BluRay Music Video Poll VARIOUS ARTISTS: Clapton Crossroads Festival 2010 [DTS-MA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray disc of The Crossroads Festival - 2010 Release

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Content, Poor Fidelity

• Total voters

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2010 Blu-Ray disc of the Crossroads Festival.....

The Crossroads festival DVD from 2007 (also in Chicago) was very well received here as an example of a great live surround mix courtesy of Eliot Scheiner enhancing the spectacular playing of some of the greatest axe men on the planet. This new version keeps some of the same players from the previous show and adds a few more (Bert Jansch, Earl Klugh, Warren Haynes, Keb Mo, ZZ Top, Johnny Lang, Ron Wood & Citizen Cope to mix. Here the track listing along with players; view the entire press release here;

http://media.rhino.com/node/8431

Track Listing

Disc One

1. “Promise Land” – Sonny Landreth w/Eric Clapton

2. “Z. Rider” – Sonny Landreth

3. “Traveling Shoes” – Robert Randolph & The Family Band

4. “Going Down” – Pino Daniele, Joe Bonamassa, Robert Randolph & The Family Band

5. “Killing Floor” – Robert Cray w/Jimmie Vaughan & Hubert Sumlin

6. “Six Strings Down” – Jimmie Vaughan w/Robert Cray & Hubert Sumlin

7. “Waiting For The Bus” – ZZ Top

8. “Jesus Just Left Chicago” – ZZ Top

9. “Gypsy Blood” – Doyle Bramhall II

10. “In My Time Of Dying (Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed)” – Doyle Bramhall II

11. “Bright Lights” – Gary Clark Jr.

12. “Long Road Home” – Sheryl Crow w/Derek Trucks, Susan Tedeschi, Doyle Bramhall II & Gary Clark Jr.

13. “Our Love Is Fading” – Sheryl Crow w/Eric Clapton, Doyle Bramhall II & Gary Clark Jr,

14. “Blackwaterside” – Bert Jansch

15. “Mississippi Blues” – Stefan Grossman & Keb’ Mo’

16. “Roll And Tumble Blues” – Stefan Grossman & Keb’ Mo’

17. “One More Last Chance” – Vince Gill w/Keb’ Mo’, James Burton, Earl Klugh & Albert Lee

18. “Mystery Train” – Vince Gill w/James Burton, Albert Lee, Keb’ Mo’ & Earl Klugh

19. “Lay Down Sally” – Vince Gill w/Sheryl Crow, Keb’ Mo’, Albert Lee, James Burton & Earl Klugh

20. “Angelina” – Earl Klugh

21. “Vonetta” – Earl Klugh

22. “Who Did You Think I Was” – John Mayer Trio

23. “Ain’t No Sunshine” – John Mayer Trio

Disc Two

1. “Midnight In Harlem” – Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi Band

2. “Coming Home” – Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi Band w/Warren Haynes

3. “Soulshine” – Warren Haynes

4. “Don’t Keep Me Wondering” – David Hidalgo & Cesar Rosas w/Derek Trucks

5. “Space Captain” – Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi Band w/Warren Haynes, David Hidalgo, Cesar Rosas & Chris Stainton

6. “Five Long Years” – Buddy Guy w/Jonny Lang & Ronnie Wood

7. “Miss You” – Buddy Guy w/Jonny Lang & Ronnie Wood

8. “Hammerhead” – Jeff Beck

9. “Nessun Dorma” – Jeff Beck

10. “Crossroads” – Eric Clapton

11. “Hands Of The Saints” – Citizen Cope & Eric Clapton

12. “I Shot The Sheriff” – Eric Clapton

13. “Shake Your Money Maker” – Eric Clapton & Jeff Beck

14. “Had To Cry Today” – Steve Winwood & Eric Clapton

15. “Voodoo Chile” – Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood

16. “Dear Mr. Fantasy” – Steve Winwood & Eric Clapton

17. “The Thrill Is Gone” – B.B. King & Ensemble

No word yet (I have checked all the various official and unofficial sites) on DTS HD MA and/or who did the surround mix. But I have the first 2 Crossroads sets and they are all time favorites of mine with the most recent 2007 show a top 5 personal fave.

Watched a few bits of it over the past 2 weeks and thought it warranted more attention as soon as I can get the time to sit down.

Kal

Its good to know Eliott mixed this one too. I played the hell out of the last set and can't wait to crack open this one too.

Just picked this up at BB today for $21.99 (the BB version has an exclusive bonus disc with 5 add'l tracks plus interviews). First concern was that the Bluray packaging did not indicate DTS MA HD - just DTS. However, I can confirm that it is DTS MA HD on the disc -whew! Tons of stuff to listen to before I comment in detail. Listened to the first track - Sonny Landreth w/Clapton "Promise Land" - on fire!

I watched the whole thing yesterday and imho it's great.......this is how Blu ray concert discs should be done.

