Various Albums 50th

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, your comment about listening to albums at school jogged my memory. I totally forgot. At my high school, our library also had a listening area for albums. Headphones only, obviously. Wow, those were the days huh? Another memory...in music class. On Fridays, our teacher let one of us bring in some 45's to spin on the school turntable. I brought in Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown. (7th grade). I promply got sent to the principle's office because the lyrics said "whole damn town" hahahahaha. Imagine that.
What would they have thought of Nina Simone singing “Mississippi Goddamn” or Jefferson Airplane singing “We Can Be Together”?

Last edited:
I guess in your case that Mother Superior jumped the gun!

Actually, and TRUE story, she eventually had a nervous breakdown and was forced to leave the order. Probably, no thanks to ME! I WAS a handful!

BTW, I was also fired as an altar boy because I couldn't learn my Latin responses .... but yet got an A in high school in LATIN! Go Figure, Mr. E!

Veni, Vidi, Cucurri [I CAME, I SAW, I RAN]

That reminds me of my 6th grade reading teacher, who didn't like me. I don't know why. She was always threatening me that I was doing unsatisfactory work but, what was weird is I always got 1's on my report card for reading (we got 1's, 2's, or 3's for grades instead of A's, etc.) One time, she even came to my home room and dragged me out into the hall, had me up against the wall, yelling at me. My homeroom teacher, who was all of about 4' 8", chased her away.

Anyway, I'm sure my pal and I played "The Pusher" in that room off the cafeteria and never heard anything about it. I guess the walls were soundproof enough.

Doug

Last edited:
My high school English teacher had a few of her own albums in her room. Simon & Garfunkel and Steppenwolf. She let us study 📖 in her room by ourselves during lunch period. That was until the day I played The Pusher.

Fortunately, there were other teachers who let us use their rooms during lunch. We were subsequently banned from hers.

Damn!!

Last edited:
My high school English teacher had a few of her own albums in her room. Simon & Garfunkel and Steppenwolf. She let us study 📖 in her room by ourselves during lunch period. That was until the day I played The Pusher.

Fortunately, there were other teachers who let us use their rooms during lunch. We were subsequently banned from hers.

Damn!!

Partners in crime, Linda. Reminds me of the time in third grade there was a very attractive girl sitting in front of me with long pigtails and I stuck one of them in my INKWELL! Caused QUITE THE COMMOTION! Ironically, she was also the first girl I EVER kissed ❤ [albeit, in 8th grade]

See the source image

Last edited:

Damn!!

So, she was The Pusher of "Unpusherness". The cur!

Music, religion, drugs, dating, hair, I'm loving these comments. Nothing about cars yet? When I dated Jann I had a '72 Pontiac Firebird & Craig 8 track. Tull, Moody Blues, Blood Rock, CSN & Y, American Metaphysical Circus, Stones filled my ears.

Edit: and Cooper. Alice, that is.

I mentioned the '59 Chevy two door hardtop sport coupe which eventually became mine and I drove it until about 1977 when the body got so bad and the timing chain slipped that I sold it to a guy who was restoring another one he got from Arizona and it had absolutely NO rust on it (I even crawled under it and the paint was still on the underside) but the long stainless steel trim on the sides had been damaged somehow. Those parts were pretty much perfect on mine and that's why he wanted it.

The "sound system" as it was, was an AM radio with a front speaker and the cool speaker in the back between the rear seats.

Doug

I mentioned the '59 Chevy two door hardtop sport coupe which eventually became mine and I drove it until about 1977 when the body got so bad and the timing chain slipped that I sold it to a guy who was restoring another one he got from Arizona and it had absolutely NO rust on it (I even crawled under it and the paint was still on the underside) but the long stainless steel trim on the sides had been damaged somehow. Those parts were pretty much perfect on mine and that's why he wanted it.

The "sound system" as it was, was an AM radio with a front speaker and the cool speaker in the back between the rear seats.

Doug

Oh yeah that's right. Post 50.
I remember an almost euphoric musical experience in a friends old Renault Gordini. Listening to I am the Walrus, AM radio 6x9 dash speaker. Maybe some of that had to do with the cannabis sativa mexicana.

Oh yeah that's right. Post 50.
I remember an almost euphoric musical experience in a friends old Renault Gordini. Listening to I am the Walrus, AM radio 6x9 dash speaker. Maybe some of that had to do with the cannabis sativa mexicana.

Gosh, another coinkydink. Somebody in our school had one of those, too. I think it was a early to mid sixties version. Somebody had a Dauphine, too.

"I Am the Walrus" - my friends and I prided ourselves on memorizing all the words. "Semolina Pilchard, dripping from dead dog's...er...I mean..." :D

Doug

Last edited:
Love the way Miles pieced his albums together during that period.
Greyfolded sounds really interesting, I do like the Dead, and Dark Star from Live/Dead is amazing.

Living up to my New Years resolution to revisit at least all of the albums on the orinal list, last night I enjoyed Teaser and the Firecat, Tapestry, & Madman Across the Water. The first two were original purchase stereo LP but I was really happy at the shape they were in & the SM lent a lot to it. Elton was SACD surround. But it's not just about that it's the beauty & the magic re-discovered in the music. Just about a perfect evening. I'll have to give some thought as for tonight's selection.

Living up to my New Years resolution to revisit at least all of the albums on the orinal list, last night I enjoyed Teaser and the Firecat, Tapestry, & Madman Across the Water. The first two were original purchase stereo LP but I was really happy at the shape they were in & the SM lent a lot to it. Elton was SACD surround. But it's not just about that it's the beauty & the magic re-discovered in the music. Just about a perfect evening. I'll have to give some thought as for tonight's selection.

BTW, how did Tapestry sound through the Surround Master, SW. Even the new SONY Japan multi~CH SACD in that special 7" packaging contains a very tepid surround mix!

BTW, how did Tapestry sound through the Surround Master, SW. Even the new SONY Japan multi~CH SACD in that special 7" packaging contains a very tepid surround mix!

Playing back normaly through the QS/Involve mode it sounded a lot like 4 speaker stereo. On an album like that there's not much in the way of slap echo or effects that the deocder can latch on to. Adding a bit of opposite phase pre-synth to thge stereo made a huge difference. Not ping pongy but gave a really nice sense of depth .

Playing back normaly through the QS/Involve mode it sounded a lot like 4 speaker stereo. On an album like that there's not much in the way of slap echo or effects that the deocder can latch on to. Adding a bit of opposite phase pre-synth to thge stereo made a huge difference. Not ping pongy but gave a really nice sense of depth .

I did comment in another thread that the NEW SONY JAPAN Multi~CH SACD did sound better than the original SONY 00 release and if you find it at a good price, I do highly recommend it. That 7" packaging for Tapestry is a major PLUS.

https://www.importcds.com/tapestry-hybrid-sacd/4547366319606

Here's a post from a blog I follow that seems right at home in this thread. He also has a presence on Facebook, and covers a wide range of music that overlaps with my taste more often than not. YMMV. Edit- whoops, I'm getting forgetful, this same blog had a brief thread roughly a month ago. Sorry.

The Music Afficionado- 1970 Progressive Music Pt 1

1970-Progressive-Music-part-1.jpg

Back