HiRez Poll Various Artists - INSIDE THE MUSIC: NEW WAVE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Various Artists - INSIDE THE MUSIC: NEW WAVE

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters
I have at least 5 of them....the New Wave one, Classic Rock, Classic Jazz, Classic Country, a Surf Rock one, and......I think there may be at least one more.

The inlay card I have shows 8. Those 5 plus New Age, Classic Crooners and one called Women on Top. Which is either female vocalists or has much more video content than the others. :).

All tracks originate from one of three labels: Capitol/EMI, Chrysalis, and IRS. The Knack were on Capitol, so who knows why they were unable to obtain the multitracks. This disc is exec-produced by Ken Caillat, a respected veteran whose three-decade-plus career included both the original and 5.1 mix of Fleetwood Mac / Rumours. I'd sure like to have a talk with him about MS and that crappy Surf's Up disc.

At the time, EMI owned all those labels. With access to so much catalog and only looking to put 11 tracks on a disc created specifically to show off 5.1, it doesn’t make much sense that they would use anything for which they didn’t have access to the multi-tracks. But anything’s possible.

I think they are all legit 5.1s. I just think the various engineers had different philosophies over how to mix them.

But I wasn’t there so I could be wrong.

Geez. After reading so many “buyer beware” posts, I was reluctant to pick this one up, but found one cheap so I figured why not.

I’m not seeing what the problem is. If any of the tracks here are upmixes, then they are pretty damned good!

The biggest issue I have is they are inconsistent. But that probably is to be expected with 4 different engineers across 11 tracks. The only one that sounds really iffy to me is “One Way or Another” with mostly reverb in the center channel and not much going on in the rears. But I hear discreet elements on every track.

The track selection is what it is. I like all the tracks and remember them all fondly. But “So LA” was only ever an album cut, and I never considered Red Rider to be “new wave”, but oh well.

“She’s A Beauty” is demo material. Makes me wish there were full Tubes albums in surround. Missing Persons too! And Blondie!

I know there is good reason to dislike Silverline releases, but I’m not having any issue with this one. Fun memories! A “9” from me!
From what I remember the Red Rider song on this disc is a little different from the mix on the album. Either a bit longer or shorter. Been a while since I listened so can't remember exactly what.

I have 8 discs of the series. Sound and mixes are all over the map, but I still find them enjoyable. I think you can still find some of these fairly cheap, too.

New Wave is overall one of the better ones, worth it to me for the Wall of Voodoo track alone -- I just love the Mexican Radio cut, which ironically I most remember from the eighties on the radio while driving up a two-lane in the Rockies at night during a massive snowstorm.

I have 8 discs of the series. Sound and mixes are all over the map, but I still find them enjoyable. I think you can still find some of these fairly cheap, too.

New Wave is overall one of the better ones, worth it to me for the Wall of Voodoo track alone -- I just love the Mexican Radio cut, which ironically I most remember from the eighties on the radio while driving up a two-lane in the Rockies at night during a massive snowstorm.

A couple of the tracks I wasn’t sure I knew. Until I heard them and then I was like “oh YEAH!” I hadn’t heard the General Public or Red Rider tracks since I was hanging out in clubs in the 80s.

The Motels track I knew well because I played the “All Four One” album a LOT back in the day. But haven’t heard that one either in probably 30 years.

Missing Persons was one of my very favorite bands in the early 80s.

It took me back for sure.

Nice collection to have.

There is an interesting footnote in the little white box near the bottom of the of the case. It says:

"Playback from 2-channel DVD player outputs is compatible with stereo and Dolby Pro Logic reproduction."

I could not find a dedicated 2-channel stream on this disc. (DVD Audio Extractor only lists two streams and they are both 5.1.) So I've got to wonder how these songs are mixed given that the 5.1 tracks are manipulated to sound good in stereo and Pro Logic. I listened to a few of them in Pro Logic and they weren't as good as in the native 5.1. Anyone find a 2-channel stream on this disc?