So far I got a chance to watch disc one, some great performances, excellent picture and sound (Can't comment on the 5.1 as I can only take 2 channel from my playstation 3 and run it thru the sansui variomatrix) but I'm leaning toward prefering the last set overall for better performances and mixes of the artists together. Elmer, what were the 5 additional performances on the BB disc and is it bluray? Thanks

Just picked this up at BB today for $21.99 (the BB version has an exclusive bonus disc with 5 add'l tracks plus interviews). First concern was that the Bluray packaging did not indicate DTS MA HD - just DTS. However, I can confirm that it is DTS MA HD on the disc -whew! Tons of stuff to listen to before I comment in detail. Listened to the first track - Sonny Landreth w/Clapton "Promise Land" - on fire!

Hey Elmer.
That worried me too - especially given the DTS logo on the packaging is the old, Core Audio type moniker.
Still - I only paid £13.99, and noticed straight away that Elliot mixed it.
Fired up disc 2 first - needed to hear the Blind Faith material - and got even more worried when the audio options were simply "stereo" and "surround".
Immediate fears of a repetition of the Clapton/Winwood MSG BluRay where the surround was DTS core audio (same as the SD version) were dispelled once the disc loaded and I was mightily relieved to see DTS-HD MA when I hit the AUDIO button on the remote.
Phew.

Will review & vote properly later....not had time to play it yet (Voodoo Chile on now - hope it's the full length version like the MSG show)

Astounding concert disc! Great performances. Highlights for me were; “Our Love Is Fading” with Sheryl Crow, Eric Clapton, Doyle Bramhall II & Gary Clark Jr, “In My Time Of Dying (Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed)” with Doyle Bramhall II, and “Soulshine” with Warren Haynes. And of course the last set with Steve Winwood, superb as always.

I did an A-B comparison of the "Crossroads 2010" BD to the "2007 Crossroads" DVD. (I realize I'm comparing apples to oranges here) but I think Elliot Scheiner's mix on the "07" had more going on in the rear speakers than his mix on the "2010". The improvement in the quality of the sound and picture are striking differences between the two. For mix the "07" still wins, for audio and video the "2010" BD wins. The content and performances on both are mind-blowing.

It still gets a 10 from me, a must have!

Dennis

I did an A-B comparison of the "Crossroads 2010" BD to the "2007 Crossroads" DVD. (I realize I'm comparing apples to oranges here) but I think Elliot Scheiner's mix on the "07" had more going on in the rear speakers than his mix on the "2010". The improvement in the quality of the sound and picture are striking differences between the two. For mix the "07" still wins, for audio and video the "2010" BD wins. The content and performances on both are mind-blowing

Dennis

Agreed - the mix is definitely not up to Elliot's usual standards, as he has oddly opted for the "20 rows back" mix this time instead of the immersive bits he did on the 2007 DVD (BTW, Elliot did not do all the 2007 disc either - Chuck Ainley did a lot of it) and the stand out sections for me are the Clapton/Winwood ones, but the sound is just not as well mixed on the 2010.
So, 2007 is the better mix in part, but 2010 is higher quality.

I did an A-B comparison of the "Crossroads 2010" BD to the "2007 Crossroads" DVD. (I realize I'm comparing apples to oranges here) but I think Elliot Scheiner's mix on the "07" had more going on in the rear speakers than his mix on the "2010".
And that's one reason I really like the "2010!"

Kal

And that's one reason I really like the "2010!"

Kal

And the main reason I don't! that sort of mix is just big stereo, and not "proper" surround.
I'd rather have straight stereo than reverb in the rears making me think I am at a soundcheck.
Bring it on as Elliot did on the 2007 version with the Clapton/Winwood Blind Faith tracks - now THAT is 5.1!!
Any idiot can repurpose a stereo master into pseudosurround by ignoring the centre channel & putting reverb in the rears - oh, hold on - they did on the new DM album!!

I just got this set and have listened to the first disc and I also own the 2004 and 2007 Crossroads DVD releases and enjoy both of those sets. I will wait to vote until I have listened a couple of times but I love this one so far.

A 9. Clapton, Winwood, Beck, Burton and keb' Mo. Wow! If I recall, I so wanted to attend that year at Toyota Park in Bridgeview, IL. Since I have health issues with being in the sun/heat, as does my then partner, we opted not to go. It was nearly 100 that day. Bought the Blu-Ray and wasn't disappointed. Did get to see Clapton/Winwood around that time, and call me fussy, but I was underwhelmed. Bought the Blu-ray of that, too.

A 9. Clapton, Winwood, Beck, Burton and keb' Mo. Wow! If I recall, I so wanted to attend that year at Toyota Park in Bridgeview, IL. Since I have health issues with being in the sun/heat, as does my then partner, we opted not to go. It was nearly 100 that day. Bought the Blu-Ray and wasn't disappointed. Did get to see Clapton/Winwood around that time, and call me fussy, but I was underwhelmed. Bought the Blu-ray of that, too.

That Clapton winwood bd needs work. I bought it and turned right around and sold it. DTS? no MA?? The only reason I bought it was the audio- fussy little shit are not I?

Back