Using Reaper Batch with more than 8 channels

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeerround

Staff member
QQ Supporter
OK I remembered the "magic". Simple but non-intuitive.

In the Batch File/Item Converter Dialog, in output channels, ignore the drop down choices (which yes don't go beyond 8) and just type in the number you want. So 12 for 7.1.4.

1602189509015.png

I guess you can see my settings for Penteo16pro upmix as well (Although I like SpecWeb better ;):SB).

To play back the resulting 12ch wav file (either in foobar 2000 with a 12ch audio interface, or with the windows spatial audio player, you'll need to map the channel header in the wav file. I wrote this script (You'll need to adjust the paths):

@echo off​
Setlocal enabledelayedexpansion​
rem echo "you passed: %*"​
for %%x in (%*) do (​
rem echo ">%%x<"​
echo "%%~dpx"​
cd /d "%%~dpx"​
"D:\Google Drive\12ch-mono-split\ffmpeg.exe" -y -i %%x -acodec pcm_s24le -af "pan=7.1+TFL+TFR+TBL+TBR|FL=c0|FR=c1|FC=c2|LFE=c3|SL=c4|SR=c5|BL=c6|BR=c7|TFL=c8|TFR=c9|TBL=c10|TBR=c11" "%%~nx_12ch_mapped.wav"​
)​
pause​

and there is the messy detail of weather the sides or backs should come first in the file. The above works in my setup (with further mapping in foobar2000).
If you are going to encode with a DTS:X encoder, you'll need to split into 12 mono channel files, and it's convenient to change the file names so dragging just one into the encoder will make the rest populate automagicly.

For that I wrote this:

@echo off​
Setlocal enabledelayedexpansion​
for %%x in (%*) do (​
echo "%%~dpx"​
cd /d "%%~dpx"​
rem sox best quality sample rate conversion​
"D:\Glenn\Downloads\sox-14.4.2-win32\sox-14.4.2\sox.exe" -G -S %%x -e floating-point "%%~nx_48KHz.wav" rate -v -L -s 48000​
rem add back channel map​
echo "input file: .\%%~nx_48KHz.wav"​
"D:\Google Drive\12ch-mono-split\ffmpeg.exe" -y -i "%%~nx_48KHz.wav" -acodec pcm_s24le -ar 48000 -af "pan=7.1+TFL+TFR+TBL+TBR|FL=c0|FR=c1|FC=c2|LFE=c3|BL=c6|BR=c7|SL=c4|SR=c5|TFL=c8|TFR=c9|TBL=c10|TBR=c11" "%%~nx_out_chm.wav"​
rem split into monos​
"%APPDATA%\AudioMuxer\Eac3to\eac3to.exe" "%%~nx_out_chm.wav" "%%~nx.wavs"​
echo "From 7.1.4 12ch mapped"​
echo "BL and BR to Lsr Rsr"​
echo "SL and SR to Lss Rss"​
echo "TL TR TBL TBR to Lfh Rfh Lrh Rrh"​
Ren "%%~nx.BL.wav" "%%~nx.Lsr.wav"​
Ren "%%~nx.BR.wav" "%%~nx.Rsr.wav"​
Ren "%%~nx.SL.wav" "%%~nx.Lss.wav"​
Ren "%%~nx.SR.wav" "%%~nx.Rss.wav"​
Ren "%%~nx.TL.wav" "%%~nx.Lfh.wav"​
Ren "%%~nx.TR.wav" "%%~nx.Rfh.wav"​
Ren "%%~nx.TBL.wav" "%%~nx.Lrh.wav"​
Ren "%%~nx.TBR.wav" "%%~nx.Rrh.wav"​
)​
pause​

which also handles the re-sampling to 48KHz (the max supported by the DTS:X encoder for 7.1.4).

AudioMuxer can also do the above.

I did a couple of Penteo 7.1.4 upmixes today (Aja and Crime of the Century, I’m very familiar with two albums and previous upmixes to quad sound awesome). Not listened yet.

Thanks to your tips Glenn I’ve made 12 channel WAVs with channel mappings fixed, so ready to go.

I plan to take a listen on my 7.1.4 system late today (more bathroom reno work comes first).

Back