Uriah Heep - Gold From the Byron Era Surround Disc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIDIQ

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Hi, just wanted to let you guys know about the Uriah Heep - Gold From the Byron Era DVD-A {I have been waiting for someone to post something on this DVD-A for quite a while now}. So i couldn't wait any longer, and bought it. I got it about a week ago, and have listened to it 4 times and it is great. The surround mix sounds very much like an old QUAD mix, which is great IMO. Very discrete. I was worried when i read that the mixes weren't the origonal ones but alternate takes and completely new versions of classic songs, but to me they sounded very close to the origonal versions.
I don't have a DVD-A player so i play it in DTS, and sounds great, but the Dolby Digital 5.1 mix is messed up, starting the second song, the rear speakers are out of sync with the front ??? I have 2 decoders and DVD players and it was the same on both. But not a problem for me, but if you can only play Dolby Digital 5.1 you may have a problem. I would imagine the DVD-A track is good, but i can't say.
Anyway, if you like Uriah Heep, this is excellent !!! :)

MIDIQ said:
Hi, just wanted to let you guys know about the Uriah Heep - Gold From the Byron Era DVD-A {I have been waiting for someone to post something on this DVD-A for quite a while now}. So i couldn't wait any longer, and bought it. I got it about a week ago, and have listened to it 4 times and it is great. The surround mix sounds very much like an old QUAD mix, which is great IMO. Very discrete. I was worried when i read that the mixes weren't the origonal ones but alternate takes and completely new versions of classic songs, but to me they sounded very close to the origonal versions.
I don't have a DVD-A player so i play it in DTS, and sounds great, but the Dolby Digital 5.1 mix is messed up, starting the second song, the rear speakers are out of sync with the front ??? I have 2 decoders and DVD players and it was the same on both. But not a problem for me, but if you can only play Dolby Digital 5.1 you may have a problem. I would imagine the DVD-A track is good, but i can't say.
Anyway, if you like Uriah Heep, this is excellent !!! :)

hi

the best band in the land, i was going to buy this DVD-A but since i've been burn before with some of the others releases, i tought i just wait for somebody to say something about it, so i will order the DVD-A and since i have the player i can post my findings, thanks alot i love U.H. thanks Gerardo

Is this an import? It is the Silverline Live from the Front Row series? Are these studio versions? Where did you buy this? Help, please.

terry said:
Is this an import? It is the Silverline Live from the Front Row series? Are these studio versions? Where did you buy this? Help, please.

hi Terry

i think it is from the U.K. check at www.classicrockproductions.com here they have it, they also have a DVD of Uriah Heep call "classic Heep live from the Byron Era" it has DTS but the surround mix sucks, but the Video is real good. thanks Gerardo

terry said:

I think this is an import, not sure, certianly is hard to find. I got mine from Acoustic sounds, online, for 23.98, plus shipping. I saw one go for 28.00 plus shipping from UK on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. This is definately NOT Silverline !!! Hope that helps. :)

I also want to mention that i felt the lead vocal on the DTS tracks was a little loud, so i turned the center channel down just 2 DB and it sounded better, to me anyway. :)

Well, I ordered the Uriah Heep DVD-A. I ordered it from England. I figured that the newer Uriah Heep would get the DVD-A treatment, but I never imagined that the older stuff would appear. There's some good songs on that one. I hope they do Demons and Wizards and Magician's Birthday. These two were Uriah Heep's finest cuts. I will look forward to this disc.

The Quadfather

First off this is not a true Hi Res DVD-A disc although it plays in DD (5.1 & stereo) and dts 5.1. Even though it's not DVD-A it sounds very good and I was has a very nice 5.1 mix.

As mentioned earlier the DD 5.1 mix becomes a muddy mess, there is a bad delay between the front and rear speakers and it accelerates to the point where it's unlistenable by the final track. Plus I found the lead vocal track got lost in the mess of the mix. The DD stereo track sounds fine, and as a matter of fact seems to have the best EQ overall. I didn't think the dts track had as balanced EQ as the DD stereo mix, but was preferred because of the 5.1 mix which is why I bought this in the first place.

The 5.1 mix is a good active mix that reminded my of an old quad mix of this music's era. The 5.1 mix features discrete sound and in some cases things move around the soundstage for good effect and perfect for this type of music. There did seem to be a few problems with the tape speed, especially in the track "Look At Yourself" but it's minor and corrected quickly.

The overall the sonic quality is very good considering the age of this project.

I must state that I like Heep, but was unfamiliar with about half of these songs although I'm getting a education here with the 70 min. worth on the disc. I'm mainly familiar with the original greatest hits material and some later tracks. Finally, let me state that these versions are in most cases very close to the original versions, so don't be put off by the statement about "previously unreleased versions". I passed on this when I first saw it, because I thought I'd be disappointed after reading here that it's for real, I'm very pleased with my purchase. Even though I wish this set was a true 5.1 version of their greatest hits unlike the Silverline set which I passed on, I'm really enjoying this set and recommend it anyone that likes The Heep and can only hope that this is just the beginning.

Back