Unreleased quad mix of Stanley Clarke's 'School Days' per producer Ken Scott's book

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not going to take too much of this copyrighted book from 2012 but here are a few pieces. there are references to Atlantic, but the comments are in the stanley clarke section. Anyone friends with Stanley Clarke or Ken Scott on facebook / twitter?

ch 23 All that jazz again

we mix in quad [section on School days and stanley clarke]

'...i had a talk with Stan and we approached Atlantic with a proposition. "Let us record this album specifically for quad,"...as a result the entire recording was done with quad in mind. As an example on the song with stan and bill, ...it was very easy to pan (the drums) all around the four speakers. whenever he did one of his massive fills it went all the way around your head and sounded amazing...

...we were just about to start (mastering) when i received a call from an executive at Atlantic, "Ken, we've been talking and we think we'd prefer to go with the stereo first. we'll come out with the quad version later.

the quad mix never did come out, which is such a shame because its so easy for them to do, since its all mixed and ready to go. with the surround sound capabilities that we have today...Atlantic has a ready to go product on their hands that they're not even aware of, unfortunately, thanks to all the changes in personnel over the years'.

There is then a comment from Ed Thacker reiterating the info.
Ken Scott was correct. Atlantic was the distributor of Nemperor for a short couple of years including the original issue of School Days.

https://www.discogs.com/Stanley-Clarke-School-Days/master/61599

My apologizes for the mix up.

While on Stanley Clarke....Was "If Only This Bass Could Talk" ever released in Quad? One of my faves.
I "upmixed" both of these some years ago from my CD rips. Got to find the right storage HDD and give a listen again.
Thinking about it....maybe IOTBCT might have been too late for quad?

Hopefully D-V is pulling out all the stops for the unreleased quad of Stanley Clarke's School Days.

They play their cards pretty close to their chest to not raise expectations but it would be nice if they acknowledged looking into this...

Hopefully D-V is pulling out all the stops for the unreleased quad of Stanley Clarke's School Days.

They play their cards pretty close to their chest to not raise expectations but it would be nice if they acknowledged looking into this...
Oddly written post- they certainly can't acknowledge what is simply not true. Unless you happen to know it is true? You are hopefully spinning good possible fiction fruit that come to fruition because the tapes could be in great condition.

Oddly written post- they certainly can't acknowledge what is simply not true. Unless you happen to know it is true? You are hopefully spinning good possible fiction fruit that come to fruition because the tapes could be in great condition.

I quoted Ken Scott's autobiography and posts he made directly on the Steve Hoffman forum, I didn't exactly make it up...

Hopefully D-V are making enquiries with the record label and Mr Scott or Mr Clarke to see if their is a 'possibility' to release this, and I do understand how complex the process is and what may have been 'true' in 1976 does not necessarily mean its still 'true' over 40 years later - can the masters be found, are they still in good shape etc

An unreleased Stanley Clarke quad mix would be HUGE for me. The fact that Return To Forever's musicmagic was released may help grease the wheels.

Last edited:
"The label loved the idea of a quad version only. Then of course, the day we were due to master, Atlantic changed their minds and told us they wanted to put out a stereo version instead "

School Days afaik was never on Atlantic. It was Nemperor‎, ‎Epic Records, which is now Sony Music iirc.
School Days was on Nemperor for sure, however, at the time Nemperor was distributed by Atlantic. It later changed to distribution by CBS/Epic.

http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadnot.htm

Yes Mark great list
Billy Cobham's Spectrum did in the end get a Original Quad release on SACD Multi Channel in 2016 (Made in the old Sony Factory in Austria)
by that great Company Audio Fidelity USA , who sadly closed down last year.
I would Love to see Crash Landing 1975 Jimi Hendrix on a SACD Multi Channel. (Sony have the rights now) I know it was done after Jimi died in 1970.
But Alan Douglas had loads of Hendrix tapes, and used a new early music computer.
he added a 2nd backing session guitarist as well. And if Stanley Clarke School Days came out on a multi channel SACD it would be Fantastic.
To hear Gerry Brown and David Sancious and Ray Gomez backing Stanley as well as
the one track with Billy Cobham.

I for one would like a release of Crash Landing if it was ever mixed to Quad. My 1st Hendrix album at the time and love the power of the mix

Back