USB Copy from NAS drive

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
So, it finally occured to me that within my Synology Diskstation software, they have a program called USB Copy. I decided to give it a try. Basically, I took an external 10TB drive, attached it to the front of my DS918 NAS via USB and then opened up USB Copy program. It immediately found the 10TB drive, but said I needed to format it. Hmmm. OK. Enter instant NOOB mode...

My choices are: EXT4 and FAT32. For whatever reason, I chose FAT32. Boom, error message. It says I can't format to FAT32 because the drive is larger than 2TB. OK, whatever. So, I cautiously choose EXT4 and hit format. Done.

Then, I go to next step, which has a few choices (can't remember what they all are at this point), but I choose MIRROR. I mean, don't I want an exact copy? Anyway, I chose that and hit RUN. It ran all day yesterday, and a bit into the night. Today, it was finished, no errors and for sure, it appears I do have an exact duplicate of all my music files on this 10TB drive.

If I'm understanding how it works, the next time I chose to run USB Copy, it will only edit/add files that have changed and or been added since last run.

Does this sound about right?

Youll have to try it and see, It may prompt you about overwriting. You dont want to copy it all again if its a backup. I have that same function on my QNAP. Its pretty fast with all the higher speed USB drives. I find it easier to use a free microsoft utility called synctoy.

Back