Various Albums 50th

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonik Wiz

👂 500 MPH EARS 👂
QQ Supporter
It seems not too long ago we went through a spate of 50th Anniversary re-releases. Another year, another bunch of albums turning 50. Interesting to me is that most of these are not the artists/bands first albums:

1609860660299.png

It seems not too long ago we went through a spate of 50th Anniversary re-releases. Another year, another bunch of albums turning 50. Interesting to me is that most of these are not the artists/bands first albums:

View attachment 61292
A lot of those we already have decent surround for; but there are also some real monster titles in there that we don’t have- place your bets!
*hold on a sec... Linda got credit for Ram?

A lot of those we already have decent surround for; but there are also some real monster titles in there that we don’t have- place your bets!
*hold on a sec... Linda got credit for Ram?
Haha yeah I liked Linda McCartneys album quite a bit. I remember when these were all new albums. Makes you realize what a great year for music 1971 was. Notably absent is Zappa. The ELO album was released in quad & boy howdy I wish more of their music was in surround. While I'm wishing, I also wish I had that ELO album in Q4 or at least SQ LP. I bet it would sound great on the Surround Master.

Haha yeah I liked Linda McCartneys album quite a bit. I remember when these were all new albums. Makes you realize what a great year for music 1971 was. Notably absent is Zappa. The ELO album was released in quad & boy howdy I wish more of their music was in surround. While I'm wishing, I also wish I had that ELO album in Q4 or at least SQ LP. I bet it would sound great on the Surround Master.
Oh I’m sure there’s a ton of goodies not on the list; and I’m not gonna put any money on LZ IV :mad:

The ELO album was released in quad & boy howdy I wish more of their music was in surround. While I'm wishing, I also wish I had that ELO album in Q4 or at least SQ LP. I bet it would sound great on the Surround Master.

The quad mix was reissued as part of a CD/DVD set several years ago--I'd go for that over the SQ LP.

The quad mix was reissued as part of a CD/DVD set several years ago--I'd go for that over the SQ LP.

Thanks very much for the reply! I'll see if I can find that at a reasonable price.

I saw ELO just once a few years later for the Elderado tour. It was the 1st time I saw a huge mix board with three guys at it as I walked to my seat. It was the 1st time, I think, I saw a rock concert, that used canned snippets from the album & it fitted in well. It was the 1st time I ever heard a live performance sound so good & of course I loved the music. Before that it was all Jefferson Airplane, Canned Heat, etc on stage with their Kustom amps, whatever & the sound quality was very dicey.

When I look through that list so many bring back memories for me & I bet they do for others as well. Things like when I 1st heard it, my friends I listened to it with, the associated concert, etc. Of all those albums & memories the one that keeps coming back is Love it to Death. It is playing in endless loop right now. I've got purge it somehow...

When that album was popular I was dating a girl who, I slowly learned, was actually quite mentally unstable. She lived with her parents and after some kind of crisis her mother had her committed to University of Kansas Psych Ward. The 1st time I visited it was pretty awkward, making conversation in a common area that I was sure was monitored. I did notice there was no TV but they did have a record player. Next time I brought friend Jay as wingman and an LP, Love it to Death. When we dropped in there was another patient there with a friend visiting. The friend had the shortest shorts & longest legs I'd ever seen. Her name was Jann.

We talked while the record played & it was less tense than before. I think think this was actually '72 & the album was pretty well known. Eventually it got around to The Ballad of Dwight Frye and we were pretty quiet just listening. At the epic climax we all spontaneously started yelling " I gota get out of here. Let me out of here!" Sitting in our chairs holding the arms & jumping back & forth.

Then a nurse came in, yanked the record off & whacked it on the window sill. Ironically the way the record broke you could still play that song. We were asked to leave. I never went back. Jann needed a ride home & I got her number. Somehow it just seems so appropriate, the psych center, that album, that song & Jann.

Anyone else have memories to share when you look at that list?

Oh I’m sure there’s a ton of goodies not on the list; and I’m not gonna put any money on LZ IV :mad:
Oh and FWIW, Frank Zappa had 200 Motels & Live at Fillmore East in his discography that year. Maybe it was just overlooked, maybe to make the list the number of sales was a modulator.

Such a different time. We bought albums and played them. Had friends over to listen to them, loaned them out to other friends. Because it was a pain to do, we never skipped tracks on a side, just let 'em play through. After repeated playing, we got to know ever song on a side, which stays with us to this day.

Today, songs like "Octopuses Garden", "She's Leaving Home", etc, would never get as many plays as they did back then, which adds to the legacy of the release.

Today, it's listen once or twice, pick off the tunes we like, then shelve the album.

I would hate to think of how many times we would play a particular album over and over, all the way through, just to have music on. A totally different world.

Such a different time. We bought albums and played them. Had friends over to listen to them, loaned them out to other friends. Because it was a pain to do, we never skipped tracks on a side, just let 'em play through. After repeated playing, we got to know ever song on a side, which stays with us to this day.

Today, songs like "Octopuses Garden", "She's Leaving Home", etc, would never get as many plays as they did back then, which adds to the legacy of the release.

Today, it's listen once or twice, pick off the tunes we like, then shelve the album.

I would hate to think of how many times we would play a particular album over and over, all the way through, just to have music on. A totally different world.
And stare in a daze at the album art. Wondering what it all meant.

And stare in a daze at the album art. Wondering what it all meant.

Yes Sir!
The two covers that never failed to entrap was Anthem of the Sun:
ANTHEM SUN 2.jpg

Still my all time favorite GD album. And then therte was Steppenwolf, Monster:

STEPPENWOLF 2.jpg

Those two could keep me entranced for the length of a whole side, or till I got scared. Which ever came first.

Yes Sir!
The two covers that never failed to entrap was Anthem of the Sun:
View attachment 61301
Still my all time favorite GD album. And then therte was Steppenwolf, Monster:

View attachment 61302

Those two could keep me entranced for the length of a whole side, or till I got scared. Which ever came first.
Usually, getting scared came first. I hear you bro.

Back