USB Storage Media for use in current Acura models...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwckauman

I have some questions about using USB storage in the latest models of the Acura TLX/RDX/MDX. My new 2023 TLX Advance has a couple USB-A ports. I think one is purely for charging and the other is for Android Auto/Apple Car Play, and USB media.
1. Does anyone know if matters if I use USB media that uses USB 3.2, 3.1, 3.0 or 2.0? My understanding is 3.2 requires USB-C. so that is out, but 3.1 is the fastest/newest of the type A connectors, so would that translate to faster load/access times in my Acura?
2. Is there any benefit to using traditional flash drives (also called 'thumb drives') versus an external SSD that uses USB-A connectors?
3. is there any benefit to faster read speeds? For example, this SanDisk Extreme Pro Portable has a max read speed of 2Gb/sec. while the SanDisk Extreme Portable has a max read speed of 1GB/sec. In terms of being able to view the music library (with large number of files/folders)? and switch from one track to another?
4. is there any detriment caused by using higher storage capacities? for example, would there be any lag caused by filling up a 4TB USB drive? versus four individual 1TB drives? if so, is there a sweet spot between capacity and storage amount?

In short, i want to get the best in terms of fastest access speeds, and highest capacity, but dont want to waste money either on higher end rates/capacities that dont matter or yield any benefits (or even are to my detriment). In addition, I have no idea how much storage i'm going to need to convert all of my physical media to digital. I've been a CD/DVD-Audio user forever and with my new car and finally having to move on. I'm going to need to local (in-house) storage for all this as well as what I copy to USB media, so any tips on that as well would be appreciated.

Back