Unreleased quad mix of Stanley Clarke's 'School Days' per producer Ken Scott's book

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

van1

Not sure where the best place is to mention unreleased quad mixes but i'm just reading Ken Scott's 'Abbey Road to Ziggy Stardust' book and he mentions mixing a Stanley Clarke album featuring Billy Cobham in quad before the record company then asked for a stereo fold down. Not sure how widely known this is but i'd love D-V to try and get this released.

Is there a list anywhere that was made to capture unreleased quad mixes? Wasn't the Billy Cobham Spectrum album unreleased prior to the sacd?

And here's a commnet from Mr Scott himself on the stevehoffmanforum

"Just as a point, it doesn't have to be stereo folded down to mono.

When we recorded the Stanley Clarke album "Schooldays" we did everything specifically for quad (it was "in" at the time) , including the mix. The label loved the idea of a quad version only. Then of course, the day we were due to master, Atlantic changed their minds and told us they wanted to put out a stereo version instead. Our only option was a fold down and that's the way it's remained to this day.

Cheers"

ericc2000 said:

On man, is the quad master still around?​

It should be. But then there are a lot of tapes that "should be" around that have been destroyed to save space. Or just lost.

Cheers

Not sure where the best place is to mention unreleased quad mixes but i'm just reading Ken Scott's 'Abbey Road to Ziggy Stardust' book and he mentions mixing a Stanley Clarke album featuring Billy Cobham in quad before the record company then asked for a stereo fold down. Not sure how widely known this is but i'd love D-V to try and get this released.

Is there a list anywhere that was made to capture unreleased quad mixes? Wasn't the Billy Cobham Spectrum album unreleased prior to the sacd?

And here's a commnet from Mr Scott himself on the stevehoffmanforum

"Just as a point, it doesn't have to be stereo folded down to mono.

When we recorded the Stanley Clarke album "Schooldays" we did everything specifically for quad (it was "in" at the time) , including the mix. The label loved the idea of a quad version only. Then of course, the day we were due to master, Atlantic changed their minds and told us they wanted to put out a stereo version instead. Our only option was a fold down and that's the way it's remained to this day.

Cheers"
ericc2000 said:
On man, is the quad master still around?​

It should be. But then there are a lot of tapes that "should be" around that have been destroyed to save space. Or just lost.​
Cheers​
Van, here's D~V's website........ Email and other contact info is contained within the website:https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/blog/

Would love to hear Stanley Clarke's School Days in QUAD. Love that man.

How cool would it be if the gem of the AF SACDs was the unreleased "Spectrum", and then D-V did the unreleased "School Days"?

You know, now that you have me thinking about it... Spectrum might be the most played of all my AF SACDs. Such a great album! It would be so wonderful if DV would release more of the "heavier" vs "lighter" jazz albums. My most played DV is Alice Coltrane's Illuminations. It's a joy! There's at least one more quad Mahavishnu out there and there's so many more potential riches for DV to mine!

"The label loved the idea of a quad version only. Then of course, the day we were due to master, Atlantic changed their minds and told us they wanted to put out a stereo version instead "

School Days afaik was never on Atlantic. It was Nemperor‎, ‎Epic Records, which is now Sony Music iirc.

"The label loved the idea of a quad version only. Then of course, the day we were due to master, Atlantic changed their minds and told us they wanted to put out a stereo version instead "

School Days afaik was never on Atlantic. It was Nemperor‎, ‎Epic Records, which is now Sony Music iirc.

KS made that quote over on the SHforum, and I'd just put that down to a bit of confusion. I think KS is still talking about school days even if he's got the label wrong, not sure if Stanley Clarke and billy Cobham played on anything else?

KS's book is more anecdotal on things he remembers from many years ago which I think is much more honest and believable compared to Geoff Emerick's bio where he seems to have a photographic memory / poetic licence from his co-(ghost) writer

I'll copy the relevant section from his book tonight.

Correct. SONY owns the title which, IMO, would facilitate the QUAD release of School Days if [1] D~V has an interest in licensing this title and [2] if the artists and label agree and most importantly [3] if the QUAD masters can be located and are in usable condition.

Billy Cobham Spectrum was on Atlantic. That's probably where the confusion came in, though hopefully he wasn't confused about which album it was and that story was actually about Spectrum.

You know, now that you have me thinking about it... Spectrum might be the most played of all my AF SACDs. Such a great album! It would be so wonderful if DV would release more of the "heavier" vs "lighter" jazz albums. My most played DV is Alice Coltrane's Illuminations. It's a joy! There's at least one more quad Mahavishnu out there and there's so many more potential riches for DV to mine!

I'd happily buy this it somehow made it out on SACD! I've become something of a jazz fusion fan thanks to some great quad reissue discs, such as RTF's MusicMagic, Mahavishnu Orchestra's Birds Of Fire, Herbie Hancock's Head Hunters, and Weather Report's Mysterious Traveller. Unfortunately I did not spring for Spectrum and I seriously regret it now :(

I agree there are definitely some other great jazz fusion quads D-V could release, such as Mahavishnu's Between Nothingness & Eternity (or the rumored unreleased mix of Apocalypse, if it exists), McLaughlin/Santana's Love Devotion Surrender, Weather Report's Tale Spinnin', and Herbie Hancock's Sextant.

not going to take too much of this copyrighted book from 2012 but here are a few pieces. there are references to Atlantic, but the comments are in the stanley clarke section. Anyone friends with Stanley Clarke or Ken Scott on facebook / twitter?

ch 23 All that jazz again

we mix in quad [section on School days and stanley clarke]

'...i had a talk with Stan and we approached Atlantic with a proposition. "Let us record this album specifically for quad,"...as a result the entire recording was done with quad in mind. As an example on the song with stan and bill, ...it was very easy to pan (the drums) all around the four speakers. whenever he did one of his massive fills it went all the way around your head and sounded amazing...

...we were just about to start (mastering) when i received a call from an executive at Atlantic, "Ken, we've been talking and we think we'd prefer to go with the stereo first. we'll come out with the quad version later.

the quad mix never did come out, which is such a shame because its so easy for them to do, since its all mixed and ready to go. with the surround sound capabilities that we have today...Atlantic has a ready to go product on their hands that they're not even aware of, unfortunately, thanks to all the changes in personnel over the years'.

There is then a comment from Ed Thacker reiterating the info.

Last edited:
Back