Van Morrison "Moondance" (Standalone Blu-Ray with Steven Wilson Dolby Atmos mix coming in December!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I was disappointed not to hear the low brass bloom after “When that foghorn blows”, so my fingers are crossed that it has returned in the new mix.
Yeah, there's some kind of technical error in the 5.1 mix where most of the brass signal during that part somehow ended up in the LFE channel. It's in the rear height speakers in the Atmos mix and back to full volume.

Yeah, there's some kind of technical error in the 5.1 mix where most of the brass signal during that part somehow ended up in the LFE channel. It's in the rear height speakers in the Atmos mix and back to full volume.
Hmm. I always felt the 5.1 Blu Ray was a little light in bass, particularly on the Moondance track. Otherwise it was pretty good. This is better. On the surface these two mixes don’t seem dissimilar, but the bass seems fuller on the SW mix and it is more adventurous overall, with much going on. It’s also sounds a little warmer. The fidelity sounds pretty good for streaming. It blew my socks off from the first note of the album. Has made my day. Very grateful, but looking forward to ‘ lots more on the way…’(SW quote)

Last edited:
Wilson remixing Van's catalouge (well, at least from Astral Weeks up to Enlightenment) in surround and getting physical releases would be pretty close to audio nirvana for me. I hope that's what Wilson means in that post by "Lots more on the way..."

This is one situation where I hope the artist involved has no control over such releases, given how grumpy Van is, and how he hates record companies (as he keeps telling us in his songs).

SW.
"My spatial audio Dolby Atmos remix of Van Morrison (Official)’s multi-platinum 1970 classic album Moondance is now available on streaming platforms, I hope you enjoy it! What a masterpiece it is.
On a side note I know a lot of people still prefer physical editions in high resolution rather than streaming compressed files, myself included. All I can say is that I’m always pushing for this to happen (also with the recent Chic remixes), and while there are no guarantees the conversations are happening, so fingers crossed. Lots more on the way..."
It's great to see this appear, and this album is a classic... but maybe almost too classic for me, in the sense of being overplayed (although I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing Into The Mystic). Plus I already have the previous 5.1 mix by Elliot Scheiner on disc, which is very good, so on my 5.1 system, Stephen Wilson's new Atmos mix isn't appreciably better for me, maybe a little worse actually, although I haven't compared them thoroughly. What I'd love to see is for SW to do Atmos mixes of other albums in Van Morrison's early run of classics, if the multis exist -- say, Saint Dominic's Preview or Tupelo Honey, maybe. I've been listening to Veedon Fleece since @edisonbaggins mentioned it in passing in one of his recent Albums Of The Week vids, and that's such an underrated, really deep album that would be a great surround candidate also.

Beyond the question of whether the multitracks are available for his other albums, I wonder if Van Morrison is on board with any remixing or reissuing of his back catalog. I recall that he publicly expressed anger that Warner Bros. put out the previous Moondance anniversary edition that includes the Scheiner 5.1 mix without his involvement or consent, so my guess is that the SW Atmos mix was also done without his input or approval... not sure if that matters in the long run, and he's an infamously grumpy and bitter guy in general, but maybe if he was on board, it would be more likely that more surround mixes of his classic albums would emerge? One can only dream...

It's great to see this appear, and this album is a classic... but maybe almost too classic for me, in the sense of being overplayed (although I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing Into The Mystic). Plus I already have the previous 5.1 mix by Elliot Scheiner on disc, which is very good, so on my 5.1 system, Stephen Wilson's new Atmos mix isn't appreciably better for me, maybe a little worse actually, although I haven't compared them thoroughly. What I'd love to see is for SW to do Atmos mixes of other albums in Van Morrison's early run of classics, if the multis exist -- say, Saint Dominic's Preview or Tupelo Honey, maybe. I've been listening to Veedon Fleece since @edisonbaggins mentioned it in passing in one of his recent Albums Of The Week vids, and that's such an underrated, really deep album that would be a great surround candidate also.

Beyond the question of whether the multitracks are available for his other albums, I wonder if Van Morrison is on board with any remixing or reissuing of his back catalog. I recall that he publicly expressed anger that Warner Bros. put out the previous Moondance anniversary edition that includes the Scheiner 5.1 mix without his involvement or consent, so my guess is that the SW Atmos mix was also done without his input or approval... not sure if that matters in the long run, and he's an infamously grumpy and bitter guy in general, but maybe if he was on board, it would be more likely that more surround mixes of his classic albums would emerge? One can only dream...
i think a bigger barrier to 'Atmosizing' his catalogue, as much as Van the man himself, may be that it is not all on one label?

a couple of his Classic albums are on Warner including "Astral Weeks" but the lion's share of his earlier work seems now to be under Sony's auspices.

anything's possible though i guess and personally i'd love for them to do them all, he may be a grumpy ol' sod but musically he's a giant in my eyes.

i think a bigger barrier to 'Atmosizing' his catalogue, as much as Van the man himself, may be that it is not all on one label?

a couple of his Classic albums are on Warner including "Astral Weeks" but the lion's share of his earlier work seems now to be under Sony's auspices.

anything's possible though i guess and personally i'd love for them to do them all, he may be a grumpy ol' sod but musically he's a giant in my eyes.
And don't forget the haunting Veedon Fleece! A 'natch' for the full ATMOS treatment!

Van Morrison Veedon Fleece Japanese vinyl LP album (LP record) (371880)

As has happened before, I posted this without benefit of seeing all the previous posts on the subject, because I was replying to something in the "Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming..." thread, not realizing that posts from there had been moved to a new thread dedicated to the subject at hand.

So I will make another, very humble, request to the admittedly already-overburdened moderators, to please consider adding a quick post in the old thread with a link to the new thread, when posts are moved out from a general thread to a specific one. I fully understand and agree with the decision to create a new thread, it's just that it's not always obvious when this has been done.

Thanks for your consideration, and as always, for your hard work keeping this place chugging along.

Scheiner BD 5.1 vs. Wilson Streaming Atmos

Hate to sound like a 'spoil sport' but sometimes LESS is MORE. In the early 00's way before Atmos, Scheiner once remarked in an interview that he felt 5.1 was MORE than sufficient for music. In another post on this thread, it was stated that the sax in THESE DREAMS OF YOU is heard in the overhead front speakers ...... in the recording studio was the sax player located in the ceiling? ATMOS, I'm sure is wonderful for electronic music and/or densely populated recordings but I never thought of Van the Man ever imagining that one of his greatest achievements would incorporate overhead elements which might disrupt the flow of his musical genius. As stated, SW would like his ATMOS remixes of CHIC to be eventually released on physical disc. IMO, CHIC in ATMOS just might be a marriage made in heaven .... and also Donna Summers, another favorite artist of Mr Wilson would be ideal for ATMOS.

Hate to sound like a 'spoil sport' but sometimes LESS is MORE. In the early 00's way before Atmos, Scheiner once remarked in an interview that he felt 5.1 was MORE than sufficient for music. In another post on this thread, it was stated that the sax in THESE DREAMS OF YOU is heard in the overhead front speakers ...... in the recording studio was the sax player located in the ceiling? ATMOS, I'm sure is wonderful for electronic music and/or densely populated recordings but I never thought of Van the Man ever imagining that one of his greatest achievements would incorporate overhead elements which might disrupt the flow of his musical genius. As stated, SW would like his ATMOS remixes of CHIC to be eventually released on physical disc. IMO, CHIC in ATMOS just might be a marriage made in heaven .... and also Donna Summers, another favorite artist of Mr Wilson would be ideal for ATMOS.
Classic ABBA too!

Back