Van Der Graaf Generator - 5.1 mixes coming in 2021. It's happening!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I may be the only dissenter. I have given Pawn Hearts three tries, and it has yet to grow on me. It just never seems to get going anywhere. I listened to it again just now, and for a change up I played it in QS synthesizer mode. Nope, probably no need for me to spin it again. I guess my point is, we won't always agree on every band, even if we universally like the music of other groups. For those unfamiliar with VDGG, you should listen to it before you buy.

Well, I may be the only dissenter. I have given Pawn Hearts three tries, and it has yet to grow on me. It just never seems to get going anywhere. I listened to it again just now, and for a change up I played it in QS synthesizer mode. Nope, probably no need for me to spin it again. I guess my point is, we won't always agree on every band, even if we universally like the music of other groups. For those unfamiliar with VDGG, you should listen to it before you buy.
VDGG is and has always been an acquired taste. I have very few friends that are fans.

That is just silly. "Killer" is a total earworm.

On a black day in a black month at the black bottom of the sea
Your mother gave birth to you and died immediately...
'Cos you can't have two killers living in the same pad
And when your mother knew that her time had come
She was really rather glad.

Once that gets in your head, it just doesn't go away. But when I sing it to myself before I go to sleep it gets condensed to "You know when your mother died giving birth to you, she was really rather glad. Because you can't have two killers living in the same sea"

😁
I have very vivid memories of the reunion show in 2005....seeing Roy Harper dancing in the aisle when they played Killer during the encore.

Word is that it may be a July release? If so pre-orders ought to be happening very soon I would think.

I haven't been informed - the info in The Wire is the most up to date info I have seen yet!
I believe The Wire magazine latest issue says this:

With a new box set of all Van der Graaf Generator's albums being readied for release in July

So any official announcement can't be too far away surely!

I have very vivid memories of the reunion show in 2005....seeing Roy Harper dancing in the aisle when they played Killer during the encore.
Excellent... seeing Roy dancing in the aisle would have been worth double the price of admission for me!

Every time (apart from once at Uni) I've seen Roy Harper he has been 'not quite on the planet' so to speak (mind you first time I saw him in '75 neither was I or 90% of the audience). His original Uni gig had to be cancelled due to a serious illness (allegedly giving a sheep the kiss of life on his farm!), when he did the gig some months later, he came on stage and got a 'chorus' of Baa, Baa..... he stormed off, and was persuaded to come back, he was not amused! did a good gig though!

This is from The Wire magazine article:

Over the last year, VdGG have been working with veteran recording engineer Stephen Tayler, known for his work with Peter Gabriel and his longstanding collaboration with Kate Bush. Tayler started his career in the mid-1970s at Trident Studios, then noted for its state-of-the-art technology and multitracking capabilities… Tayler brought the spirit of the early Trident years to the remixes, opening up space in the recordings and bringing previously hidden elements to the fore. “He’s done mixes of all the old albums in surround sound, like a Dolby Cinema Sound, and I was the only only of the three of us with that kind of set-up at home on TV,” says Banton. “With ‘A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers’ in particular, he’s gone to town and things come from behind you, and so on.” Evans fills in some of the details of these extraordinary recordings. “I’m normally pretty underwhelmed by the task of vetting masters of old albums, even though I’m very fond of them,” he says. “I just don’t like spending lots of time mentally in the past. But the moment I heard one of these mixes, it was a revelation, because particularly the drums, I was really, Oh! That’s the kit like it should have been! I can hear this cymbal, it’s all balanced. I hadn’t heard that since 1975, and I don’t know how he’s done it. And it wasn’t just the drums, there were parts that I’d forgotten were there. That actually *weren’t* there, in the first case, that Stephen has chosen to use a different vocal line on it, or add a vocal line that we decided not to have.”

It does say - mixes of all the old albums in surround sound. We'll have to wait and see, but please take my money!

Every time (apart from once at Uni) I've seen Roy Harper he has been 'not quite on the planet' so to speak (mind you first time I saw him in '75 neither was I or 90% of the audience). His original Uni gig had to be cancelled due to a serious illness (allegedly giving a sheep the kiss of life on his farm!), when he did the gig some months later, he came on stage and got a 'chorus' of Baa, Baa..... he stormed off, and was persuaded to come back, he was not amused! did a good gig though!

thats classic, thanks for sharing. I’ve seen him a few times. I’d love to have some of his stuff in surround or even high res.But that’s a subject for another thread. 😉

thats classic, thanks for sharing. I’ve seen him a few times. I’d love to have some of his stuff in surround or even high res.But that’s a subject for another thread. 😉
The last time I saw Roy Harper live I noticed that Jimmy Page was sat a few seats along from me. Now that's someone else who's band's material should really be mixed into surround too!! And now we've gone waaaay off topic, and its back to awaiting VDGG announcements!

Back