Van Halen Mobile Fidelity SACDs now available for pre-orders

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t get it, seems to be that no matter who you do business with in this day and age, something always goes wrong, mostly because of INCOMPETENCE or LACK of TRAINING or BOTH….I work remotely for a prominent University Hospital in the Philly area and boy oh boy….I just HOPE AND PRAY that nobody has to be seen by Dr’s or go to the hospital….be healthy!!! It’s a mess out there people.

INCOMPETENCE RUNS WILD ALL OVER….these DAZE!!!😩
Every business has a ready made excuse as to why they are so incompetent, Covid and the pandemic. And they all use it every chance they get.
BTW, I got taxed and I am in Maryland. Maybe they have an office somewhere in the state.

Edit: This link shows the rules by state.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/states-with-internet-sales-tax
Looks like it dependent in most states with how many transactions and/or how many dollars a business makes in the state.

Last edited:
I assume I get charged sales tax from MD, because they are based in Illinois, which is where I live.
Every business has a ready made excuse as to why they are so incompetent, Covid and the pandemic. And they all use it every chance they get.
BTW, I got taxed and I am in Maryland. Maybe they have an office somewhere in the state.

Edit: This link shows the rules by state.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/states-with-internet-sales-tax
Looks like it dependent in most states with how many transactions and/or how many dollars a business makes in the state.
Cool info …. Good to know!!😁

Great Thread!

It doesn’t make sense to order directly from the MoFi Website. I did once thinking my order would arrive faster because I live in the same State as MoFi. They not only charged me shipping on a good sizable order, they shipped out of Music Direct in Chicago. And now, to hear the MoFi Website immediately charges your card, that’s another reason not to purchase through MoFi on preorders.

1984, by far their most popular album, not getting much love here on QQ!
Honestly I think the fidelity on 1984 is bad on CD. I love the album but I just don’t think it sounds good compared to some of their other albums. I’m interested in you guys telling me how good it sounds before I buy it! 😂

The one thing I don’t understand about some of the ONE-STEP presses is why some titles are pressed at 33 1/3 RPM and others at 45 RPM obviously the 45RPM pressings would sound better, so why not press all that way?!
Some probably require 45 to get optimal fidelity. Some may simply be what the market will bear. Others - like Van Halen - which will benefit little, if at all, from 45 rpm (they’re only 33min LPs - give or take a min or so), but I’m guessing in this case MFSL may be contractually obligated to 45 rpm so they don’t “compete“ with the existing 33 versions.

Bottom-line: There can be many reasons why a decision is made to cut at 33 or 45 - some which aren’t related at all to fidelity.or superficial logic.

Some probably require 45 to get optimal fidelity. Some may simply be what the market will bear. Others - like Van Halen - which will benefit little, if at all, from 45 rpm (they’re only 33min LPs - give or take a min or so), but I’m guessing in this case MFSL may be contractually obligated to 45 rpm so they don’t “compete“ with the existing 33 versions.

Bottom-line: There can be many reasons why a decision is made to cut at 33 or 45 - some which aren’t related at all to fidelity.or superficial logic.
You just might have a good few points…to think about thanks.

But really when it comes to these SACD’s and ONE-STEP pressings, I really don’t think that the price of selling them has anything to do with it, considering the clientele. Your point as far as CONTRACTUALLY being done, might hold some water, or whatever you choose, or maybe the length of the songs won’t fit😁

I’m going to try and call MD this week and see if I can get a definitive answer😁

As the saying used to go “ENQUIRING MINDS WOULD LIKE TO KNOW”😂😂

Last edited:
You just might have a good few points…to think about thanks.

But really when it comes to these SACD’s and ONE-STEP pressings, I really don’t think that the price of selling them has anything to do with it, considering the clientele. Your point as far as CONTRACTUALLY being done, might hold some water, or whatever you choose, or maybe the length of the songs won’t fit😁

I’m going to try and call MD this week and see if I can get a definitive answer😁

As the saying used to go “ENQUIRING MINDS WOULD LIKE TO KNOW”😂😂

And perhaps MM, as MASTER of the SUAVE, you can charm them into a [freebie] TEST PRESSING!

Yep. I remember some 10 years ago I met the parents of the guy who started and owns Music Direct. This was on an Amtrak train where they pair people up for dining because of lack of seating in the dining car. Usually this is uncomfortable at best, but sometimes the people are really nice.

My wife and I sat with this older couple then on a cross-country trip that we were taking, and making small talk with them to pass the time. They mentioned that their son owned a record company of some kind and my ears perked up. They mentioned that it was previously called MFSL and by then they had my full attention 🙂.

I started reeling off the whole history of MFSL and those two parents looked as proud as could be. It was like finally......someone knew what their son did. Nice couple and by the time I got home I had received a catalog from Music Direct with a letter thanking me for being so nice with his parents.
Wow, great story. I'd have liked to have been there. Thanks for sharing that one ☺️

• Looks like it dependent in most states with how many transactions and/or how many dollars a business makes in the state.
    [/QUOTE]

• Thanks Bill B. for link on state sales tax. So according to that,these states don't charge tax:
Alaska
Delaware
New Hampshire
Montana
Oregon

• Looks like it dependent in most states with how many transactions and/or how many dollars a business makes in the state.

• Thanks Bill B. for link on state sales tax. So according to that,these states don't charge tax:
Alaska
Delaware
New Hampshire
Montana
Oregon
[/QUOTE]
I live in Maryland and drive through Delaware several times a year, I can vouch that they definitely do no have sales tax. When we were in college we always used to buy our beer as we passed through Del on our way to the beach.

So, since I purchased all 6 flac downloads at the same quality. I'm debating......I may cancel my order and just order the 45rpm version of 1 or 2. Mostly for the cool factor.
Is there a possibility that you be able to sell those downloads at a profit some day? There is at least a chance you could with the sacds.

Alaska
Delaware
New Hampshire
Montana
Oregon
I live in Maryland and drive through Delaware several times a year, I can vouch that they definitely do no have sales tax. When we were in college we always used to buy our beer as we passed through Del on our way to the beach.
[/QUOTE]

I thought Maine was also exempt from sales tax? Maybe I should set up residences or PO Box numbers in those states. Tired of paying RIDICULOUS New York Property .... and then sales tax. Ay Yi Yi!

edit: Maine is NOT exempt from sales tax.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]

I thought Maine was also exempt from sales tax? Maybe I should set up residences or PO Box numbers in those states. Tired of paying RIDICULOUS New York Property .... and then sales tax. Ay Yi Yi!

[/QUOTE]

If you want to maintain a residence somewhere to escape taxes, Nevada is a good place. They have no state income tax. They do have a sales tax though.

[/QUOTE]

why not become a "ReSeller " ( wink wink )

Get a tax exempt Resale account number.

Back