DVD/DTS Poll Uphollow - Jackets For The Trip [DTS/DD DVD+CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Uphollow - JACKETS FOR THE TRIP

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2005 release called "Jackets for the Trip" by Uphollow.
The CD/DVD release of the album (with DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound) can be purchased here: Jackets For The Trip, by Uphollow

a3319304767_10.jpg

A VERY pleasant surprise and to make the pot even sweeter, I was also sent two 'freebie' RBCDs featuring UPHOLLOW, one in an orgami packet entitled Eolian [2010] and another UPHOLLOW RBCD from 2002 entitled 10 Fingers.

For US $14, delivered, I highly recommend you check out UPHOLLOW. Splendid group and a wonderful discrete DTS 5.1 CD!

According to their website, which rtbluray has provided, there are ONLY 3 remaining copies [limited edition of 1000 copies]

I VOTED a 9!

Last edited:
A VERY pleasant surprise and to make the pot even sweeter, I was also sent two 'freebie' RBCDs featuring UPHOLLOW, one in an orgami packet entitled Eolian [2010] and another UPHOLLOW RBCD from 2002 entitled 10 Fingers.

For US $14, delivered, I highly recommend you check out UPHOLLOW. Splendid group and a wonderful discrete DTS 5.1 CD!

According to their website, which rtbluray has provided, there are ONLY 3 remaining copies [limited edition of 1000 copies]

I VOTED a 9!

ONLY 2 remaining copies left. Who will be the LUCKY TWO?

Last edited:
I received an e-mail from Ian Cooke regarding my Uphollow order.
He said "Uphollow became Ian Cooke Band right after Jackets and we have three other 5.1 releases."
Antiquasauria, by Ian Cooke
The Flight I Flew, by Ian Cooke
The Fall I Fell, by Ian Cooke

Edit: e-mail I received is from Ian O, not Ian Cooke. Antiquasauria is only available on disc, the other two I listed are in 5.1 flac downloads.

All three Ian Cooke releases are highly, highly recommended!

I too received one of the remaining copies of the Uphollow release and, though I only have listened once, I was equally as impressed with this one. The mix is very active but perfectly suited to the music. The suite of three songs in the middle of the album are highlights but the whole album is strong, both in terms of music and mix. If you like indie rock (think Built to Spill as a reference, though the vocals are different), then you’ll very likely dig this. Another winner from Ian O. et al!!

Nice album. I almost like this one better than any of the Ian Cooke albums--better than Antiquasauria and The Flight I Flew, anyway. Not that I've got anything against chamber-pop, per se, but compared to those two, the sensibility here is a little rawer and goofier, less studied and precious. Shades of Decemberists, Freddie Mercury, even Jonathan Richman on a couple of tracks. And another great mix from Ian O (I assume). [Edit: I see the 5.1 mix is actually credited to Robert Ferbrache.]

Last edited:
Odd that you posted this today as Bob Ferbrache emailed me out of the blue today.
We recorded and mixed this in stereo and then later brought the tracks to Bob for a 5.1 mix. We re-tracked vocals on This First and Wine & Honesty on Bob's fancy mics. We worked only very late at night and it seemed like it took a really long time. Haha.
Your perceptions are correct. Certainly more raw as this was 2002-2004. More diverse as it was three songwriters.
Monster, Kudos, Wine & Honesty, and Sleeping Bag are the very first songs Cooke wrote. We liked them so much we persuaded him to make his own album, and this became the last Uphollow album.

Back