Utopia ever in surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes please, any Utopia or Todd in Surround!!!!!!!
I would love to hear some of that. Especially Something/Anything, A Wizard A True Star or Todd. And especially Utopia. His music seems made for it and you would think a studio wizard like Todd would embrace it. Unfortunately I think only one or two of his later releases are in surround.

I had the opportunity to meet Todd and spend a few minutes with him many years ago just after the LIARS surround disc was released. I thanked him for doing and mixing that release and he told me he wanted to do a 5.1 for Something/Anything but that he couldn't locate the multi-tracks for "It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference". I suggested he release it anyway with just a fake surround on that one track! Not sure if he ever located the missing multi but with the upmix technology now..."it shouldn't make any difference".

I just found a sealed Dual Disc (CD/DVD 5.1) version of Liars that I paid $25.00 for from eBay. You can get a few copies of the DVD-A version still from $29-40 if anyone is interested.
I recommend the dual disc over the DVD-A in this case. The DVD-A of Liars is really lacking in low-end. The dual disc was released afterward and corrects that a bit, though it sacrifices a little high-end sparkle. Great mix though.

I would love to hear some of that. Especially Something/Anything, A Wizard A True Star or Todd. And especially Utopia. His music seems made for it and you would think a studio wizard like Todd would embrace it. Unfortunately I think only one or two of his later releases are in surround.
There is a leaked DTS 5.1 of Something Anything that was sourced from Rhino as a test master back in the day and it sounds glorious.

Todd did release one album (Liars) in surround so I doubt that he is against such releases. Todd & Utopia are certainly very high up on my surround wishlist. Some albums like A Wizard A True Star are screaming for a surround mix. He did lose a lot of stuff in a fire at a storage facility in the mid 80's. Some people have speculated that some master tapes may have been destroyed then, but I don't think that has ever been confirmed. Even if that is the case, there are several of his later albums that I would love to hear in surround. Nearly Human, 2nd Wind and The Individualist would all be excellent 5.1 candidates.
Nearly Human is a desert island disc IMHO

Back