Van Der Graaf Generator - 5.1 mixes coming in 2021. It's happening!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My box has just shipped from Burning Shed :SB
So has mine, but I bet I won't be in when it arrives but I will be an hour later!..... FedEx say they want a signature to deliver, and I haven't found a leave in the porch option (may be one if I download another App to my phone, but which won't ever work properly like 80% of the other Apps on the thing!)

Does anyone know whether the DVD is MLP DVD~A 5.1 or DTS/DD 5.1. ImportCD has the individual sets for $26.99 each showing a release date of 9/10

Hurrah!! Mine have arrived!!!

VdGG.jpg

So, after listening to my new Marillon - Fugazi (really impressed with it) twice, I wanted to get into the Van Der Graaf Generator also delivered today, I ordered the individual CD/DVD bundle from Burning Shed and have decided to listen to the 4 albums in chronological order, so I put H To He Who Am The Only One, chose DTS from the menu, I'm not familiar with this album, I think I've only listened to it twice before (the same with (Pawn Hearts). Godbluff & Still Life I'm very familiar with having owned them from their release. I can report that the fidelity and surround mix are extremely good as I suspected they would be, knowing who it was mixed by. I'm really looking forward to listening to the next 3 albums, but that will have to wait 'till tomorrow, happy listening to everyone who has ordered these.

I've listened to all 4 surround mixes on the blurays, and I really enjoyed them. I admit I couldn't play anything loud as my wife was working at home, and I'm off work sick so I wasn't taking it all in! The fidelity of them is excellent and the surround mixes I would say are subtle and appropriate, without being gimmicky. And the music is timeless, original and amazing. Hopefully I'll get a chance for another few listens over the next couple of days.

The box is a thing of beauty. Very sturdy and heavy and well put together. The book included is such good quality, thick pages and loads to look at and read. There doesn't seem to have been any skimping in making this set, and the price they are charging for it is such good value compared with sets like All Things Must Pass and Let It Be. Excellent stuff.

I've listened to all 4 surround mixes on the blurays, and I really enjoyed them. I admit I couldn't play anything loud as my wife was working at home, and I'm off work sick so I wasn't taking it all in! The fidelity of them is excellent and the surround mixes I would say are subtle and appropriate, without being gimmicky. And the music is timeless, original and amazing. Hopefully I'll get a chance for another few listens over the next couple of days.

The box is a thing of beauty. Very sturdy and heavy and well put together. The book included is such good quality, thick pages and loads to look at and read. There doesn't seem to have been any skimping in making this set, and the price they are charging for it is such good value compared with sets like All Things Must Pass and Let It Be. Excellent stuff.

I wasn't going to spring for the massive box set but paying $90 for the individual 2CD/DVD sets in LOSSY audio seems a waste! ImportCD has the set for about $176!

https://www.importcds.com/charisma-years-boxset-includes-17-cds-and-3-dvds/602435234540

Last edited:
At the very least, since the BD~A contained in the massive boxset of VDGG's The Charisma Years was lossless, why couldn't they include LOSSLESS LPCM 5.1 on the individual 2CD/DVD releases?
While technically in-spec for DVD-V, 6 channels of uncompressed LPCM audio—even at 16-bit/48kHz resolution—take up a lot of space. I've also never, ever seen a DVD-V that actually had LPCM 5.1 on it.

While technically in-spec for DVD-V, 6 channels of uncompressed LPCM audio—even at 16-bit/48kHz resolution—take up a lot of space. I've also never, ever seen a DVD-V that actually had LPCM 5.1 on it.
Does LPCM sometimes appear on DVD-As? I seem to recall ripping the LPCM layer from something. Maybe they were Blu-rays?

Back