
At the top of my list by far was Zappa's "Apostrophe" which would be quite an interesting listen.
So much talent in that group and so much going on in that recording!

Bring them on.:smokin

Eagles titles would be my first choice followed by Average White Band, Carly Simon Greatest. The remainder I'd buy, but none of the rest are particular favorites of mine, so I'd rank them all about the same.

I was just looking at the titles in the poll above, and while the Eagles discs would probably sell the best, they would probably have the most baggage of all the titles listed, as the Eagles now have their own company, and the licensing would probably be very expensive for a reissue release.

However, the Carly Simon Greatest Hits sticks out among the rest. First off, it's a GH disc. Carly Simon seems to be "quad friendly", her "No Secrets" album was a DVD-A as we all know, and she seems to be fairly open to doing things with her catalog of songs and releases, releasing some of her old discs on her own and rerecording her standards from time to time.

It might be easy for Rhino to deal with Carly at this point.

I didn't know this.
Does this mean that they have complete control over their entire back catalog?

I really don't know, just guessing. I would GUESS they have some say over things like compilations and reissues. A quad reissue would probably have to have their OK. But then again, I don't know any more than you. I'm just guessing.

Oh, you're speculating!
I think it would be hard to tell, even though they only have had a handful of releases (actual studio records from the 70's & 80's), but you would think there would be something they're getting.

I really wish The Eagles would do their own surround releases then. Hotel California was one of the most popular DVD-A's and the two concert DVD's were about as good as it gets in surround. It kills me that they had Elliot Scheiner do Long Road Out Of Eden and never release it in surround. I wonder if he ever mixed it in 5.1? Does anyone know, or does Walmart have control on that title still?

Back