HiRez Poll Various Artists - INSIDE THE MUSIC: CLASSIC CROONERS [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Various Artists - INSIDE THE MUSIC: CLASSIC CROONERS

• 10: Great Fidelity, Great Surround, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-Audio disc of various artists. (y):phones(n)

TRACK LIST

1. Ain't That A Kick In The Head - Dean Martin
2. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me - Mel Carter
3. Red Roses For A Blue Lady - Vic Dana
4. Spanish Eyes - Al Martino
5. Ramblin' Rose - Nat King Cole
6. (You Don't Know) How Glad I Am - Nancy Wilson
7. Fever - Peggy Lee
8. Danke Schoen - Wayne Newton with The Newton Brothers
9. It Must Be Him - Vikki Carr
10. Love Is A Hurtin' Thing - Lou Rawls
11. More - Bobby Darin

The title itself is somewhat of a misnomer, since women cannot be 'crooners'..Silverline shoudla put the women in their own comp, THE TORCH SINGERS, something like that. Quibbles aside, this collection suffers from the same malady as SURF'S UP: the material's vintage leaves most tracks not really well served by the 5.1 format, so the mixes are limited in scope.

A few oddities: Peggy Lee's "Fever" is a rerecording and not the 1958 'hit' version. And what's up with Bobby Darin? He had several big hits for Capitol, but we get "More," which was not one of them(to be fair, the other artists are well represented, though I'd have preferred "Mary In The Morning" over the more popular "Spanish Eyes").

ED :)

I bought this because it was cheap, and because I had most of the others in this Silverline series. It's OK, I suppose, but as Ed points out the surround mixes ain't much (for good reason, but still!)

Nat King Cole's "Ramblin' Rose" has one of the better mixes. It's a real shame that Peggy Lee's "Fever" isn't the studio cut but a live recording without anything to recommend it surround-wise, as it's my favorite track. The Lou Rawls tune seems to be recorded at a lower volume.

If I'm in the mood for this sort of thing, I'm more likely to grab the Rat Pack or Sinatra at the Sands DVD-As. I think this one is a 4 -- ouch!

Mark Z

Think I rated this one a '5' though it should also be pointed out the sound quality is exceptional, it's the mix and choices of songs that aren't so good. Nowhere near what it should have been.

ED :)

Back