HiRez Poll Various Artists - INSIDE THE MUSIC: WOMEN ON TOP [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Various Artists - INSIDE THE MUSIC: WOMEN ON TOP

• Total voters
off the top of my head the Silverlines that really struck me as very good from a surround point of view were..

Gordon Goodwin Big Phat Band - Swingin' For The Fences,
Gordon Goodwin BPB - XXL,
Gordon Goodwin BPB - Phat Pack,
Gordon Goodwin - Act Your Age,
Dar Williams - The Green World,
Dar Williams- The Beauty Of The Rain,
Todd Rundgren - Liars,
Josh One - Narrow Path,
Yellow Note - We Love Everybody... You're Next!!!!

Some are dual inventory with both DVD-A & Adv'd Res DualDisc releases, some DualDisc only, one CD + DVD-V Dolby Dig only (the most recent of the 4 x Gordon Goodwin's).. but all excellent surround mixes imho :)

LMAO! Wow, I Just purchased this used from Bullmoose for a few bucks. I had always ran backwards from buying due to the slamming of Silverline products.

I gotta say, for the few dollars I spent, I am way more than pleased. It certainly isn't lacking bass....and some of the songs and their respective surround mixes I thought were absolutely fun. I guess you could say, I often found myself smiling and cranking it. Heck, the very first tune by Blondie sounds great I think...as do a few others. I thought the Ike and Tina track sounded totally dull and lifeless compared to all the others and I could have done without.

I am going to vote an 8 I think. Maybe much of the vote is relative to the songs, which I love and well....I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe a 7.5...but I'll round to 8 in this case.

If you like the music and don't have this...and can find a used one for say, $9 or $10 shipped. Geez....get it. I doubt you'll be disappointed. :)

Women On Top! Who doesn't like that idea?? :banana:

I just picked this disc up off eBay. I quite enjoy the mixes though they are all pretty front heavy. Setting both my hi-fi at home and the deck in the car 2-clicks to the rear balances things out nicely.

Thing is, I bought this disc on the strength of one track - Nutbush City Limits.
Boy was I disappointed to hear this one. I'm pretty certain it's faked. Reason #1 is there is no remix credit in the booklet for only this track.
#2 there's vocal artifacts in the rear channels. The same artifacts that come around when you use Adobe Audition and use the "Vocal Remove" option in the Center Channel Extractor menu.

Granted, it's a good fake, but I'm 99.925% sure it's fake. All the other tracks are nicely discrete.

I just picked this disc up off eBay. I quite enjoy the mixes though they are all pretty front heavy. Setting both my hi-fi at home and the deck in the car 2-clicks to the rear balances things out nicely.

Thing is, I bought this disc on the strength of one track - Nutbush City Limits.
Boy was I disappointed to hear this one. I'm pretty certain it's faked. Reason #1 is there is no remix credit in the booklet for only this track.
#2 there's vocal artifacts in the rear channels. The same artifacts that come around when you use Adobe Audition and use the "Vocal Remove" option in the Center Channel Extractor menu.

Granted, it's a good fake, but I'm 99.925% sure it's fake. All the other tracks are nicely discrete.

Faked? It's the Silverline way...slipping in faked surround tracks among others that are really discrete. Some discs even have mono faked into surround, but they all usually sound nice and clean.

BTW if you really crank the rears up on Heart of Glass, you will note discrete content that does not readily present itself when the rears are kept at 0dB.

Used to always vote low on silverline titles for the fake stereo and poor fidelity on a majority of tracks. I've made some changes of some things with my set-up most important the AVR. I've listened again and appreciated these more, besides my not wanting to vote lower than 5. This is one of my wife's favorites not for audio but for the songs, doesn't matter to her as much about quality as long as it's not an MP3 she notices the improvements. So from a lowly 3 to a 6.......

Playing this disc over the years in my car (Panasonic and Mark Levinson 5.1) and never thinking it was very good sonically.
Just played it at home in 9.1 (adding Neural X for height) and now have a new take on this DVD. Maybe not worthy of a 10, but a solid 8--would have a 5 before today-- it's like hearing for the first time--and loving it😎

Playing this disc over the years in my car (Panasonic and Mark Levinson 5.1) and never thinking it was very good sonically.
Just played it at home in 9.1 (adding Neural X for height) and now have a new take on this DVD. Maybe not worthy of a 10, but a solid 8--would have a 5 before today-- it's like hearing for the first time--and loving it😎
1st post Rxbob ?
Welcome to the QQ forum ! I

Finally got around to voting an 8. A mixed bag, for sure, with some tracks discrete and some NOT. But it's all in 96/24 resolution and for the paltry price I originally paid .... nice to have it in my collection!

And welcome to the forum, Rxbob!

Last edited:
Back