Van Der Graaf Generator - 5.1 mixes coming in 2021. It's happening!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are plenty of discs with empty AUDIO_TS folders. That doesn't make them DVD-As. Unless there's data in there, it's just a regular old DVD-V. The "DVD Audio" logo has been tossed about rather carelessly by labels in recent times.

Yes, it's true that not every disc with an AUDIO_TS file is a DVDA....but every DVDA has an AUDIO_TS file, which is not true of every DVD-V (they are rare on modern DVD-Vs in my experience). Which was my point in writing 'like a DVD-A'. And in accord with the DVD-Audio labelling on the product itself.

Yeah Amazon UK will warn ya on that and that mainly applies to regular movie dvds and blurays, but most, if not all of these dvd or bluray music releases are universal so they will play anywhere. The seller was probably thinking oh American ordering UK dvd and he will have to refund if sent. So yeah......

Order to your hearts content :LB :LB :LB

Yeah, it was actually the seller that contacted me saying that it was a region specific DVD for whatever reason. I cancelled the order and regret it now.

Finally, my box arrived. Probably won't have time for the 5.1 mixes until the weekend...grr.

I have now listened to all four of my VDGG DVD's in 5.1 surround.
I come from a place of zero experience listening to this band, so all tracks where new and fresh to me.
I have many surround discs and I am confident in my ability to judge a modern day re-mix of older albums.
As I have no prior experience with this music I cannot tell you what is missing, exagerated, or can hear now what I couldn't hear before, etc.
I can tell you however that all the tracks, all four DVD's have excellent surround. These discs need to be paid attention to while listening, if being distracted you will miss the subtle and great adventures in surround.
The mix on each track warrants a track by track commentary as each track really has great surround content.
I love standouts for me like vocals that start out rears, and morph forward to center channel, Sax and Organ that play different parts in different speakers depending on track, drumming that has excellent movement and great snap of toms and kick, all brilliant.
Only tiny negative would be what Steven Wilson does also by dedicating a tiny bit too much of main vocal in center which can make it a little shrill, but my hearing at my age that is most effected, the highs.
Highly reccomend these 4 discs for your surround library. I may not listen to them a lot as they are not part of my growing up, but I do look forward to another round.

Slowly working my way through the stereo discs while reading the book, and today I also checked out the first of the new stereo mixes - H to He. Worth checking out -- based on this first listen, the new stereo mixes are quite inventive and interesting in their own right, in terms of placement of instruments and things.

But, overall, I keep going back to those surround mixes! I'm discovering new things on each new listen. Loving them.

Snood got me Van Der Graafs from Burning Shed today, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut - all was fine except Snood PAWN HEARTS came completely unsealed no seal at all......all 3 of the others were sealed with hype sticker. The discs seem ok, but their was a lil bit in black ink imperfection on one of the inside fold outs. :unsure::confused::unsure:

Anyone else receive any Van Ders this way?? Is this the way all PAWN HEARTS showed up?? Doubt it :unsure:

I emailed their support to send me a new one instead of a used one and since when did they start selling used as new? A lil confused and not upset, but yeah :confused: Does not show good on that company - might have to start shopping elsewhere. Will see how they respond.

Snood got me Van Der Graafs from Burning Shed today, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut - all was fine except Snood PAWN HEARTS came completely unsealed no seal at all......all 3 of the others were sealed with hype sticker. The discs seem ok, but their was a lil bit in black ink imperfection on one of the inside fold outs. :unsure::confused::unsure:

Anyone else receive any Van Ders this way?? Is this the way all PAWN HEARTS showed up?? Doubt it :unsure:

I emailed their support to send me a new one instead of a used one and since when did they start selling used as new? A lil confused and not upset, but yeah :confused: Does not show good on that company - might have to start shopping elsewhere. Will see how they respond.
Mine was all sealed.

20210917_164131.jpg

Back