DTS-CD Vanishing DTS Files

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
I have a strange problem I've encountered with a couple of dts conversions of recordings I have. I had not played some of these in a few years, but do know that they played fine at one time. When I attempted to play the recordings recently I've encoutered a few they will no longer play. It's not accurate to say the files have vanished. When you open the folder for the disc, there are still files there. They just will not playback. Has anyone else encountered burns of dts conversions that once played and then quit playing for some reason? Concerns me a bit because I have a lot of conversions of my collection and I'd hate to think that they all ultimately are going to be unplayable. Any thoughts or advice on the problem would be appreciated.

I've had some of my CD-Rs become unplayable. It's been a while since I've gone through them, so I expect more have deteriorated then I'm aware of. For the dts discs, though, it is more obvious then normal CD, the audio goes nuts over the slightest of errors. Instead of an occassional dropout, you might get all kinds of annoying loud blips and bloops and beeps. Not pleasant at all.

Jonathan is correct, this is a cdr issue and they do not last a long long time. Might make a statement for GOOD cdrs, any studies done of late. Problem is these things change all the time.

I remember I once bought a box of mitsui gold CD-Rs, because they are supposed to be "guaranteed" to last 100 years. Of course, no one has had a mitsui gold CD-R for 100 years, so how they came to this conclusion, I'm not sure. But one thing I do know, if you don't put a label on it, the gold layer flakes right off if you scratch it. I think the only thing that will determine what CD-Rs are long lasting will be time. If you really want a chance at preserving things that you own on CD-R, you need to rip a copy to a hard drive, and then copy that to another hard drive for a backup.

Sometimes with a disc that worn't play it can still be copied to a new disc. The disc won't play, but the data is still there on the old disc.

Jonathan is right, back up twice to 2 different drives all ones files DVD-A's DTS-CD, etc.

Then when drive is full put back in box in closet and hopefully they'll work again when needed. That's what I do. I also back Data on discs as I don't trust drives either. Also, don't leave drives running when not needed (putting stuff on them), the less wear the better.

EDIT: The copied DTS-CD will play as normal again from the disc that won't, if the data is still there.

I don't have any great suggestions for fixing your current discs, unfortunately.

Though, if you do decide to rip your DTS-CDs to a hard drive I'd recommend using software that does a good job. Or use the best settings for getting a good rip, that is. For instance, I use iTunes; however, I've found that I get dropouts with DTS-CDs unless I set iTunes to use "Error Correction". It's a slower rip and takes a little longer, but well worth the wait as it eliminates any dropouts with DTS-CDs (in my experience, at least).

That said...

I once had some Memorex Music CD-Rs (from maybe circa 2002/03?) that went bad on me. Played fine and a few years later they were either unplayable or close to it; I had a stereo analog copy made from my Heathen SACD and after the disc went bad it sounded almost like worn-out vinyl with clicks and pops---only worse and distorted. Thankfully, I still had an MP3 of the recording that I had ripped to my computer for the iPod that I made years earlier and it still played fine (granted at MP3 bitrates).

But I've been leary of losing data ever since. Nowadays I'm trying to maintain two separate backups on external hard drives, one kept with me and another kept offsite. That and just hoping to be lucky in that I hopefully won't lose anything else. Hopefully, that is.

Hard drive backup is the *only* way to go, Kazaaam is correct: two copies, one for "normal use", one mirror somewhere else. Given the current prices of hd storage it's dumb not to do it.
EAC does a good job for ripping any cd-da structure, works well also with dts cd.

OK, good to know. I'm wondering, is this only a cdr issue or will the same problem ultimately happen with dvd-audio backup recordings? Will the dvd-R media also go to crap at some point?

Any -R media will be affected, sooner or later, by the very nature of these media. The Dye in which the digital information is recorded is sensistive to light, so there is a degradation issue that is normal.

I wound up buying MOFI Gold Discs (guaranteed 300 years! ... and they are really Mitsui 8X discs) but I have had a lot of good luck with those.
I haven't had one die on me yet. I'll let you know sometime around 2310 if they start to suck! :)
I do keep them in a cool, dark place though, where no heat, cold or sunlight etc can get to them.
And I DO have 2 HDs backing them up! It would be a crime to see hundreds of us doing hundreds of conversions only for our work to die the horrible death that most master tapes have.

Back