BluRay Music Video Poll Various Artists - MUSICARES TRIBUTE TO JAMES TAYLOR [HD-DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the HD-DVD of Various Artists - MUSICARES TRIBUTE TO JAMES TAYLOR

• 10: Great fidelity, Great Surround Mix, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HD title. If you feel so inclined, include info on the type of equipment you are using for playback and your setup.

When voting, please remember that we're mostly interested in the quality of the sound and the surround mix as opposed to the video presentation, although in the case of these discs that would also be a consideration when contemplating a disc purchase.

Attachments

• jt front.jpg
    jt front.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 247
  • jt back.jpg
    jt back.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 262
I have to admit that I did not expect much from this disc, even though I've been a JT fan since the Apple album came out. However, after watching and listening to the performances by the "guest artists", I have to say this is a great disc!

I played this on my Toshiba A35/Denon 4308 system, and the reciever lit up as DTS HD Master Audio although it's not marked as such. The sound and surround are superb. The backgroud singers and some of the band instruments are sent to the rears which may infuriate "purists" but I think it gives a nice audio presentation. For example, on Secret of Life, the electric piano is in mostly in the rears.

As one would expect, the widescreen HD video is perfect and is shot pretty much as you would expect. The music performances range from good to great. Dr. John and Taj Mahal do a great job on JT's "Everybody's Got the Blues" and pretty much bring the house down. Sting does "You Can Close Your Eyes" solo on a very strange guitar-ish instrument that seems to be a combo 6 string and 12 string acoustic guitar. [EDIT: It's a lute! (Thanks elmer)] Bruce Springsteen comes on and does a Bruce version of Millworker that's a bit rough and at the end JT does a few tunes.

The audience is filled with stars, and in between there are a few filmed tributes, one from Jimmy Buffett that's a bit humorous.

I bought this disc because it was inexpensive and it was HD, and it turns out to be a pretty nice addition to the collection. If you like this type of music or these artists, I would highly suggest this title. The fact that it has an DTS HD Master Audio track is a plus for those having or planning on getting the equipment to play it back.

Now I know why the surround mix is so "good"!

MIXED BY: Elliot Scheiner

Thanks for the heads up Jon! Great deal - although the description is a bit confusing at Amazon - very difficult to tell that it is HD DVD - except for the "fine print." Several Amazon purchaser's gave it 1 "star" because it wouldn't play in their DVD players :mad:@: Just a note - the standard DVD is $16.99 so don't make the assumption that you are on the wrong page because the HD title is cheaper. Just ordered Toto "Live in Amsterdam" and Santana "Sacred Hymns" on HD too.

One last thing - perhaps you can add Yes "Live in Montreux 2003" HD DVD to the poll - an excellent presentation all the way around.(y)

......One last thing - perhaps you can add Yes "Live in Montreux 2003" HD DVD to the poll - an excellent presentation all the way around.(y)

I'll be adding that title and many more once either get them or find graphics for them. That one I'm sure I'll get.

(PS - Too funny that folks bought the HD-DVD, then bitched because it won't play. This is another reason why Blu-Ray has a marketing advantage. You know what you're getting with a Blu-Ray disc. Same problrm with DVD-A (but at least it was somewhat compatible). I think that all future products should steer clear of the letters "DVD"! :smokin )

" Too funny that folks bought the HD-DVD, then bitched because it won't play. This is another reason why Blu-Ray has a marketing advantage. You know what you're getting with a Blu-Ray disc."

I got the HD and it plays fine . Only had one movie disc that wouldnt play properly and sent it back for exchange . You certainly do know what you're getting with BD , Region Coding and the nastiest Drm ever invented .

Still love my Dvd-A though , really looking forward to the next Porcupine Tree :)

~M~

" Too funny that folks bought the HD-DVD, then bitched because it won't play. This is another reason why Blu-Ray has a marketing advantage. You know what you're getting with a Blu-Ray disc."

I got the HD and it plays fine . Only had one movie disc that wouldnt play properly and sent it back for exchange . You certainly do know what you're getting with BD , Region Coding and the nastiest Drm ever invented .

Still love my Dvd-A though , really looking forward to the next Porcupine Tree :)

~M~

I think you've missed the point - people were buying the HD version mistakenly - they thought they were buying a standard DVD and tried to play the HD DVD in their DVD player.

Glad to read between the lines that the Yes program is worthwhile; you never know with these titles. I'll wait for the Blu one

Glad to read between the lines that the Yes program is worthwhile; you never know with these titles. I'll wait for the Blu one

The band's playing on this title is top notch - the sound while not overly discrete comes accross well balanced in DTS HD (or plain ol' DTS for standard DVD). It's a great "live" sound/mix nonetheless.

HD is not kind to advancing years on the faces and expanding waistlines of some of our favorite artists, but the camera work is excellent and spends quite a bit of time lingering on the fretwork of Steve Howe - seals the deal for me right there!

Apologies in advance for going off thread here...anxiously awaiting the Musicares HD DVD from Amazon and will wait for the Yes poll to materialize before I post any further comments:eek:

Apologies in advance for going off thread here...anxiously awaiting the Musicares HD DVD from Amazon and will wait for the Yes poll to materialize before I post any further comments:eek:

Whaddya know! My copy of Musicares Tribute just showed up today - as Jon says an excellent "Scheiner surround" mix with good to great performances from a broad range of artists performing JT's hits. A few observations;

1. This must have been rushed to market for HD DVD because the package says only "PCM Stereo" - the set-up menu gives an audio option of either stereo or Dolby 5.1 - my receiver decodes DTS - not complaining just mildly confused for about a second.
2. Kinda neat to see Walt Fowler playing horn in the back-up band - Zappa fans will recognize him as a key member of the the Mothers back in the "Live at the Roxy Days" - now he looks like a horn playing accountant.
3. I am in awe of Jerry Douglas - he is the standard bearer for all Dobro players and the version of "Carolina On My Mind" with Alison Krauss on vocals is just plain beautiful.

This is the best of the few music HD DVDs I own. I have a few Eagle Rock titles and while they are entertaining, well recorded and filmed in HD - the surround mixes are pedestrian in comparison to this one. Surround gets a 10, performances an 8.5 and a 5 for Sting's massacre of "You Can Close Your Eyes" - if you're going to play the lute, master it first before you play it in front of an audience! An overall 8 - definitely a worthwhile HD DVD title. Especially for $10.99

Back