Veterans Day Salute

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. PUPSTER

💿🐕 Senior Disc Chaser 🎸
QQ Supporter
Went through most of today not realizing it was Veterans Day.

Here's to all our members who are in the Military or were in the Military keeping us safe.

My father was in Europe in W.W. II and was a gunner on a Halftrack with Quad 50's
R.I.P. DAD.

halftrack.jpg

Thanks to all our members here who served.

My dad just turned 90, was honored today at his memory care facility.
He can't remember his rank & years of service, but I hang on to the military IDs he carried in his wallet for 64 years.
Two WWII veterans from his home American Legion chapter answered the Last Man roll call this week.
⏳⌛🇺🇸

I have Veterans Plates, just as an edge in case I ever get pulled over for some minor violation (!!), hey it worked the one time I needed it. Anyway, it still freaks me out when I'm getting gas and strangers come over and thank me for my service. At first I think they're trying to sell me something!

As a Vietnam era vet who never shot anyone or got near a jungle, we were never thanked or looked at as anything but lower class citizens. In todays climate it's totally different but that was a useless war and we all got lumped into it and pretty much blamed for it. I do not want to skew political here, but I am glad that todays veterans are treated the way they are, and not like we were.

Fact of life, can't change the past, nobody cares anymore anyway, but that's how I feel.

I have Veterans Plates, just as an edge in case I ever get pulled over for some minor violation (!!), hey it worked the one time I needed it. Anyway, it still freaks me out when I'm getting gas and strangers come over and thank me for my service. At first I think they're trying to sell me something!

As a Vietnam era vet who never shot anyone or got near a jungle, we were never thanked or looked at as anything but lower class citizens. In todays climate it's totally different but that was a useless war and we all got lumped into it and pretty much blamed for it. I do not want to skew political here, but I am glad that todays veterans are treated the way they are, and not like we were.

Fact of life, can't change the past, nobody cares anymore anyway, but that's how I feel.

Politicians were to blame ! We were just serving our country . Well said Jon!

I'm also an early 70's Vietnam era vet.
My non-disclosure agreement with the Air Force/CIA was only for 20 years; so I can say now, that what I did was a little different.

My job was to monitor Soviet ICBMs that were being moved around via trains, so we knew where they were at all times. This was done via satellite surveillance.

That's about all I can say about it; hope I don't get a knock at the door! :unsure:

True words Jon.
When I enlisted in the late 80's I was called baby killer because of the general abuse of soldiers remaining from Vietnam. 5 years later and I started to get thanks. It is weird.
I would rather soldiers be thanked than abused for serving; if you want to abuse someone, go after those that sent them.

These days when someone thanks me I just smile, say thanks and tell them to do their part and vote; exercise that right that so many have defended. Heavy handed, sure.
And for the lineage, directly up my tree: Vietnam, Korea, WWII, Civil War, War of 1812, Revolutionary War.

Pupster - One of those uncles I mentioned was in that area in the late 50's doing green beret stuff before it was even mentioned as a conflict. He ended up doing a few tours . He did not like being here. He would go back as soon as they let him.

My father an atomic bomb war veteran...pacific ocean..operation crossroads

All of us kids have health issues as he was one of the guenia pigs...on island to help talk natives off of it...watch atomic bombs with sunglasses only protection...remove animals like goats n dogs off island after bombs...etc

My father an atomic bomb war veteran...pacific ocean..operation crossroads

All of us kids have health issues as he was one of the guenia pigs...on island to help talk natives off of it...watch atomic bombs with sunglasses only protection...remove animals like goats n dogs off island after bombs...etc
Yeah, we were gov't property. Military did what they wanted with us.

Thank you to all who served!
I can't say anything cause I wanted to join the AirForce as a young 'un...took me many a decade to find out that wars are basically useless (great for the "defense industry" though...)
the LAST REAL USA war was the Battle of New Orleans..and that was 205 years ago...but hey...
I still can't believe that Vietnam vets are not considered "real" vets in their own country...
RESPECT!!!

Big thanks for all our Veterans today! 🇺🇸

View attachment 59213
Thanks Pup. My late father served in WWII, my brother retired from the Army a couple of years ago after 25+ years, my nephew served 10 years in the Army, including two tours in Iraq, and I spent 3 years in the Army back in the 70’s.

I also want to extend a very special Happy Veterans Day and thank you for your service to @edisonbaggins!

Back