Van Der Graaf Generator - 5.1 mixes coming in 2021. It's happening!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always find it interesting how there are bands that are big in Europe that are barely footnotes in the US and vice-versa. I'd say VDG is one of them.... similarly Slade and Status Quo.
I am sure there are plenty of US bands that made a splash here and are barely known in Europe.
Agreed, 2 good examples the other way around are Chicago and Doobie Brothers. I've bought the recent Quadio sets for both of these bands, and I'm really glad I did as I enjoy them immensely. But I only knew a couple of songs from either band beforehand.

This is so exciting. Not just because there will be a 5.1 VG release, but because people are talking about them. I remember seeing Peter in L.A. back in '78 or '79 and I had no idea what the crowd would be like because I had never met a VG fan outside of my local friends. It is just exciting to hear the excitement! Godbluff was my introduction to them and I had a license plate at one time that said: PawnHrt. So, yeah, I can't wait.

Massive fan here - even flew to from Canada's west coast to London for the 2005 reunion show. Really looking forward to whatever comes of this, though I'm guessing they'll be a bit smaller in scale than the BBD sets as VdGG just don't have that much in the way of high quality concert recordings - yes, a few do exist along with some BBC and TV stuff but I don't think enough for big expanded sets. I'd loved to be surprised though by new stuff they've found.

Maybe that's a good thing? Keep it down to 2 cd + dvd for the most part, extra discs added where they have stuff. Oh and get the guys that did "The Book" in on the liner notes.

It would be great, but is June or July likely, when there has been no actual announcement yet, just a mention by Peter Hammill in an interview. I'm keeping an eye out with fevered anticipation for when we get more news.

Yes, it's definitely still possible right now.
Universal tends to announce most of their releases around 6-8 weeks before the release date, so I think it's still possible that we could see these over the summer.

:)

I saw Peter Hammill in Vienna around 1993. I was amazed that half of the setlist was VdGG songs, closing with Cat's Eye / Yellow Fever. It was a small venue and I was standing just in front of him. I listened very intensively to VdGG during my university years, I knew each and every song and loved Peter Hammill's calligraphy in the printed lyrics, which I laboriously struggled to decypher. My interest declined dramaticaly over the years, but I hope that these remixes spark my interest again, as it happened to me with many other bands !

My reporting of Peter Hammill in this magazine article talking about the 5.1 mixes seems to have spawned threads on both the Progressive Ears and Steve Hoffman forums! I hope there's some official news soon, to add to all the speculation. As is the case with many of us, I much prefer my 5.1 mixes in standalone versions as opposed to expensive box sets. That said, Van Der Graaf are one of the few bands where I would splash out for a lavish box set. Whatever it is, bring it on and take my money :SG

Unfortunately, a comment on the band's Facebook page indicates that the 5.1 remixes will be released as part of a 20-disc box set.
I've just seen this myself too, and the Facebook comment is quoting the same magazine article that I read. I've just looked at the magazine article again though, and its not entirely clear. It starts by mentioning a reissue campaign later in 2021. It then goes on to say "there will also be a 20-disc box set, The Charisma Years, containing lots of previously unreleased material alongside the new versions". Further on in the article Peter Hammill talks about there being 5.1 remixes in the box. This doesn't necessarily mean that the 5.1 mixes are only in the box. There might be standalones too.

So glad I purchased the Universal Japan Stereo SHM~SACDs of VDGG which are now OOP! Unless the 5.1 remixes are stand alone releases ..... NO WAY am I investing in a 20 RBCD set!

If this actually happens, it's something I never expected to see given the relative obscurity (at least in the US) of VDGG and founding member Peter Hammill. However, it's extremely welcome and deserved as I think Hammill/VDGG music is actually one of the defining pillars of 70's progressive rock music, alongside many other higher profile bands such as King Crimson, Yes, Genesis and even Gentle Giant. After Hammill's 2005, 2006 remasters of the catalog I just assumed the multitrack tapes no longer existed, but apparently dreams come true. The VDGG discography is relatively small (8 albums from the 70's; 5 from the 2000's), but all of the 70's output is essential listening for progressive rock fans. Hammill's massive solo discography (well over 30 albums and still coming) is more varied musically, but it should be noted that much of his solo output from the 70's can be considered as slightly stripped down VDGG albums since some and occasionally all the band members appear on them. The music is unique, dense and challenging, featuring Hammill's intelligent, often very dark lyrics, and his intense vocals which can quickly go from a gloomy whisper to a falsetto scream. Whether they come as individual releases or as part of larger box sets, I'll definitely be picking these up.

As always price will be an issue. I would think a couple of their most popular albums, Pawn Hearts, will see a separate release but doubtful they would be packaged with 5.1 remixes. The recent Focus box set has not seen any separate album releases. I am not knowledgable about most of their output but used to have a collection on lp with a song I liked Killer aside from the Pawn Hearts album which I still have.

I'm thinking the Be Bop Deluxe reissue sets are, say, £50 each. So if the Van Der Graaf 5.1s are only available in one happy box set, for, say £250, then they'll still be better value overall per 5.1 than the Be Bop Deluxes. That's what I'm telling myself anyway!

I read the article and I got the impression its only 2 albums in 5.1, Pawn Hearts & Godbluff, but I'll still succumb if they're only in the Box Set
The article isn't clear is it! I'll buy the box too, even if its just those 2. I've just noticed that one Stephen W Tayler is actually reading this thread at the moment!! He would know the answers, but I guess he's not allowed to say unfortunately.

Back