HiRez Poll Van Der Graaf Generator - THE CHARISMA YEARS: 1970-1978 [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Van Der Graaf Generator - THE CHARISMA YEARS: 1970-1978

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2021 box set from British band Van Der Graaf Generator entitled "The Charisma Years: 1970-1978".
The box set features four of the band's classic albums remixed in 5.1 surround by @Stephen W Tayler and presented on Blu-Ray:
-1970's "H to He Who Am the Only One"
-1971's "Pawn Hearts"
-1975's "Godbluff"
-1976's "Still Life"

(y) :) (n)

81lQDXMbnLL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

81b4WBvFR4L._SL1216_.jpg

814RENuri8S._AC_SL1500_.jpg

61jzLSv%2BUWL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

71LGNGU1rHL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

51b1Xl4tz9L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

81446M81lPL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
A definite 10 from me, this is a stunning set (y) . Loads of content in a quality presentation box with a big book, and for a reasonable cost for so many discs.

I've done a lot of listening of this set since it arrived on Thursday, as I'm off work with Covid (just really nasty flu symptoms for me so far). The sound quality, remixes for 4 of the albums, remasters for the rest, is uniformly excellent. The 4 surround mixes are great and fill the room nicely with this wonderfully strange and unique music.

A definite 10 from me, this is a stunning set (y) . Loads of content in a quality presentation box with a big book, and for a reasonable cost for so many discs.

I've done a lot of listening of this set since it arrived on Thursday, as I'm off work with Covid (just really nasty flu symptoms for me so far). The sound quality, remixes for 4 of the albums, remasters for the rest, is uniformly excellent. The 4 surround mixes are great and fill the room nicely with this wonderfully strange and unique music.

thanks for all the info, glad you're loving this set and above all get well soon! 🤗

I voted 10. A great box set with excellent remasters and remixes of classical albums.

Pawn Hearts is the most aggressive surround mix, in my opinion, followed by H to He.
However, I much prefer Godbluff and Still Life as albums, and I think the improved fidelity and clarity is impressive, particularly in the vocals.

I'm so impressed with the overall fidelity of these 4 albums. So many remasters from this era sound flat to me with highs missing or no dynamics. The quality is just beautiful. And the 5.1 mix is brilliant; discrete when it works and immersive throughout. Not that we should be comparing, but these mixes are right up there with the Free Hand remix earlier this year, for me. If Steven can't do a remix, I have no issue with Stephen doing it instead. :)

I'm so impressed with the overall fidelity of these 4 albums. So many remasters from this era sound flat to me with highs missing or no dynamics. The quality is just beautiful. And the 5.1 mix is brilliant; discrete when it works and immersive throughout. Not that we should be comparing, but these mixes are right up there with the Free Hand remix earlier this year, for me. If Steven can't do a remix, I have no issue with Stephen doing it instead. :)

More so than that even, Stephen W Tayler is perhaps the better choice, given his history with Trident and how au fait he is with their engineering techniques (for the first two of the remixed albums at least).

Played H to HE last night, into Pawn Hearts now...I don't have to hear the rest to give this set a solid 10...just so well mixed, beautiful package. Such a shame the rest of the catalogue multis couldn't be found to make a complete set.

Thank you Stephen for your work on this set, I never expected to hear VdGG in 5.1 aside from upmix stuff (was this considered for the "missing" albums?) and you really have done a great job on albums I've loved for who knows how many years...don't wanna count!

Wow! What a great package! It's a 10 from me! The surround mixes are stellar, lots of stuff going on in the rears, but not overpowering. Very complementary to the music and well thought out. I waited a bit to vote, as I wanted to take some time and really dig into the rest of the box. As a long time fan, I am really digging the bonus material on the CD's. The Pawn Hearts Sessions, are you kidding me?!! Love it! I am only about half way through the box, and am really looking forward to the video material, that's up next!!

I did not get the box set, but rather ordered 3 of the DVDs individually (and need to get the 4th). I listened to Godbluff first and Pawn Hearts second. Still need to listen to Still Life. I am not familiar with these guys at all, in spite of being a fan of Genesis and Yes from that era. I don't think that's particularly uncommon for folks in the USA.

While this often takes forays into the just plain weird rather than progressive, I'm enjoying it immensely. This surround mix is absolutely top notch and it's hard to believe that these were recorded in the 70s. Everything sounds so full and the mix is so well balanced and immersive., just as it should be. And because the music is new to me, I have a feeling I will be spinning these a lot (when the wife is not home-- she indicated it was not her cup of tea, and she's very open minded about music). My only complaint is a very small one that may be a moot point because I haven't compared to the original stereo mixes, and that's that the drums sometimes disappear in the mix. Not literally, but relative to all the rest of what's going on. But I don't feel that I'm missing the beat or anything like that, and this sometimes happens in dense songs.

My only complaint is a very small one that may be a moot point because I haven't compared to the original stereo mixes, and that's that the drums sometimes disappear in the mix. Not literally, but relative to all the rest of what's going on.
I noticed this as well, particularly during "The Undercover Man" on Godbluff. I think it has to do with the drums being almost completely dry upfront, with the big reverbs and delays placed in the rear speakers. This approach gives the song a very cool-sounding '3D' feel - especially during the iconic flute intro - but has the side-effect of making the rhythm section seem more distant if you're sitting closer to the rear speakers. It sounds better-balanced on my system with the rears turned down slightly, at the cost of the piano part isolated in the rears becoming a bit less prominent.

OMG, this box set just popped up in the Surround Polls list at the top! VDGG ahead of any other prog band and with no help from Steven Wilson.... LOL. Seriously, this is a MAJOR prog release of 2021. Dive in if you've never experienced these guys. Hammill is not for everyone, but if you can handle him, strap yourself in and go along for the intense ride. This ain't Yes or Genesis, folks.

OMG, this box set just popped up in the Surround Polls list at the top! VDGG ahead of any other prog band and with no help from Steven Wilson.... LOL. Seriously, this is a MAJOR prog release of 2021. Dive in if you've never experienced these guys. Hammill is not for everyone, but if you can handle him, strap yourself in and go along for the intense ride. This ain't Yes or Genesis, folks.

Agree completely. I haven't voted on this box set, but rather on all the individual DVD releases, which is what I have. All were easy 10 votes. These are among my favorite surround discs. A bit weird at times, but never boring.

OK, I cheated a bit since I don't have this box set, but since I do have these 4 surround offerings on DVD, and they are all 10s, I feel like it really isn't cheating too much.

These are still an easy 10 for me. The first two are a bit more adventurous mix-wise, but I have to say that I probably like Godbluff the best of all the albums. If anybody on here were to want a starting point, that would probably be the album I'd recommend as the most accessible. Pawn Hearts is unquestionably weird, H to He slightly less so. Godbluff and Still Life seem to be a happy medium, but Godbluff being the better of the two albums IMHO.

Back