HiRez Poll Various Artists - INSIDE THE MUSIC: CLASSIC ROCK [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Various Artists - INSIDE THE MUSIC: CLASSIC ROCK

• 10: Great Fidelity, Great Surround, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-Audio disc of various artists. (y):phones(n)

TRACK LIST

1. Bad to the Bone - George Thorogood & the Destroyers
2. Rebel Yell - Billy Idol
3. Green-Eyed Lady - Sugarloaf
4. When The Night Comes - Joe Cocker
5. Heartbreaker - Pat Benatar
6. Everybody Wants You - Billy Squier
7. Centerfold - J. Geils Band
8. Change - John Waite
9. My Town - Michael Stanley Band
10. Time Won't Let Me - The Outsiders
11. On The Road Again - Canned Heat

I was also struck by how great Canned Heat sounds. I have been listening to this disc a lot lately. The Outsiders and Sugarloaf aside... the mixes are really great. I also really like Change by John Waite and Rebel Yell by Billy Idol. THey sound really full and have some nice movement in the speakers. On the Billy Squier track the roar that starts the track is in the rears and the opening guitar riff brings in the fronts. Nice touch there as well. Over all I gave this one an 8.

The Canned Heat track is the main reason to have this one in your collection. The rest is hit or miss, and not a lot of it sounds 'classic' to me. It does seem as if most of these were taken from multitrack sources, but not the Outsiders or Sugarloaf tracks, which don't have much going on, alas, and one wonders why they bothered.

ED :)

Another one of Silverline's best.

Mixwise, When the Night Comes, Centerfold and On the Road Again are outstanding. Change and Rebel Yell are good also, though more conservative. My Town is a very nice mix, if anyone cares.

The one obvious fake track is, unfortunately, Green-Eyed Lady -- the one I would have valued most. Guess they couldn't dig up the multitrack. Seriously, can anyone tell me even what they were attempting here? Anyone familiar with the track will recognize the quirks (dropouts, etc.) from the stereo master.

One thing that isn't mentioned much on this series is the sonics. Though I would still put New Wave a notch higher, the overall mastering quality here is very good.

Well, not only that, but it's the Lp version of "Green Eyed Lady." If anyone wishes proof that brevity in music is a good thing, this is a great example of intelligent, judicious editing that takes a limp, repetitive performance and whittles it down to the essentials, with excellent results(in other words, one can understand why it became a hit).

But why a tape without a multi was used to make a faux 5.1, when there must have been other recordings that had multis? Your guess is as good as mine....

ED :)

I actually like the LP cut of GEL.
Repetitive? Sure, but isn't most pop to a degree?

The single version is far from perfect.
Some of the edits are lame, and the track is so choppy it never really develops any romantic sense.

I actually never thought much of this song until I scored a sealed copy of the original LP for a buck. Never heard that version on the radio once.

As for the multitracks, it's a safe bet they're lost.

Let me bring this thread back up to the top. I finally (after 10 years or so) had a chance to "explore" this DVD-Audio disc. It was one of my first DVD-Audio discs and was before we found out what Silverline titles would really be like.

The interesting thing is that this disc is salvagable. In fact, it can sound quite good but some corrections are required to be done.

In the interests of music preservation, I present my guide to correcting "Inside the Music : Classic Rock"

If you look at page 7 of the booklet, you'll find that tracks 2,5 & 8 were mixed by Ken Cailat, tracks 4 & 6 were mixed by Rick Ruggen, track 7 by Claus Trelby and tracks 9 & 11 by Dennis Mays. The person or people responsible for tracks 1, 3 & 10 wish to remain anonymous.

The reason this is important is that each person performing a mix used there own settings for 0dB and nobody ever bothered to correct the levels when the tracks were combined on the disc. This is particularly important for the LFE channel.

So, the first correction is to make the following changes to the LFE levels:

Track 1 = -7 dB
Track 2 = -9 dB
Track 3 = -7 dB
Track 4 = +3 dB
Track 5 = -10 dB
Track 6 = +1 dB
Track 7 = -3 dB
Track 8 = -10dB
Track 9 = -3 dB
Track 10 = -1.5dB
Track 11 = +1.5dB

You can see that the levels are relatively consistent among each person performing the mixes. It is only compared to the other mixers that the levels become wildly different.

On top of this problem, an edit was missed on "Centerfold". At about 2:40 into the track a 8.38 second edit is required so that the track matches the familiar version of the song. I guess you could consider this the long version, but the extra phrase sure throws off the rest of the song.

If you do the above and take a listen to the newly corrected DVD-Audio disc, it is quite listenable and enjoyable.

I calibrated the system and also used Beatles "Love" and Eagles "Hotel California" to verify that my levels were correct before coming up with these levels.

Hope that helps someone. Maybe we should start a new subtopic called, "Correcting Silverline"?

Andy

Last edited:
one down....just a few hundred to go....

Yes, this would be one of those "hobbies" I would never expect to actually complete. This was probably one of the easier titles to correct. The worst part is that the "fixes" weren't that difficult.

I know this won't shock anyone but it seems that Silverline just didn't care. May they rest in peace (or pieces).

BTW, I changed the track 4 LFE level just slightly (needed a bit more punch).

If someone could make the Greg Kihn Band disc sound good - that would be impressive!

It's a motley crew sonically & mix-wise, but I still like it. Also, it sounds a bit treable-heavy to these ears. Billy Idol, J. Geils Band and Canned Heat are the winners here.

8. I bought this the first day it was out. 4 of the tracks aren't to my taste. The other 7 are stellar. Some of the mixes are no great shakes, others are very nice. This is one of my most played DVD-A's.

If you don't have it, that's why you need it. - Yogi Berra

I like the selection of tunes on this, but I have to say, the mixing leaves much to be desired. Sonically, it's great. But the mixes themselves are seriously lacking. There are some significant differences in the 5.1 mix of Centerfold, for example, that leave you thinking...aww man, that part should be cooler. And the Billy Squier track has exactly zero balls. Everybody Wants You is a benchmark rock song. And here on this disc, it feels like a badly presented car commercial.

There are some tracks on this disc that sound great, both sonically and with regards to the 5.1 mix ---> Bad to the Bone is excellent. But the fact that they half-assed the Billy Squier tune completely ruined it for me.

41E9NGCSA1L._SY300_.jpg

Back