Van Der Graaf Generator - 5.1 mixes coming in 2021. It's happening!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Box set (including signed postcard) pre ordered from Burning Shed :SG . £128.82 including tracked/insured shipping. That's a great price for such a large set of 20 discs, that includes 4 surround mixes on bluray (y)
An expensive day ordered the VDGG from The Shed, and All Things must Pass from the George Harrison site :SB

I've asked Mark Powell (the set's producer) to clarify about Blu-Ray in the box and DVD for the 4 smaller reissues.

Just got an update from Mark. The information is correct. Blu-Ray only in the box set and DVDs in the 4 smaller reissues:
Yes that’s correct. The box has Blu ray but the smaller versions have DVDs. Also for some reason the track listing omits Still Life on the 5.1 mix. This isn’t correct as the entire album is presented in this format

Just got an update from Mark. The information is correct. Blu-Ray only in the box set and DVDs in the 4 smaller reissues:
That's good to know that Still Life isn't omitted, thanks. I think the boxset is definitely the best choice here. You get the surround mixes on lossless bluray, but the bottom line is, the boxset really isn't that expensive for what it is and also compared to other releases. Its not that much more expensive than the upcoming All Things Must Pass set, and it has way more content, both surround and other. And 4 of the Be Bop Deluxe recent sets would cost a combined two thirds more than this Van Der Graaf box. For my rationale to work, you obviously have to like Van Der Graaf music in the first place!

I'm terribly excited about this upcoming set. I'm going crazy with purchasing these deluxe boxes this year though. So far I've ordered the ELP reissue with virtually their entire catalog, the John Mayall '65 - '74, the uber deluxe All Things Must Pass, the upcoming Pretty Things BBC Sessions and the out-of-print Bouquets from a Cloudy Sky, Al Stewart's Year of the Cat, the upcoming massive Caravan box, Deja Vu 50th, and three of the Marillion boxes.

Last edited:
Loving some of the photos included in these promos. Like looking at pics I've never seen of old friends...

download.jpg

Attachments

• Capture.png
    Capture.png
    1 MB · Views: 77
  • Capture3.png
    Capture3.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
I went with the DVD bundle from Burning Shed. I generally only listen to the extras once. I have no room to display or store the box. My ears really won't be able to tell the difference, if there is any, in sound quality. I get just what I want, the 5.1 stuff; pluss a few extras on CD (which I'll only listen to once). With shipping to the U.S. it cost me less than $80. For 4 multi channel albums that's a great deal.

I went with the DVD bundle from Burning Shed. I generally only listen to the extras once. I have no room to display or store the box. My ears really won't be able to tell the difference, if there is any, in sound quality. I get just what I want, the 5.1 stuff; pluss a few extras on CD (which I'll only listen to once). With shipping to the U.S. it cost me less than $80. For 4 multi channel albums that's a great deal.

I went for box in spite of the fact that I also have very limited storage space for those things. I want the 5.1 mixes on bluray, I want the video bluray, and as someone who thoroughly enjoyed all six albums as LPs. I probably will really like the xtras for once.

At some point I may throw the boxes out if I have to make room for more. The Kraftwerk box will be the first to go.

How did you get the total to less than 80 US dollars for something that costs almost 70 GB pounds?

Back