Quad LP/Tape Poll VARIOUS ARTISTS SAMPLER: Screen Themes [Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Screen Themes"

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
RCA Special Products DPT1-0073, from 1974.

Program 1:

Hugo Montenegro: Love Theme from "The Godfather"
Arthur Fiedler, Boston Pops: Georgy Girl
Arthur Fiedler, Boston Pops: Lost Horizon

Program 2:

Hugo Montenegro: Medley: Baby Elephant Walk; Moon River
Eugene Ormandy, the Philadelphia Orchestra: Theme From "Love Story"

ED :)

Howard Hawks' HATARI! from 1962, of course. Not a very good movie, since it was little more than a location trip to Africa for cast and crew who, yes, did most of their own stunts, but the story doesn't amount to anything except that everyone probably drank a lot and had a good time. Henry Mancini wrote score, and yes, the "Baby" sequence is cute, but the movie's light as a feather, utterly brainless. Good for a rainy afternoon if you don't want music.

I had the 45 of 'Baby Elephant Walk" as a child, and one day I took the portable record player outside to play it in the sun (and then forgot it). By the time I remembered, the baby elephant was walking up and down hills at 45 rpm. As John Hartford famously sang, "Don't leave your records in the sun, or they just won't play/just won't play/just won't play/just won't play/just won't play/just wonsskkskkkkkkk play anymore".

Howard Hawks' HATARI! from 1962, of course. Not a very good movie, since it was little more than a location trip to Africa for cast and crew who, yes, did most of their own stunts, but the story doesn't amount to anything except that everyone probably drank a lot and had a good time. Henry Mancini wrote score, and yes, the "Baby" sequence is cute, but the movie's light as a feather, utterly brainless. Good for a rainy afternoon if you don't want music.

correct! and as you said it was a bore. But I was a kid and for some reason it stuck in my head. Stupid ass movie!

I had the 45 of 'Baby Elephant Walk" as a child, and one day I took the portable record player outside to play it in the sun (and then forgot it). By the time I remembered, the baby elephant was walking up and down hills at 45 rpm. As John Hartford famously sang, "Don't leave your records in the sun, or they just won't play/just won't play/just won't play/just won't play/just won't play/just wonsskkskkkkkkk play anymore".

I bought the lp I was 11 then.

Mancini's HATARI soundtrack? Best thing about the film--and with few exceptions, the best thing about any film with a Mancini score--is the Mancini score, and this one has the usual quality material that you do remember despite how crappy the film was.

Wanna be scared? Lawrence Welk and not Henry had the radio hit with "Baby Elephant Walk"...and to float your boat even further, BOTH versions were remixed to quad, if I remember right: the Mancini version on the BEST OF Q8, and on Welk's Ranwood BEST OF Q8. A :yikes thought, huh? :D

Back