Really, for what they were charging for these Inside the Music MLP DVD~A 5.1s back in the early 00's, IMO, was worth EVERY penny [$12~15*]. This album, especially, was delightful from beginning to end! Inside the Music NEW AGE is probably the best in terms of consistently discrete tracks and pretty amazing fidelity.

[*available even cheaper from Amazon third party vendors over the ensuing years]

Played this for the first time in a long time and actually enjoyed it - some good mixes: The Tubes and Missing Persons tracks work really well, and a good selection of tracks - I'll go with an 8

I could not find a dedicated 2-channel stream on this disc. (DVD Audio Extractor only lists two streams and they are both 5.1.) So I've got to wonder how these songs are mixed given that the 5.1 tracks are manipulated to sound good in stereo and Pro Logic. I listened to a few of them in Pro Logic and they weren't as good as in the native 5.1. Anyone find a 2-channel stream on this disc?

I take that to mean that playing the two channel down mix with Pro Logic will give good results.

There is an interesting footnote in the little white box near the bottom of the of the case. It says:

"Playback from 2-channel DVD player outputs is compatible with stereo and Dolby Pro Logic reproduction."

I take that to mean that playing the two channel down mix with Pro Logic will give good results.
Well, that's what they claim, but I think it actually sounds like shit decoded with Pro Logic.

The total irony of all these Silverline Inside the Music series is that they were all derived from the vaults of Capitol Records, years before the UMG buyout and the label, if you recall, released a scant few DVD~A 5.1 releases and only a couple of mch SACDs, most notably Dark Side of the Moon [after being paid handsomely by SONY to switch allegiance from DVD~A to SACD] and then sadly ceased both multichannel DVD~A and SACD production altogether.*

*Except for a few dualdiscs in MLP DVD~A 5.1:

61GWQRFSV1L.jpg
61FMJNT0FJL.jpg
61ZP24VP3DL.jpg

Last edited:
Used to always vote low on silverline titles for the fake stereo and poor fidelity on a majority of tracks. I've made some changes of some things with my set-up most important the AVR.
I've listened again and appreciated these more, besides my not wanting to vote lower than 5. This has a track from one of my favorite bands and it's not too awful (Tubes).
This release has 6 tracks of 11 that I like but the quality is all over the spectrum, I won't nit pick every little nuance but rate it just above my bottom of 5 to a 6..........Wait !.....a minute it's the Tubes "She's a Beauty" bumps it to 7...... Damn I wish my two favorite LP'S by the band were 5.1.... I own original pressings of the White Punks on Dope (the Tubes) and Young and Rich also have the CD's of both besides the music seeing them Live was awesome ....... I chuckle now just thinking of it...... Good shit........Hell of a front man photo is tame.f5fdde04072f2be83a547d16d3579685.jpg

Used to always vote low on silverline titles for the fake stereo and poor fidelity on a majority of tracks. I've made some changes of some things with my set-up most important the AVR.
I've listened again and appreciated these more, besides my not wanting to vote lower than 5. This has a track from one of my favorite bands and it's not too awful (Tubes).
This release has 6 tracks of 11 that I like but the quality is all over the spectrum, I won't nit pick every little nuance but rate it just above my bottom of 5 to a 6..........Wait !.....a minute it's the Tubes "She's a Beauty" bumps it to 7...... Damn I wish my two favorite LP'S by the band were 5.1.... I own original pressings of the White Punks on Dope (the Tubes) and Young and Rich also have the CD's of both besides the music seeing them Live was awesome ....... I chuckle now just thinking of it...... Good shit........Hell of a front man photo is tame.View attachment 46547
That double live Tubes was great as well

This release has 6 tracks of 11 that I like but the quality is all over the spectrum, I won't nit pick every little nuance but rate it just above my bottom of 5 to a 6..........Wait !.....a minute it's the Tubes "She's a Beauty" bumps it to 7...... Damn I wish my two favorite LP'S by the band were 5.1.... I own original pressings of the White Punks on Dope (the Tubes) and Young and Rich also have the CD's of both besides the music seeing them Live was awesome ....... I chuckle now just thinking of it...... Good shit........Hell of a front man photo is tame.View attachment 46547
I saw The Tubes at the Roxy in '75. Blew my mind.

Back