Unreleased Fleetwood Mac 5.1 mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought that demo off Ebay specifically for Monday Morning. My hope is AF can get the rights to these mixes. You'd think with Christie McVie being back with the band and a big tour ongoing that they'd want to further monetize their catalog.

Yes, someone needs to contact Mick - he'll flog anything for a quid, and he has pretty much milked the Rumours teat dry.

Yes, someone needs to contact Mick - he'll flog anything for a quid, and he has pretty much milked the Rumours teat dry.

I agree, with the caveat that Rumours hasn't "quite" been milked dry as some of us who can't afford the DVD-A would definitely buy it on HFPA, if it is still multichannel. I do have a disc with it on, but would prefer to support the artist where possible.

I agree, with the caveat that Rumours hasn't "quite" been milked dry as some of us who can't afford the DVD-A would definitely buy it on HFPA, if it is still multichannel. I do have a disc with it on, but would prefer to support the artist where possible.

The only fly in the ointment is that Buckingham would want to do the production work..and that hasn't been great in the past...

True - and Rumours is Mick's favourite for multiple re-issues so he's missing an opportunity. I must see if my log in to "The Ledge" forum still works.

I don't think the availability of a Japanese import would impact at all on domestic releases. If that's the case you can write off everything that's been released on SHM-SACD over the last few years!

I don't think the availability of a Japanese import would impact at all on domestic releases. If that's the case you can write off everything that's been released on SHM-SACD over the last few years!

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying...in this case the FM disc is "available" from domestic retailers..regardless of the origin of the disc ...if the standard distribution places offer it for sale at a favorable price(like amazon..or imporcds) it most certainly would impact the same title if it was a domestic release and competing in the same marketplace at a cheaper pricepoint...this title is a hybrid...SHM-SACD's are a premium product(within a niche category) and aren't really in direct competiton with hybrid discs

i think one more "Rumors" reissue even on BDA won't be very smart move. albeit this band does appear to huge audience,
majority of consumers of surround product already have this album on DVDA or SACD. even reissue of "Say You Will" would
make more sense, leave alone "Tusk" which been already prepared for DVDA but never saw light of the day.
the another album, which would be most successful candidate for remixing into surround from sale points is "Tango In The Night".
i think this one would be even better offer for mass market, than "Tusk".

I have to agree with Otto in most regards, but I would like all FM albums in Hi-Rez surround, and my preference is to having them all on one format, which these days appears to be best and most compatible on Blu-Ray.

I have to agree with Otto in most regards, but I would like all FM albums in Hi-Rez surround, and my preference is to having them all on one format, which these days appears to be best and most compatible on Blu-Ray.

That's up to Warner Music as to which format they will either license the album or release it themselves. We will see if one or more of the Fleetwood Mac albums appear in the future. For now, easiest to get Rumors on Multichannel SACD or DVD-A based on earlier releases.

To this day I would *kill* to get the rest of the FM catalog out in multichannel, particularly knowing that Tusk and the self-titled album were all ready for a 5.1 DVD-audio release but never were released due to the format dying :( :( .

I bought Rumours and Say You Will the day of their respective DVD-Audio releases ($12.99 each at the time :))...the former was great while the latter felt rushed (sound quality-wise) and wasn't all that engaging. I do like the songs on the latter, mind you, particularly Lindsey's contributions, but Christine is definitely missed. But again, the 5.1 mix is just OK on that one...

Anyway, AF or someone...get the rights to these from Warners and release 'em...Sara in 5.1 would alone be worth the price of admission!!

BTW, I just listened to the pre-Buckingham/Nicks "Bare Trees" again this morning on the way to work...also a GREAT album that would *kill* in 5.1. Love to hear "Sunny Side of Heaven" and "Dust" particularly in this format...wish the second song was a little longer, though ;) .

Jon

Bare Trees..Mystery To Me..Tusk...man..what a dream it would be to have in 5.1. BUT..the one i still want the most is Buckingham Nicks...how freakin KILLER would Crying In The Night be in multichnl.....

A post about 5.1 releases over at The Ledge has resulted in absolutely zero response from the FM community.

That may be cause for disappointment, maybe even mild consternation, to surround folks like us.. and it is unfortunate that Fleetwood Mac fans there are seemingly apathetic towards surround mixes by their favourite band... but there are, it could be said, some artists that are so popular their sales are rather more enhanced by the kind of more dedicated (hardcore even) followers that frequent fan sites and their real bread and butter is in the masses that don't live and breathe those artists (Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Stones.. Fleetwood Mac I would suggest are on a similar level, or approaching that ilk anyway) and are only part of the equation.. there are tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands (millions even in some cases) with slightly more than a passing interest but certainly not fans that go on such sites who buy surround/Hi-Res releases by these big name acts too and that sustains these surround/Hi-res releases of those bands' work.

I can bear that out to some extent, on a more personal note, I have quite a few friends who have bought things like The Beatles' Love DVD-A set, the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds CD+DVD set, the Elton John/Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon, Steely Dan/Gaucho, Marvin Gaye Collection & Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms Hybrid Surround SACDs, the Queen/A Night At The Opera CD+DVD set, etc..,who have never played the Surround or Hi-Res Stereo on them, never intended to play the surround or Hi-Res when they bought them and could never be considered completist or big fans of any of those artists (nor would they say they're "audiophiles"!) they picked them up because they were the currently available version, or it looked like it might be a decent value for money package with extras they may just get around to one day, or just because they're big albums by big acts and they went for that "premium looking version" or for any number of reasons.

Also, on a related tangent but kinda conversely (I don't know any but..) there must surely be big fans of artists like Yes, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, XTC, Steven Wilson who aren't bothered about Hi-Res and/or surround, who have bought the same DVD-A/V and BD-A sets us surround/Hi-res enthusiasts have just because they are big fans and/or want the other added content or have to own everything they've ever done, etc. They could sustain sales of these releases if sales to Hi-Res/surround folk are more limited.. I guess the point I'm making is, actually, no matter how huge an act is if a new release or reissue has sufficiently covered enough bases that it looks attractive to fans, audiophiles, surround enthusiasts and casual buyers alike it'll keep these things coming for the foreseeable.

Its things like Universal's bare-bones HFPA Blu-ray releases I'm more bothered about, their appeal must be more limited, they just don't have the breadth and variety of content to bring in the sales, all imho.! :)

Back