HiRez Poll Various Artists - INSIDE THE MUSIC: SURF'S UP [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Various Artists - INSIDE THE MUSIC: SURF'S UP

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-Audio disc of various artists. (y):phones(n)

TRACK LIST

1. Surf City - Jan & Dean
2. Pipeline - The Ventures
3. I Live For The Sun - The Sunrays
4. Dance, Dance, Dance - The Beach Boys
5. Ride The Wild Surf - Jan & Dean
6. No Matter What Shape (Your Stomach's In) - The T-Bones
7. Summer Means Fun - The Fantastic Baggys
8. The Little Old Lady From Pasadena - Jan & Dean
9. Sail On, Sailor - The Beach Boys
10. Theme From 'Endless Summer - The Sandals

I gave this a 6 just because of the great songs. Most all are fake, ie derived from stereo tapes. Fidelity is pretty good.

Pretty cheesy but not altogether bad. I never knew there was so much reverb anywhere...

I'm not so sure about the alleged fake...

edit: I've just played through this disc again. Which tracks are supposed to be fake? Where is this reverb?

Last edited:
For most of these, the multis would've been 3-track at most...and so, whether multis were used (which seems doubtful) or these were processed into 5.1, either way not much to work with, and so limited in 5.1 terms. Decent sound, however, and a good (if not phenomenal )track selection. The Sandals little gem was an inspired choice to finish the album....

As a surround disc, though, can't rate this any higher than '3'....

ED :)

The Beach Boys "Sail on Sailor" is fantastic...but Dance Dance Dance is woeful..

Agreed! "Sail On Sailor" is the mix highlight of this set...hell, the only one, alas....

hit and miss in more ways than one...
Well, yes...mostly miss, IMO, after listening to it just now. And while it won't have anything to do with my rating of the disc, the song selection is at times a crying shame. For one thing, why "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena" and not the superior "Dead Man's Curve"? Why "Dance, Dance, Dance" and not(to note a remixable example), "California Girls"? And how can you choose "Pipeline" for the Ventures when A)they actually had more than a few hits, and this was an Lp cut, a cover of the Chantay's superior original, and B)it must have been(judging by the result)taken from a 3-track mix? Sheesh...

The real dud here is "I Live For The Sun," though this does confirm something I forgot to ask Steve Hoffman about way back when. On the DCC BEACH CLASSICS, which Steve compiled and remastered, he used a stereo underdub of this one, from the original session tape(3-track, presumably). That's the one used here. Trouble is, while it may sound more 'surf music' this way, it isn't the original mono/stereo mix, and certainly NOT the hit version, as it lacks the brass overdubs used on the original recording. Granted, brass may not have been what the band or surf fans may have wanted, but removing them has also removed the hit. Worse, the sound is dull here, with a mix to match. Bleh....

The best I can give this one is a '4', unfortunately(a revision of my original impression in the previous post. Mix aside, the sonics are very good here, so it goes up one notch for that). Not sure, even if better songs had been used that it would rate a lot higher unless a mix of "Good Vibrations" had been assembled. Wouldn't we all go ga-ga for a great mix of that great work, stereo or 5.1?

ED :)

7. There is a lot that's sonically/mixed wrong here. But the material ranges from good to superb. Sail on Sailor was one of several surround mixes tacked on to a Beach Boys DVD. One of the best Beach Boys tracks. Take it for what it is and enjoy. If the sonics/mixes were all superb, this would certainly rate a 10.

Back